Low scaling subjects (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Nope, I beat and got very close to some students' ATARs in my grade who did high scaling subjects, with fairly low-scaling subjects. Of course some people got higher atars, but that's more likely to do with the extra effort and tutoring they went with. Personally if you get into your course you should be happy.

katoji

HSC
that's why the cunts that say that scaling doesn't matter when choosing your subjects should be shot on sight
That is - my deputy principal, who actually said "there is no such thing as scaling" (STRAIGHT OUT those words exactly) in a year 10 meeting about subject selection. He wanted us to do the subjects we wanted rather than for scaling, but that idiot should not have lied to us.

enoilgam

HSC
That is - my deputy principal, who actually said "there is no such thing as scaling" (STRAIGHT OUT those words exactly) in a year 10 meeting about subject selection. He wanted us to do the subjects we wanted rather than for scaling, but that idiot should not have lied to us.
Either he lied or did not know any better. As I have said before, some teachers have no clue when it comes to how the HSC and ATARs work.

katoji

HSC
Either he lied or did not know any better. As I have said before, some teachers have no clue when it comes to how the HSC and ATARs work.
Hmm yeah but he's a deputy, so you'd think he'd know...

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Well teachers tell u to pick subjects that u enjoy which you should get high in cause u enjoy it, in essence scalling shouldn't matter, but HSC is designed in such a way that u are kind of forced to pick certain subjects to succeed

Ezma

HSC
N/A
thts EXACTLY wat happened in my skl...:/ im lucky 2 hv doubted it

juliastegner

HSC
Tbh I think scaling counts no matter what anyone tells you. Had friends who got band 6's but didnt get over 90 .. and people who didnt get any band 6'es and even an e2 and got over 90 o0

D94

HSC
N/A
Tbh I think scaling counts no matter what anyone tells you. Had friends who got band 6's but didnt get over 90 .. and people who didnt get any band 6'es and even an e2 and got over 90 o0
I don't see why that scenario is unbelievable or anything out of the ordinary. For example, this person gets a Band 6 in English and Mathematics. Then they get 60 in all their other subjects. Clearly a 90 will not be achieved. Another person gets 89 for all their subjects except one which is an E2, but that doesn't count because they have >10 units. In this case, this other person will almost certainly receive 95+.

Scaling matters, but you still need to perform well in your subjects.

smurph16

HSC
Agree that mx1 and mx2 had less pull. Perhaps the harder mx1 exam put people off their other subjects

enoilgam

HSC
Scaling does exist, but it exists for a reason. I got just under 95 despite having band 6's in 7 units (subjects below in my sig). A guy in my year got 96ish with only one band 6 and mid-high band 5's (he did an "Asian ten" - MX1, MX2, adv eng, chem and physics). It would be foolish of me to think "ohhh, if I only did an asian ten, my ATAR would have been way higher". Why? - because if I did an asian ten, I probably wouldnt have even gotten a band 6 at all - I would have got low-mid band 5s because I wouldnt have been any good at those subjects nor would I have liked them. So yes, high scaling subjects are better for your ATAR - but you have to be good at them and you have to like them in order for the scaling to help you. This is why people should only pick subjects which they are good at and like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)