Looking for Alaska (1 Viewer)

SaraJayne

HSC
This book killed me! I bawled! What did you guys think of it?

pigas

HSC
I think John Green is overrated.. Looking for Alaska really wasn't so great as everyone made it out to be, not to mention it was pretty predictable..

People always reccommended me to read books by him. First I read Paper Towns. I thought it was OK, not my type of book. Then I read the Faults in our stars and that would be one of his better book, but still not that great.. I mean I understand it, the meaning and all, it's good, but I just feel the way he writes it isn't good. Then I read LFA and Alaska really reminded me of the girl in Paper Towns (forgot her name). I feel like his stories are similar in some aspects..

Sorry lol this is just my opinion. Not saying he isn't a good writer or anything but his books are REALLY overrated, especially LFA

claird

HSC
Has anyone had to study this book. I have to write a reader centres approach and am really struggling. Any help would be great.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Revival of an old thread, but I am currently reading. So far, not into it as much as TFIOS. Keep posted though I spose.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I loved looking for Alaska. I couldn't get past the first page for tfios. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I loved looking for Alaska. I couldn't get past the first page for tfios. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems everyone is polarised on which JG novel they like most. I will have to read Paper Towns sometime as well to have three to weigh in on.

dim-sims

HSC
I thought this book was pretty average. It's kinda just your bulk standard YA novel - boy infatuated with girl, smoking, teenagers acting rebellious etc etc

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone had to study this book. I have to write a reader centres approach and am really struggling. Any help would be great.
What's a reader centres approach? Is it like a study guide?

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
I absolutely love Looking for Alaska! My all time fav book
Whilst the TFiOS was a good read, there was something about LFA that sucked me right in

theoctopus

HSC
Yeah, I found Looking For Alaska a bit predictable as well, definately my least favourite out of his books but still a good read I guess.
I really liked An Abundance of Kathrines though, in my opinion, it was pretty amazing and one of his more underrated books.
Will Grayson Will Grayson was pretty good as well :)
I really liked TFIOS but it's just been receiving so much attention lately that it's been a bit off putting, it's always in my face and there's so much hype surrounding it that I'm sort of over it. I mean, at first it was pretty good and I love it when other people get into what I'm reading but it's just been everywhere, like an overplayed song :p

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
^ an abundance of Katherine's was a very interesting read.

I think once something goes mainstream it has a generally off putting effect on the original audience. It's great for sales though.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
While I did enjoy it, I don't agree that it's all that it has been hyped up to be. TFiOS was a lot more deserving of its praise.
I love The Fault in Our Stars - one of my favourites. It will be sticking with me for a long time

^ an abundance of Katherine's was a very interesting read.

I think once something goes mainstream it has a generally off putting effect on the original audience. It's great for sales though.
I didn't really like the Abundance of Katherine's to be honest. It was difficult to understand and all the footnotes, equations etc. were so annoying!

phcan

HSC
despite a lot of people's negative criticism about the book, i love the way john green has written this book even if it is quite predictable. Albeit i would still consider looking for alaska one of my favourite books of all times.

turntaker

HSC
I really liked it. I read it a couple of weeks ago. I have not read the fault in our stars yet.
It was really well written and very easy to read. Would recommend

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I love LFA and TFIOS, although I will admit that ever since he has become popular it leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth lol but I'm happy for him! I remember preordering TFIOS before it was released and he literally hand-signed every single preordered copy.
Anyways, I've read the rest of his books and I could never quite enjoy Paper Towns or Katherine, and I thought Will Grayson was okay. I actually really enjoyed Let It Snow though, which he cowrote with Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle.

Orwell

HSC
Easy read, demolished that book. Not a good read though lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)