• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Love of success or fear of failure? (1 Viewer)

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

What do you work for? The love of success or the fear of failure? And why?

For me, its both; I've got high expecations for myself but at the same time I'd like to feel that I've succeeded at the first major event in my life..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pimpcess.Snaz said:
What do you work for? The love of success or the fear of failure? And why?

For me, its both; I've got high expecations for myself but at the same time I'd like to feel that I've succeeded at the first major event in my life..
It's definitely because of love of success. I work hard to achieve success. It is as simple as that. When I study I never think of fear of failure as I don't even have one to begin with (or at least I hope so).

If it was because of fear of failure, I would not try as hard as I can. I try my best because of love of success. They don't really co-exist (in my opinion).

24hrs

HSC
I find that if I try to motivate myself through 'love of success' I will either become complacent in any successes I do attain, or de-motivated through lack of confidence (believing that I cannot achieve my desired ends).

Through fear (I'll warrant, a negative mentality) I am able to convince myself, that poor marks will result in detriment to my own successes in this stage of life, and disappointment, both personally, and from those around me.
When especially worried, the adrenaline gets pumping, and I can study like a madman (that is, relative to my own shabby standards :)) - this helps me out a great deal.

On the downside, however, this fear does sometimes impact on my overall happiness - when this hits, I try to remind myself of the light at the end of the tunnel - that when early November rolls around, I can goof off and fuck around as much as I like, and that this fear, is, all in all, a small price to pay for prosperity in the longer term.

Last edited:

SpoonSamba

HSC
love of success

i cant fear failing cos i am failing my ass so bad if i was scared of it i wouldnt be able to even get out of bed anymore

i dont even really mind doing bad, but doing really well (i.e success) well it does feel just sooo good.

like its kinda the same in sport with winning and losing, i'm not a bad loser but i just really like winning.

maybe i should go do some work now so i actually have a chance at succeeding...

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
fear of failure. :D

The more people that beat me, the worse I feel about it.

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

lyounamu said:
If it was because of fear of failure, I would not try as hard as I can.
Why not?

foram said:
fear of failure. :D

The more people that beat me, the worse I feel about it.
Lol couldn't this also mean you love succeeding over everyone else?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pimpcess.Snaz said:
It's much easier to pass an exam than getting high marks in an exam. I don't need to work hard to pass an exam (i.e. easy to overcome the fear of failure).

However, on the other hands, I need to work consistently, effectively and intelligently to achieve high marks in exam (i.e. success).

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

lyounamu said:
It's much easier to pass an exam than getting high marks in an exam. I don't need to work hard to pass an exam (i.e. easy to overcome the fear of failure).

However, on the other hands, I need to work consistently, effectively and intelligently to achieve high marks in exam (i.e. success).
oh.. I guess we define failure differently.. I see failing as not reaching your goal, whatever it may be... Succeeding would mean you have..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pimpcess.Snaz said:
oh.. I guess we define failure differently.. I see failing as not reaching your goal, whatever it may be... Succeeding would mean you have..
I thought you mean failure as in 'less than 50% in exam'. My definition of 'failure' is similar to yours. But I interpreted your statement incorrectly, sorry about that.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
lyounamu said:
It's definitely because of love of success. I work hard to achieve success. It is as simple as that. When I study I never think of fear of failure as I don't even have one to begin with (or at least I hope so).

If it was because of fear of failure, I would not try as hard as I can. I try my best because of love of success. They don't really co-exist (in my opinion).
+1

Lolz lyounamu you're always in the 2008 HSC discussions.

HSC
I define failure as less than you truly expected based on the effort you put in.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I am 1/5 HSC student. (2 units accelerated out of 12 units) :D :D :D

So I shall answer only 1/5 of posts in this forum.
Um, isn't that 1/6? :D :D :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Mine's more of the desire to succeed rather than the thought/fear of failure.

I've never really thought about the end results yet- just been taking each assessment/bloc of exams as they go, and so far, I haven't really stressed that much over the HSC nor epic failure. (might sound like a pack of lies but its true)

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

Kujah said:
Mine's more of the desire to succeed rather than the thought/fear of failure.

I've never really thought about the end results yet- just been taking each assessment/bloc of exams as they go, and so far, I haven't really stressed that much over the HSC nor epic failure. (might sound like a pack of lies but its true)
wow lol i really truly admire you.. That's what I've been trying to do but I'm always gonna have the fear of not getting into what i really want (pharmacy)

I wish I had that mentality from the start.. but all my tutors packed into me "hsc, hsc, hsc" so take it that hsc is easier than my school assessments, that wasn't a very good way of thinking

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamiyo

HSC
Love of success for most of them. Now I only fear failure in English.
It used to be: "Study hard so you can get a low band 6!"
Now it's: "Look at how badly you're going even with this effort! If you don't keep it up, you're going to get a band 4." :)
So I guess my motivation hasn't really changed.

sasa-o8

HSC
For me, it's the fear of failure. By failure I mean having alot of people getting higher marks than me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)