lol waf (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
chelsea girl said:
it's SYMBOLIC though. it's just, you know, kind of nice to know that the majority of people in this country are now a little bit less conservative and that we (touch wood) will not be regressing to a 1950's-nuclear-family-stepford-wives-esque state.
How does one reach such a conclusion from an election that was essentially about WorkChoices and the economic future of our country as framed by the leaders?

On a related note, ever since he became the leader of the Labor Party in the federal parliament, Kevin Rudd has gone to great lengths to frame everything in economic terms - education, health, indigenous affairs, etc.. If it was a political policy, it was presented to the public as a part of Labor's economic agenda. Nevertheless, a number of commentators have claimed that the recent election would be and was about the idea that "we aren't just an economy, we are a society", and that a vote for Labor differed to a vote for the Coalition in that a Labor vote supposedly represented something more 'altruistic' than a sense of 'economic self-interest'. Now that the election is over, it seems that quite a few still hold this "society, economy" idea to be true, despite the fact that Kevin Rudd's economic argument was just as widespread than the Coalition's. That Kevin Rudd's rhetoric (the future, workchoices, the future, workchoices, education, workchoices, etc.) seemingly softened the ALP's message doesn't change the fact that we are now no more a society than an economy than we were before.

Nobody should try and claim that the recent election represents a dramatic (or even a slight) socio-cultural shift. Yes, the government was turfed out, but that shouldn't be taken as a repudiation of every policy and political agenda pursued by the Howard Government over the previous 11 years. There is little doubt that the country will change (for the better, I hope), but such change will hardly be as fast and as widespread as many would like to believe. At the moment Kevin Rudd seems to be little more than a manager (much like a state premier), and only time will tell if he becomes an actual leader. Even then there's questions as to whether he will mellow or whether he'll keep the left in check and wholely pursue the Labor right's agenda.

ps, I saw the 'slight' and the 'touch wood', chelsea girl, but I have been meaning to say much of the above for some time, so please don't think that my poor excuse for an argument was directed at you.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

I strenuously disagree.

Rudd's claim to fame will be the constant maintenance of the Status Quo. That above all else.

I'd kill for social reform but, depressingly so, it remains beyond our populist grasp.
True (Mr Rudd's wordplay over the 'sorry' issue is evidence enough), but I'd like to think that there will be some change, no matter Kevin Rudd's desire to implement a stifling sense of stability.

Evilo

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
liberal supporters - get over it loal. democracy can be cruel...

besides if ruddling fucks it up we'll just vote him out next time. i highly doubt the whole country is gonna go to the dogs in three years.

chill, k.
i mean yeah, hes only got 3.5 years to fuck up the country before we can vote him out again.... nothing to worry about ;)

K

katie_tully

I don't see how drugs can be any more legalised man, srsly.
I'm going to work today, I'll come back and tell you how many free syringes I give out, how many actually come back (as they're supposed to) and how many of them tell me they trade sex/bourbon/their kids for drugs. I am being so deadly serious, the other day I had this old guy tell me he sold his house 2 years ago and he had still been paying home insurance so now he was being reimbursed 2 years worth of home insurance. I WONDER WHERE IT WAS GOING.

I'm just saying... A greens senate after July would be shit.

K

katie_tully

besides if ruddling fucks it up we'll just vote him out next time. i highly doubt the whole country is gonna go to the dogs in three years.
Yeah, *wipes forehead*, other than FUCKING THE COUNTRY, what is the worst he can do?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Cheap as from the governments. Guaranteed Level of Qualitee
actually canada (or may have been california) had legal medical marijuana that was so shit customers wanted to return it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)