Losing 10% if you stay home a day before an exam? (1 Viewer)

Integrity_x

HSC
I've been wondering; my school has been claiming that if a student stays home a day before an assessment or they come late to school the day of the assessment, that they lose 10% of their mark. (Which is for HSC) Is this true? They claim that the department of Education implemented this. I go to a private school, btw.

Also, as a year 12 student, do I have to attend every class at school? I have no free periods, I finish school every day at 5:00 and so sometimes I skip classes to study in the library just to catch up on work. Does it say anywhere on the board of studies website or whatever that we're not allowed to do this as students etc..

I know my questions sound stupid, but I find these policies pathetic.

Thank you.

fatima96

HSC
you're doing too many units, get rid of a subject and focus on your best 10, it will save you heaps of time and stress

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been wondering; my school has been claiming that if a student stays home a day before an assessment or they come late to school the day of the assessment, that they lose 10% of their mark. (Which is for HSC) Is this true? They claim that the department of Education implemented this. I go to a private school, btw.

Also, as a year 12 student, do I have to attend every class at school? I have no free periods, I finish school every day at 5:00 and so sometimes I skip classes to study in the library just to catch up on work. Does it say anywhere on the board of studies website or whatever that we're not allowed to do this as students etc..

Thank you.
Ha.

My school said the same thing. Next thing that occurred: half the school stayed home before every first assignment with no repercussions executed!

My coordinator said this back in term 1, though.

I don't stay home either way. I go to school to get some normalcy in my day, as oppose to sitting at home and saying "I have the whole day ahead of me" and then staying up till 3:00AM finishing an assignment.

HSC
In regards to the policy I'm not sure what the "Official Policies" are but I know my school has a policy implemented where if a student stays home in the morning then comes late to school before the assessment they will get 0 if they don't have a valid medical reason.

And of course you need to attend every timetabled class at school because that would be 'jigging' as far as I know! Why do you finish school so late or is that when you get home?

Also I agree with Fatima96 about doing your best 10 units instead because a lot more time to do work will open up in free periods.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I've heard of this kind of stuff happening at schools for years now, never happened at mine. (not that it would have affected me)

Integrity_x

HSC
So are you all saying that this policy is true?

How about in regards to skipping classes?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, it will depend on the school.

The school is technically allowed to pretty much give you 0 for the assessment if you don't have a valid reason for being absent the day before since it can be classed as misconduct and unfairness, though, the school should have a reason to believe this - innocent until proven guilty.

being late to school also depends on the circumstances - if you have a reason, they CANNOT punish you for it, especially if it's medical. Though, being late, alone, shouldn't be punishable (within reason).

Of course, this only applies to public schools. Any school is allowed to assess in whatever way they wish. They're technically allowed to assess things outside the syllabus and if they wanted to, they can probably give ranks in alphabetical order. It's beyond the realm of the control of BOS and DET.

Honestly, I don't understand why people would ever attend a private school. It is a great way of isolating yourself from reality and IMO, it's hardly better than a public school.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, it will depend on the school.

The school is technically allowed to pretty much give you 0 for the assessment if you don't have a valid reason for being absent the day before since it can be classed as misconduct and unfairness, though, the school should have a reason to believe this - innocent until proven guilty.

being late to school also depends on the circumstances - if you have a reason, they CANNOT punish you for it, especially if it's medical. Though, being late, alone, shouldn't be punishable (within reason).

Of course, this only applies to public schools. Any school is allowed to assess in whatever way they wish. They're technically allowed to assess things outside the syllabus and if they wanted to, they can probably give ranks in alphabetical order. It's beyond the realm of the control of BOS and DET.

Honestly, I don't understand why people would ever attend a private school. It is a great way of isolating yourself from reality and IMO, it's hardly better than a public school.
Good Samaritan Catholic College vs Hoxton Park High School

I.E. A safer environment where learning occurs and generally, a good ranked-school juxtaposed against an institution which is an avenue for selling drugs and/or committing crimes.

I know which one I'd pick.

Of course, the circumstance which I relate is extreme and there are areas which have decent schools all-round, but just because it is a minority, it does not exclude its existence!

If I was in the area I live in now, when I was entering high school, my personal situation would be much different.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Thank you.
Well its a private school so it can implement these policies if it wants, mine has it too and it makes absolute sense.

Why should an advantage be given to people who choose not to come to school just so they can study?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
This does not usually happen in public schools..

Cinndy

HSC
N/A
My school gives you a N award and an immediate zero mark if you don't have an doctor's certificate if you're absent the day before or come late to school on the day before the assessment..

kietkiet

HSC
Dude that sucks ...

I know for a fact my school doesn't care if you stay home a day before an assessment or HSC exam. In fact, they encourage it. It gives the last-minute procrastinating students a time to scrap together some marks.

Your school schedule seems extremely overkill ...

This is my school timetable: (I'm going for an ATAR btw)
Monday: 8:30 - 12:45
Tuesday: 8:30 - 12:45
Wednesday: 8:30 - 12:15
Thursday: 8:30 - 2:30
Friday: 9:45 - 2:30

I'm also on top of every class and ranked in the top 5 of my school.

Yay for Public Schooling ...

Moral of my bragging story ..
Public Schools > Private Schools

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Lololol I don't really understand how you could think that.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
My school didn't have this policy but it really should of, a few people decided to take a week off before trials and so many people missed the days before assessments.

Lina3

HSC
My (public) school has no such official policy, but I have had a teacher who enforced it herself.I suppose all schools are different.

BigBadBader

HSC
for my school we are not allowed to stay home the day before the exam. we have to be at school at 9 and leave a 3.10 even if we have frees on the day of the exam.

i see where they are coming from. if someone stays home and studies its not fair for the others, its either you all stay home (not likely) or no one.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Ha.

My school said the same thing. Next thing that occurred: half the school stayed home before every first assignment with no repercussions executed!

My coordinator said this back in term 1, though.

I don't stay home either way. I go to school to get some normalcy in my day, as oppose to sitting at home and saying "I have the whole day ahead of me" and then staying up till 3:00AM finishing an assignment.
lol hypocrite you did this yesterday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)