looking for a fun/easy elective (1 Viewer)

amad_nugent

HSC
N/A
so i'm in third year electrical engineering and absolutely sick of all the math that dominates my life. i have the option of picking 2 electives for next sem. i'm looking for something that is pretty easy and something i can score some decent marks without having to completely stress over it. something from the arts faculty maybe?
music? anything other than engineering really:hammer:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
What do you enjoy? Government? News and current events? History? Psychology?

amad_nugent

HSC
N/A
What do you enjoy? Government? News and current events? History? Psychology?
i'm really interested in music, and been playing guitar for like 6 years.
But apart from that i'm not interested in anything else in particular.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
ive heard ANHS 1601 - Foundations of Ancient Rome is pretty good, if your into that.

then there is philosophy - PHIL1013 society, knowledge and self. im doing that and it looks pretty interesting.

psychology is interesting but the exam is heaps hard. I did PSYC1001 this semester and i expect PSYC1002 will be much the same.

witide

HSC
This may come as a surprise, but perhaps you should look at taking a music elective.

Alternatively, wait for next year. First semester linguistics might be a really good side thing as an engineer. There's a lot of analysing data and problem solving involved and the workload is pretty small. You don't want to fall into the trap of choosing an arts elective thinking it's easy, then get bombed down with readings and essays. A language would also be a good option, but again you can only start them in first semester.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
psychology is interesting but the exam is heaps hard. I did PSYC1001 this semester and i expect PSYC1002 will be much the same.
That Psyc textbook is HUUUUUUUUUGE. Not what I'd call easy reading. :p

spence

HSC
Critical Thinking is easy, and I found it interesting. It's a second year philosophy subject but it doesn't have any pre-reqs. And first year psych is interesting, although it's a fair bit of work

amad_nugent

HSC
N/A
hmm critical thinking and linguistics sound good, i might look into them.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
perhaps history and philosophy of science? There's a subject on The Scientific Revolution (HPSC3016) in sem 2 which I don't think has any pre reqs (though if it does have pre reqs, it would just be 6 credits worth of HPSC). Might be interesting for you as it looks at the history of mathematics from a historical and philosophical perspective.

or What is this thing called Science? is relatively interesting and quite easy to get a credit/distinction in, as long as you do the readings and know how to write essays.

amad_nugent

HSC
N/A
i found a first year macroeconomics subject as well
Apparently most people doing it cant properly differentiate and integrate, so i shouldnt be having much problems with that.:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)