log book question (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
with the log books, do we need to provide analysis of each source we use in terms of its reliability etc? i was thinking wouldn't that be really A LOT of wrok each we went about doing that to each one?

so far i have only pasted in info i got off the net, read thru and highlighted relevant parts but didn't reeli assess the source, is that absolutely necessary? would u get marked down on ur log books if u didn't?

if we did need to, how would u analyse each source? dont we need to know where its from? meaning we gotta find out about the web we got it from etc...isn't that a lil off track and could be time-consuming/wasting?

rositamadeline

questionable
HSC
i have no idea but i would really like to know???
and what is your topic?

xinxin89

HSC
i'm examing the book "Mao the unknown story" by Jung Chang who also wrote"Wild Swans". I wanna look at her context and how that's influenced her methodologies in depciting mao. I'm evaluating her book in terms of its role in the changing mytho of mao.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
"The process log should contain:
• description of procedures
• log of sequential development of the topic
• record of major decisions of the project
• review: cumulative self, peer and teacher evaluation of the project and record of
interviews."
-Syllabus

I think that implies that it needs to be more than just pasting in photocopies and highlighting them and so on. You need to write about what you're doing, what your methodology is, how you are locating and selecting sources, how you are developing your questions, what your understanding of the topic and the range of literature on the topic is, and so on.

Take notes about the sources you're using in your log and note your thoughts about them - what could the author's motivations be? Who are they writing for? What evidence do they rely on? Is that evidence contested? How do they form their conclusions? Who has challenged their conclusions? etc. etc. You'll need this sort of stuff in your essay, so use the log as a way to draft it all in a rough form. (Note this is for sources which provide significant information or opinions. You don't need to do this sort of thing if the source is just providing well-known dates or biographical info or so on, but check that it's all accurate.)

xinxin89 said:
dont we need to know where its from? meaning we gotta find out about the web we got it from etc...isn't that a lil off track and could be time-consuming/wasting?
Again, if you're using the site as a source of significant opinion or fact about your topic, you absolutely must must must find out everything you can about the author and make sure you can verify their claims and arguments. The last thing you want to do is rely on the rantings of some internet crazy in your essay. But again, if you're just using a web page for dates or biographical information or something, analysis is not really required, but you want to check the accuracy of everything.

el gwapo

HSC
hmm.. we're well in into the major work, just got back our proposals, when would the log book come into the equation?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
el gwapo said:
hmm.. we're well in into the major work, just got back our proposals, when would the log book come into the equation?

It should have been being worked on throughout the development of the proposal and throughout the entire project.

It is the record of the development of the project.

That being said, each teacher does things in a different way.

If in doubt - ask your teacher.

My students have to have a log book by the second period and are encouraged to write in them every time they work on their project - even it they simply write a comment like - 'read more stuff from xxxxxx but didn't locate anything new'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)