Looking to buy a Laptop; Should I get a Mac OS or stick with a Windows OS? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
I'm planning to get a lap top. One that is versatile, good for Educational use as well as entertainment value. I'm currently looking at the Sony Vaio series (not sure which model), and I'm wondering if you can get a different OS loaded onto the Sony Vaios or do I have to stick with Microsoft Vista? Having said that, I have never used a Mac before (but saw the sexy new interface at a Harvey Norman store and couldn't stop drooling over it).

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
get a mac get a mac get a mac get a mac get a mac get a mac

I bought an iMac late last year and it has been nothing but awesome.
They take a bit of getting used to put you will prefer it once you've used both Windows and OS X

HSC
i was using a mac today to type something up.
it may just be me, but im very frustrated by the lack of a right-click function.

i dont really mind vista.

mr_brightside

HSC
scaredytiger said:
i was using a mac today to type something up.
it may just be me, but im very frustrated by the lack of a right-click function.

i dont really mind vista.
that's just the default behaviour of OS X.

You can set your might mouse to right click or you can hold CTRL whilst clicking

mr_brightside

HSC
and when you do know how to use them, you'll realise it's awesome to use.

agua.fuego

HSC
mr_brightside said:
and when you do know how to use them, you'll realise it's awesome to use.
I love macs... although mine's the whole Windows/Mac combo one, so I'll get used to Windows, then go on Mac and be going, "WHY ISN'T COPY/PASTE WORKING DAMMIT!" Then realise that the control button is useless. I have to press Apple.

bawd

HSC
My primary school had iMacs, but I don't remember what they were like, and that was back when all computers were fantabulously crap.

Does anyone know whether or not a Mac OS can be put onto a laptop with a MS OS (in my case, I want to use a Sony Vaio)? Or are Vaios crap and I should stick with a Mac laptop if I want to use their OS or buy a different laptop?

mr_brightside

HSC
bawd said:
My primary school had iMacs, but I don't remember what they were like, and that was back when all computers were fantabulously crap.

Does anyone know whether or not a Mac OS can be put onto a laptop with a MS OS (in my case, I want to use a Sony Vaio)? Or are Vaios crap and I should stick with a Mac laptop if I want to use their OS or buy a different laptop?
if you want to use OS X, buy a mac. You won't be able to put OS X on a Vaio (unless you have a fair bit of technical know-how).

All new Mac's come with Bootcamp Assistant, which will take a bit of your hard drive for use with a different OS. You then reboot and install Windows (on that bit of hard drive) like you would on any other PC. Once it's running windows you install the drivers from the OS X disc. easy.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you want things out of the box get a Mac.

If you want to play games don't get a Vaio or a Mac.

HSC
get a IBM-compatable (macs are also Pc's) Vista is great. You can do much more on a PC and i dont think that there is one thing you can do on a mac that mac that you can not do on a PC, other then run mac os not saying that it is bad but windows is better for the following reasons:
-compatability
-updated more easily
- easier to transfer information between computers

Most of the problems with vista has been fixed with the introduction of SP1 as well.

michael1990

HSC
With Vista.
Just make sure your running about 2Gb of ram and a Sata Hard Drive and you will be fine.

I don't like Vista but would rather it over OS as its terrible, the only thing its good for is Graphical Interactions and things.
But don't take my word for it.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
oo get a sony vaio, simply because they are pretty. im planning to get the pink lizard one for uni.
Edit: my sister has one and she likes it.

HSC
michael1990 said:
With Vista.
Just make sure your running about 2Gb of ram and a Sata Hard Drive and you will be fine.

I don't like Vista but would rather it over OS as its terrible, the only thing its good for is Graphical Interactions and things.
But don't take my word for it.
Vista is good once you know how to use it though.

I think alot of the issues people have with it are now gone with SP1,

but I agree with the 2 Gbs of Ram thing

michael1990

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
Vista is good once you know how to use it though.

I think alot of the issues people have with it are now gone with SP1,

but I agree with the 2 Gbs of Ram thing
I know heaps of people who love it.
Like my Uncle is an IT dude and he loves it. But didn't when it first came out.

The only reason i use it on my PC (not my lappy) is because of Word 2007 its awesome.

HSC
michael1990 said:

The only reason i use it on my PC (not my lappy) is because of Word 2007 its awesome.
I love word 2007, i am using it on Xp.

mr_brightside

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
get a IBM-compatable (macs are also Pc's) Vista is great. You can do much more on a PC and i dont think that there is one thing you can do on a mac that mac that you can not do on a PC, other then run mac os not saying that it is bad but windows is better for the following reasons:
-compatability
-updated more easily
- easier to transfer information between computers

Most of the problems with vista has been fixed with the introduction of SP1 as well.
The brief:
She really likes OS X and wants to use it as an operating system but isn't really sure cause she's always used Windows.

The solution:
Mac. Dual boot both operating systems.
I'm not going to go into mac vs pc debates but a macbook does what she wants.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
michael1990 said:

...but word 2007 works on XP, you mong.

L-esky

HSC
Last year our XP computer completely died (we'd had it for a long time) so we decided to upgrade to Vista. Within 2 days, it was completely screwed. My Dad is the main person who uses it and he's a bit technologically challenged and couldn't figure out how to use it, I'm not great with computers but am significantly better than both my parents and I also had huge issues figuring it out.
We've had nothing but trouble with Vista and Dad plans on going back to XP.
On the other hand, I bought a MacBook at the start of the year and have had absolutely no problems with it. It's a really good little laptop, does everything I want it to do. I use it for school work a lot and it does that really well. I'd mainly used Windows before buying it but had no trouble switching over like many people told me I might. I actually find it a lot simpler to use than Vista.
So basically, I have complaints about Vista, but none about Mac OS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)