locus (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok i suck at locus... so i need to do some practise questions... only i'm slightly confused as to what topic they fit into in the success one book? coz i just want to pick out the questions but i don't know what topic they are under...thanks!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
that took me a while to find as well.. umm, now i can't remember. is there a section on parametrics?

i looked at the book, founf on and then found them in the front cover i think

Winston

HSC
usually its called quadratic polynomicals and the parabola

or just plain locus.

chris42

HSC
Yeah, I found it in the year 11 text book under the name locus and the parabola. Year 11 text book is your first point of call of understanding it.. Most important general formula to know is
(x-h)2 = 4a(y-k)2

Affinity

HSC
almost

it's (x-h)^2 = 4a(y-k)
not (x-h)^2 =4a(y-k)^2

choc-chip

HSC
i think they r not hard,but i alwayz mix up wif da formulas...
practice more might helps

samma

for locus, just remeber the distance formula, eqn of parabola, cicle etc etc...there is only so much they can ask us on it...from previous years, by the looks of things they cteered clear of locus, so lets hope they keep up with the tradition....meanwhile i need help with sketching the graph from the derivative???can anyone help????

bMaN oNe

HSC
Yeh sure, what's the eqn...Basically, if the derivative at point = 0, then on the graph its a turning point, then find out whether the derivitive on either side of that point is +ve or -ve, to determine whether the TP is a maximum or a minumum...and then draw in where it cuts the y-axis...and x-axis...
What are you talking about though...sketching the derivative graph from the derivitive eqn...or the original graph from the derivitive graph...etc??

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i bet we will get locus.. it's the only thing i can't do so we will get it

i think the basic idea of it though is to get an answer from x and y, eliminate the parameters

tempco

HSC
Argh not locus.... ARGH...

My school's first assessment had a locus question for Q10... I got 2/12 for that Q... >_<

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by bMaN oNe
What are you talking about though...sketching the derivative graph from the derivitive eqn...or the original graph from the derivitive graph...etc??
just remember all your calculus rules... if you think about it clearly it's not that hard... eg. turning points occur where y'=0
so if you have the derivative curve equal to zero then the original has to be a turning point...etc.. i think there is a good post on this somewhere {but it's in reverse - drawing f'(x) from f(x)} you just have to make apply to this question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)