Losing weight to getting toned (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Hi!

I'm new to the whole weight loss thing but I also want to be toned by the end of everything.

I used to swim at state level for the good part of nine years and I was pretty well toned and everything but I got lazy during HSC and stopped swimming, putting on a looooooooot of weight.

I started trying to lose some weight this uni semester. I started at 92.6kg and was at 86kg by about finals week (early June) but stopped to study/got lazy and am now at 86.5kg. All I have done so far is basic cardio (running, skipping, and swimming) and changed my diet to try and include more protein and cutting out all junk food and soft drinks. Although the scales say I'm losing weight, I cannot physically see that happening and I don't really see it happening in the future either.

I was wondering whether I should continue my cardio or switch to weight lifting, or whether a combination of both lifting and cardio would be good to keep losing weight and get toned? I have heard that cardio can end up making you gain weight/lose muscle mass because of some chemical build up in the body or something (sorry, no idea what it was called but some of you might know it) so I'm not sure about how effective cardio is going to be anymore...

I am roughly 178cm tall, and I want to be around 75kg or under if possible and that's still healthy.

Thank you for any help in advanced!

Addison8100

HSC
According to recent research, going on a diet could increase the risk of developing potentially deadly conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. So, I always preferred natural ways in this regard. Swimming is the best exercise in this regard. I have been a swimmer my whole life and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to shape up.

Pool Supplies | Pool Accessories | Above Ground Pools

Last edited:

Frostbitten

HSC
According to recent research, going on a diet could increase the risk of developing potentially deadly conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. So, I always preferred natural ways in this regard. Swimming is the best exercise in this regard. I have been a swimmer my whole life and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to shape up.
That sounds like it was done for extreme dieting and some tool fat people will use to convince themselves that looking after your body is bad. Lawl.

Anyway to answer your questions.
If you want to lose weight you have to consume less calories than you burn. Depending on how fast you want to lose weight, you need to increase cardio and decrease foods such as pasta, rice, bread, excessive amounts of fruit and replace it largely with vegetables like spinach, broccoli and a whole bunch of others. If you want to "tone" in which case you want to build some muscle you will take longer to lose the weight as opposed to what I mentioned previously as you need to have some of these carbs such as pasta and a lot of protein (150g+ per day depending on your weight) to sustain muscular development. Also no, unless you are starving yourself and having very little protein (essentially just a very shit nutritional intake not meeting your bodily requirements) you will not lose your muscle and become fat from doing cardio.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
How can you make that conclusion? 'Going on a diet' has an infinite number of meanings.

Link to this study please.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
That sounds like it was done for extreme dieting and some tool fat people will use to convince themselves that looking after your body is bad. Lawl.

Anyway to answer your questions.
If you want to lose weight you have to consume less calories than you burn. Depending on how fast you want to lose weight, you need to increase cardio and decrease foods such as pasta, rice, bread, excessive amounts of fruit and replace it largely with vegetables like spinach, broccoli and a whole bunch of others. If you want to "tone" in which case you want to build some muscle you will take longer to lose the weight as opposed to what I mentioned previously as you need to have some of these carbs such as pasta and a lot of protein (150g+ per day depending on your weight) to sustain muscular development. Also no, unless you are starving yourself and having very little protein (essentially just a very shit nutritional intake not meeting your bodily requirements) you will not lose your muscle and become fat from doing cardio.
Say I want to lose 1kg/week (as I was when I made this thread and before I got lazy haha), is it still acceptable to have like 2 pieces of toast in the morning and ~150g of rice each night for dinner? This is hypothetically - I don't actually eat that much toast in the morning, but I do eat that amount of rice a day. I have heard that swapping basically everything to just eat dark green veggies is a great way to help weight loss, so I suppose I will definitely do that. As for the protein part I understand what you are saying, but is it still crucial in your diet when you are simply trying to trim fat from the body first?

Frostbitten

HSC
Say I want to lose 1kg/week (as I was when I made this thread and before I got lazy haha), is it still acceptable to have like 2 pieces of toast in the morning and ~150g of rice each night for dinner? This is hypothetically - I don't actually eat that much toast in the morning, but I do eat that amount of rice a day. I have heard that swapping basically everything to just eat dark green veggies is a great way to help weight loss, so I suppose I will definitely do that. As for the protein part I understand what you are saying, but is it still crucial in your diet when you are simply trying to trim fat from the body first?
The bread is fine as well as the rice, it would however be best to try do exercise on days you do if you want to maximise you weight loss as you will be having a higher caloric intake by having them. Also just make sure the bread isn't white bread and the rice is brown rice, there is heaps of benefits in doing so such as you feel full for longer, energy is released slower as they are less processed. If you don't really want to build muscle during your weight loss it is fine to have lower amounts of protein. Yeh, generally dark green leafy shit is pretty good, heaps of nutrients just less calories so your body will use your fat stores more. It is good to have a variety of vegetables though so you don't become deficient in nutrients dark green leafy vegetables can't provide, none of them are bad for you so go crazy with all of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)