• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Looking to buy a Laptop; Should I get a Mac OS or stick with a Windows OS? (1 Viewer)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah i have a vaio, its um a vgn-cr35g, 2gb ram, 2.1ghz, stuff like that.... mine is white. its pretty fucking awesome

michael1990

HSC
withoutaface said:
...but word 2007 works on XP, you mong.
State the obvious stupid.
But it was made for compatability with Vista. It wasn't made for XP was it?

Evilo

HSC
mr_brightside said:
The brief:
She really likes OS X and wants to use it as an operating system but isn't really sure cause she's always used Windows.

The solution:
Mac. Dual boot both operating systems.
I'm not going to go into mac vs pc debates but a macbook does what she wants.
no, learn vista (cos its like exactly the same as xp and continue with your life.

Dual boot is for retards who just cant decide, just like those dumb-ass housewives in my liquor store who buy beers for their husbands and don't know which brand to choose - even though the husband has been drinking the same brand for 30 years. Its not a fucking choice, pick the one he likes!

Also I look down on you mac scum, i've used the OS and frankly its shit. The mac gives you like 3 choices, Itunes, photo view, and firefox. There's no games, functionality and the mac tells YOU what to do.

To quote maddox, to own a mac you must be
" # An artist.
# In a band.
# Unemployed (see above). "

/thread

EDIT - You know what FUCK YOU, im gonna glass the next mac owner i see. actually im going to the mac store in sydney tomorrow to find a lil bitch

Last edited:

L-esky

HSC
'you can't drag n drop'

I drag and drop stuff on my mac all the time. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
and as for games, I don't see the need for them so that makes no difference to my life. I've only ever used Itunes (for a while) because Windows Media broke down on one of our old computers and Itunes was a lot hardier. Mine came with Iphoto installed and picture viewer plus you can put other photo viewing programs on if you don't like those ones.
They may not suit all people but it doesn't mean Mac is shit.
Just like Windows doesn't suit me, but for people who it does, it is great.

HSC
mr_brightside said:
The brief:
She really likes OS X and wants to use it as an operating system but isn't really sure cause she's always used Windows.

The solution:
oh i like both, but if i was buying a new computer today it would be a PC

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
If you like the OS X interface, you can just run a theme in Vista that effectively makes the interface exactly the same as the OS X one.

I wouldn't get a macbook, but we use them at work. I have to say i like the OS X interface alot more than windows XP/vista. It's a pity that you can only have it on a mac though (legally anyway...google is your friend for those curious about OS X on a PC). I'd say for an average computer user who isn't comfortable in building PC's/customising or choosing parts/doesn't game, a mac is a very viable option. Even moreso with the macbooks if you don't game.

In fact, wouldn't OS X be the only reason for buying a mac vs a PC nowadays? The hardware is pretty much the same now (move to x86), and there are 'mac clones' out there that copy the design and aethsetics of the case/monitor etc. (I think they were called Psystar, but last i read they were getting sued by Apple). Even for artists recording music/videos and stuff, i can't see the benefit of using a mac over a pc with the exception of having OS X.

edit: re psystar...here we go http://www.informationweek.com/news...tml?articleID=209100229&subSection=Management

Evilo

HSC
goony said:
there are 'mac clones' out there that copy the design and aethsetics of the case/monitor etc.
I used to own a toshiba portege a200 - it looks like a mac :(

bawd

HSC
mr_brightside said:
The brief:

The solution:
Precisely.

AsyLum said:
If you want things out of the box get a Mac.

If you want to play games don't get a Vaio or a Mac.
I'm not a big game player, for entertainment I meant movies and music. And it must be able to multitask, so definitely a 2GB+ RAM.

hollyy. said:
oo get a sony vaio, simply because they are pretty. im planning to get the pink lizard one for uni.
Edit: my sister has one and she likes it.
Yeah, I also want a Vaio because of its cosmetic appeal. All other laptops seem to be really mundane in comparison.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
mr_brightside said:
The brief:

The solution:
Evilo said:
no, learn vista (cos its like exactly the same as xp and continue with your life.

Dual boot is for retards who just cant decide, just like those dumb-ass housewives in my liquor store who buy beers for their husbands and don't know which brand to choose - even though the husband has been drinking the same brand for 30 years. Its not a fucking choice, pick the one he likes!

Also I look down on you mac scum, i've used the OS and frankly its shit. The mac gives you like 3 choices, Itunes, photo view, and firefox. There's no games, functionality and the mac tells YOU what to do.

To quote maddox, to own a mac you must be
" # An artist.
# In a band.
# Unemployed (see above). "

/thread

EDIT - You know what FUCK YOU, im gonna glass the next mac owner i see. actually im going to the mac store in sydney tomorrow to find a lil bitch
See Red bolded point in Size 7.

Evilo

HSC
mr_brightside said:
See Red bolded point in Size 7.
okay, you don't have to respond - but mac is an inferior piece of shit :)

HSC
I like both, i think in certain things are inferior about a mac just as i think there are things that are inferior about a IBM-compatible.

It all depends what you want it for. in the OP's case I think a PC is better.

G

Gavvvvvin

i want a mac so i can look all artistic when all i can really do is apply filters in photoshop

HSC
I think macs are good but not the macbook air, it is crap and continually locks up, macbook, or macbook pro are cool. However I think that i would by a PC more because it is more suited to what i want

JUSTINISANGLO

HSC
Lol at all the anti mac faggots in this thread that probably can't even program or use a computer that well.

Mac is a superior platform for developers.

[/thread]

It's personal choice, though, just like any other shit.

HSC
Another idea could be a linux operating system.I am currently trying ubuntu, i like it, it is great once you set it up the way you want.

bawd

HSC
Evilo said:
and are subsequebtly quite expensive.
No problem. Education tax refund FTW. One of the reasons I am even contemplating getting a laptop, because I live below the relative poverty line, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)