Looking for a laptop that likes being used over 10 hours a day..? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
A mac can still fuck up hardware wise, and its even more of a bitch fixing a macbook due to its case design.
By which you mean it's free cause you're a twit if you don't have it under warranty, right?

Buy a macbook. The UI is fantastic, the customer service is generally decent and the trackpad shits all over anything else you'll find.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
By which you mean it's free cause you're a twit if you don't have it under warranty, right?

Buy a macbook. The UI is fantastic, the customer service is generally decent and the trackpad shits all over anything else you'll find.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
love macfanboys trying to justify the insane price for the shitty specs they pay. love. it.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Also, why are US laptops so much cheaper than the laptops you buy in Australia? I was looking at a toshiba satellite t350 or something and it was no more than 700USD. Unfortunately it was from the US and they won't ship to australia, and then i went around looking for australian laptops and similar toshiba laptops were at least 1100$
Same reason games are $40 more expensive here then america most probably.

And if it isnt under warranty? You are pretty much screwed.

As for the GUI, you can similar ones with Linux spin offs.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Same reason games are $40 more expensive here then america most probably.

And if it isnt under warranty? You are pretty much screwed.

As for the GUI, you can similar ones with Linux spin offs.
Buy a three year warranty. It costs $180 off ebay. After 3 years it's about time to replace anyway. Secondly it's not about the appearance, bells or whistles, it's about usability.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
hahahah they are not real thinkpads don't be silly, they are just the redheaded step brother of netbooks.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
hahahah they are not real thinkpads don't be silly, they are just the redheaded step brother of netbooks.
Watch it buddy, I'll get all 2% of the world's gingers onto you...

:D watch it.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I got my first Macbook 2 and a half year ago. Recently, I got a unibody Macbook Pro. I gave my old one to my brother. It still works fine :S It has had an issue or two, but nothing that couldn't be fixed within 15 minutes.

I can get an 8 hour battery life out of my Mac if I am continuously surfing the net, listening to music and word processing. It starts depleting faster if I run Logic Pro or watch a Movie. Still, it's pretty good.

They are expensive though... Lucky I got both my Macbook's as presents XD Pretty sure that barely anyone could refuse a Macbook Pro if it was a gift hehehe.

Btw, a priceless combination for me, is getting a mac and installing VMWare Fusion and Windows XP. That way, there are no compatibility issues, and you can run both OS's at the same time =]

My two cents lol.

auriga

HSC
1005PE ASUS netbook can last for AGEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
They are expensive though... Lucky I got both my Macbook's as presents XD Pretty sure that barely anyone could refuse a Macbook Pro if it was a gift hehehe.
Watch me.

joshhunt

HSC
Don't touch a Mac, you're paying more for something worse than what you could get for the same price if you bought with Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Dell, HP etc.
But they also offer things that no other brands do, for any price.

Macs cost more, but they are 100% worth it.

joshhunt

HSC
No they don't.
Having used a Macbook for the last 6 months as my sole computer, I can guarantee they most certainly do. They have:

• OS X (although this is always a very subjective point)
  • MASSIVE 'glass' trackpad with multitouch gestures
  • Solid aluminium chassis (if you drop it, it would only dint, not crack)
  • Back on the internet in less than 5 seconds (with wifi) from putting it to sleep
  • MagSafe power adapter

There is not really just one massive selling factor of a Macbook (excluding the trackpad). In reality, it is so attractive because of all the small, minor details that have went into it. And that is what counts. Apple thinks about the things that other companies gloss over.

OS X

So much thought has went into the design and functionality of OS X. If there was one word you would use to describe it (from an objective point of view), it would be 'consistent'. Command + a in ANY text box will select all of it's contents. Spell checker is built into EVERY app with a text field. Drag-and-drop images or other files to load them (in the 'Open file' dialog box, dragging a file into the dialog box will automaticly navigate to that file and select it for you)

Trackpad

The trackpad on the Macbook is simply the best ever designed in the history of computing. I challenge you to find one better. It is just so big (bigger than the screen on the iPhone) and smooth. Here, size does matter. None of that rough textured stuff I have seen too often on other laptops. Because the trackpad has multitouch (which, I must say, it not exclusive to Apple), it is so much more functional than a regular trackpad. Instead of having to click a different button to right click, or use a keyboard shortcut, I just click (or tap, which ever way you go) with two fingers. It just comes so naturally. To scroll smoothly in any application, just use those two fingers again and scroll. None of that jumpy, jerky, on-the-side movement on other laptops.

If you are going to use a laptop for more than 10 hours a day, you are going to want to make sure it's method of input is actually usable.

Aluminium chassis

The case of the Macbook is carved from a single, solid block of aluminium. It is light, solid and strong and will best any other laptop out there. My friend's macbook got bumped in his school bag, and instead of the case cracking, it just got a dint in the side.

Speed

Using a Macbook is just so seamless. Want to quickly browse the web? Just open it up and browse in just a few seconds. On Windows, you have to wait for it to come out of sleep and resume and sort all it's stuff out. None of that with a Macbook. Just open it, use it, and shut it to put it to sleep, putting it into an effective power saving mode.

The MagSafe power adapter is just ingenious, and you can tell my Apple patented the shit out of it. It just 'sticks' there when you want it to, but breaks away nice and easily when it needs to. Using small magnets, it just 'sticks' into it's plug-thingy and charges your Macbook. I know it is just how you plug it in, but it does make a whole world a difference. It really is a testimony to how much though and effort Apple put's into it's products.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
About to get a new 13" after stepping on and cracking the screen of my MSI x320.
Never going atom again. It became sluggish as hell with fairly basic multitasking.

Can't spend more than 1k. The cheaper the better.

I've been looking at the HP-DV3 series at $8-900 and couple of Asus notebooks.
The HP has the best specs at that price I've found.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Having used a Macbook for the last 6 months as my sole computer, I can guarantee they most certainly do. They have:

• Back on the internet in less than 5 seconds (with wifi) from putting it to sleep
  • MagSafe power adapter

There is not really just one massive selling factor of a Macbook (excluding the trackpad). In reality, it is so attractive because of all the small, minor details that have went into it. And that is what counts. Apple thinks about the things that other companies gloss over.

OS X

So much thought has went into the design and functionality of OS X. If there was one word you would use to describe it (from an objective point of view), it would be 'consistent'. Command + a in ANY text box will select all of it's contents. Spell checker is built into EVERY app with a text field. Drag-and-drop images or other files to load them (in the 'Open file' dialog box, dragging a file into the dialog box will automaticly navigate to that file and select it for you)

Trackpad

The trackpad on the Macbook is simply the best ever designed in the history of computing. I challenge you to find one better. It is just so big (bigger than the screen on the iPhone) and smooth. Here, size does matter. None of that rough textured stuff I have seen too often on other laptops. Because the trackpad has multitouch (which, I must say, it not exclusive to Apple), it is so much more functional than a regular trackpad. Instead of having to click a different button to right click, or use a keyboard shortcut, I just click (or tap, which ever way you go) with two fingers. It just comes so naturally. To scroll smoothly in any application, just use those two fingers again and scroll. None of that jumpy, jerky, on-the-side movement on other laptops.

If you are going to use a laptop for more than 10 hours a day, you are going to want to make sure it's method of input is actually usable.

Aluminium chassis

The case of the Macbook is carved from a single, solid block of aluminium. It is light, solid and strong and will best any other laptop out there. My friend's macbook got bumped in his school bag, and instead of the case cracking, it just got a dint in the side.

Speed

Using a Macbook is just so seamless. Want to quickly browse the web? Just open it up and browse in just a few seconds. On Windows, you have to wait for it to come out of sleep and resume and sort all it's stuff out. None of that with a Macbook. Just open it, use it, and shut it to put it to sleep, putting it into an effective power saving mode.

The MagSafe power adapter is just ingenious, and you can tell my Apple patented the shit out of it. It just 'sticks' there when you want it to, but breaks away nice and easily when it needs to. Using small magnets, it just 'sticks' into it's plug-thingy and charges your Macbook. I know it is just how you plug it in, but it does make a whole world a difference. It really is a testimony to how much though and effort Apple put's into it's products.
Alright let's see. Your claim about command+a in a text box, every OS does that it isn't special. And the spell check feature depends on the program.

The trackpad, I don't see why you would need a big one and scrolling on normal trackpads is exactly the same as using a scroll wheel if you aren't retarded. Also how hard is it to click the right button on a trackpad? Not very.

The aluminium case, well yes fair point but most laptops are made so they don't get damaged(not even dented) when dropped. Leneovo(formerly IBM) have been making them for years.

Your speed point, it generally depends on the hardware within. A netbook will take longer to start-up and be ready to browse than a top end laptop running the same OS, so this is not a definitive point. And without video proof of this I'm reluctant to believe your point.

Also their are numerous problems with the magsafe power adaptor. There are currently law suits against Apple due to it being a fire risk because of it being prone to overheating and frayed wires. While there are other problems involving the plug separating from the cord, transformer shorting and the pins losing elasticity. Also foreign material may build up on the magnetic ports creating a short.

Seriously those are all subjective or not well researched points.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC

• MagSafe power adapter
OS X

No... Spell checker in every field gets annoying when user name and password fields, Internet addresses etc generally aren't words...

Ctrl + A selects all the text in most windows in Windows... the ones that you would need to select it... same as triple click...

Lots of thought and research also went into Windows 7... but Mac charges you for the equivalent for a service pack...

Trackpad

The trackpad on a Mac is a personal thing... I personally hate it. If I'm using a trackpad to replace a mouse, I just want it do what a mouse does... two buttons, left and right click... If I even use the trackpad...

It is also not always the most responsive of touchpads...

The best touchpad ever was the one in the old Dell Inspiron laptops... I used to be able to play Unreal Tournament GOTY online with it and be competitive. :)

If you want to use a Laptop more than 10 hours a day you want to use a mouse so you don't get hand cramps....:uhhuh:

Aluminium chassis

1) It doesn't mean jack all... if the parts inside move around it's going to get damaged... MacPros can get as damaged as easily as other laptops if a part moves inside.

2) Sony business models also have this. So It WON'T best any other Laptop out there. In fact, the Sony ones are tougher by far than the MacPros (of course they're more expensive, but they are much better than the Macs)

Speed

Using a Linux Distro, or setting up Windows with the right configuration you can achieve this...

They short out easily, fall out without you noticing so in the middle of an important task they run out of battery... They're ok... the magnets are a somewhat iffy idea... seeing the amount of computer parts that are damaged by magnets....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)