Mac Vs window Os platforms (1 Viewer)

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Yeah hit up MacOSX86 -> Check Leopard on Mininova, the driver support is quite substantial. (Most Intel Stuff will work fine (AMD Chipsets not so much)).
I'm thinking of virtualising an instance of Mac OS X on VirtualBox rather than doing anything rash...something tells me I'm in for a bit of a disaster....

HSC
Schroedinger said:
In the desktop compositing and multiple desktop stakes sure, in the framework availability and app quality (as well as appfolders) -> Not so much.
I disagree. As for app quality - that depends on the developer rather than the OS.

Linux is more workable, it has more features, it's more stable, etc.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Fact of life: proprietary software has more ability to be higher quality than free/open-source software (I don't say it as a definite, as M$ has proven...)

Why? Big companies can have big resources. How they use it, is up to them. If used well, they can pump out quality software. I'm yet to see an open-source game that kicks the butt out of proprietary games.

I have found Ubuntu 7.10 nice, but with some flaws when deployed on my laptop.

Last edited:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
I should've stressed the words 'has more ability' a bit more - which implies that it's not always the case. Apache shits all over IIS (+1 to you there Schreodinger)..lol

I guess it was bad grammar in any case. What I meant is that companies that develop proprietary software potentially have greater (and more centralised) resources that they can draw upon in development than open source can. I stress potentially there - M$ has huge development resources and still manages to screw up. On the flipside, there are companies who produce good quality software (in some cases, FOSS spinoffs).

For the record, I love open source software and use it where possible. That said, there are simply just some software that open source cannot provide a feasible alternative for my particular needs.

Moving BACK on-topic (slightly): Gonna have a look at this OSx86 thing that you speak of. How does the retail DVD detect that you're not using a Mac anyway? Is there not a way to write a VM to 'trick' the installer that you're installing on a Mac? Could be an interesting option for them VM developers to look at...(I'm assuming that it detects either the complete hardware configuration or that there's an ID chip in the architecture of some kind [BIOS?]).

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Oh right, on, so you have a \0 in the final field then?
In memory after the final field... probably. But you'll never be able to access it anway! =p

as for OP, go with whatever you're familiar with. each os is capable of doing everything (expect gaming on macs, hehe).

danielvh

HSC
Mac > PC is every way in my opinion except for price and games.

Much more stable/much less prone to infections, faster on the same hardware (compare similar spec computers running Vista and Leopard and the Leopard computer will blitz the Vista one), good support, slick interface, quality free/cheap apps, better features (eg time machine is so good it's ridiculous and iLife shits all over anything microsoft offers).

So imo, only go vista if you want to save your pennies or if you want to game (and even then, go XP).

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
with consoles taking most of the game industry these days, theres not much a market for mac users. its just not cost effective when you can reach a larger playerbase on windows.
so if they even do port them, sometimes years later, or never. so the point still stands.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
What I don't understand is why if there are so many superior alternatives, Windows continues to dominate. Although I suppose the same could be said for the Dvorak vs QWERTY debate, with the former being clearly superior yet the latter continuing to be the norm.

In the end I guess it's personal choice. MacOS/Linux/whatever doesn't offer me anything I can't get on Windows so why bother? Especially when I find Windows to be more in line with how I would like my OS to function.

HSC
Schroedinger said:
If you think ubuntu is more stable than OS X you seriously need to check your facts...
Let's hear your facts then. I'll say that more people use Ubuntu as a sever OS than OSX.

Schroedinger said:
But when it comes to app quality, nothing even remotely touches OS X.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Application quality is to do with the application - NOTHING to do with the operating system!!!

Schroedinger said:
All these apps I use constantly day to day are all gorgeous and so incredibly well designed and maintained.
That's great, I can name a whole heap of software I use, that's only for linux....except I have the intelligence to see that, that wouldn't really prove anything.

Excalibur_ said:
Fact of life: proprietary software has more ability to be higher quality than free/open-source software (I don't say it as a definite, as M$ has proven...)
http://www.australiacomedy.com/

Excalibur_ said:
Why? Big companies can have big resources.
Open source, has an army of millions of programmers, debuggers and developers around the world. Something which is <strong>unmatched by any amount of resources.</strong>

Excalibur_ said:
I'm yet to see an open-source game that kicks the butt out of proprietary games.
A game is something completely different to a typical application, and the same principles of development (open source vs propriety) cannot be applied to it. If you actually knew anything about what you are talking about, MAYBE you would understand.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Free Software (in the GNU sense) has more potential than proprietary software due to the nature of the open-source development model.

However, that doesn't mean that right now Linux pwns everything or anything like that. There are many areas where Free Software is deficient, confusing, difficult to use, while of course there are many others where it's best of breed and is commonly used, e.g. Apache.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Open source, has an army of millions of programmers, debuggers and developers around the world. Something which is <strong>unmatched by any amount of resources.</strong>
Yes, that is true. However, the nature of the FOSS development means that developer involvement is variable (and unpredictable). Key people can disappear, you know. You'd also have to consider the integration issues with physically distant developers. I'll refer you to the Shannon-Weaver model of communication, specifically the 'interference' and 'probability of error' areas.

I'm not saying that FOSS is outright inferior to proprietary software. I'm just saying that proprietary software has more potential (consistent and cohesive development) - the issue is that most companies don't really care for releasing quality software (blame the managers). This is probably why most OS software is, in reality, superior to their proprietary counterparts.

Starcraftmazter said:
A game is something completely different to a typical application, and the same principles of development (open source vs propriety) cannot be applied to it. If you actually knew anything about what you are talking about, MAYBE you would understand.
I merely cite an example.

They still all follow the basic concepts of the development life cycle, it is just the methods used in each step vary. You might also be working with different technologies (which is like working with different APIs, for example). But, at the end of the day, you are still releasing software - there is no difference there.

I don't see what you need to do in games development that cannot be replicated using the open source model.

I might add that I really do not appreciate your condescending tone, SCM.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
danielvh said:
Mac > PC is every way in my opinion except for price and games.

Much more stable/much less prone to infections, faster on the same hardware (compare similar spec computers running Vista and Leopard and the Leopard computer will blitz the Vista one), good support, slick interface, quality free/cheap apps, better features (eg time machine is so good it's ridiculous and iLife shits all over anything microsoft offers).

So imo, only go vista if you want to save your pennies or if you want to game (and even then, go XP).
Though, I did read an article in Atomic about using Parallels for Mac to play games. Apparently, the virtualisation is pretty good (you can play HL2 in it!)

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I usually only accept condescention from those who are actually correct, to be honest...
Not too sure whether you've directed that at me or SCM, but ok!

HSC
politik said:
The irony is that I can compile most of the software you use on Ubuntu on my Mac, since it's Unix-cored. Check. Mate.
Oh...key? Not sure why that is "check. mate.", since I don't really care.

politik said:
And should the analogy therefore be that the oranges and apples share the same innards?
...what?

Excalibur_ said:
Yes, that is true. However, the nature of the FOSS development means that developer involvement is variable (and unpredictable). Key people can disappear, you know.
Doesn't matter. Psotfx - whom was one of the lead phpbb3 developers retired from the project about mid-way through, and it's still here today, and by far the best forum software ever made.

Excalibur_ said:
You'd also have to consider the integration issues with physically distant developers. I'll refer you to the Shannon-Weaver model of communication, specifically the 'interference' and 'probability of error' areas.
Yes, software developers working on one piece of software living in different parts of the world was indeed a problem...maybe 20 years ago.

Excalibur_ said:
They still all follow the basic concepts of the development life cycle, it is just the methods used in each step vary. You might also be working with different technologies (which is like working with different APIs, for example). But, at the end of the day, you are still releasing software - there is no difference there.
Yeh there is. Games are different to application software, it's a pretty simple concept.

Schroedinger said:
I'd say more people would use UNIX servers than Linux servers, but that'd be mostly for high end computing and Beowulf clusters. There is nothing in the world as stable as freeBSD. Nothing. EDIT: Waits for Poloktim to come own him with some obscure HP/UX distro that makes concrete look unstable.
I have nothing against FreeBSD, but Linux is more usable, which is why most webhosts use it for example.
As for unix, I disagree. Even google uses linux, and I don't know of many companies whom have more servers than Google.

Schroedinger said:
No I'm not and you saying that proves that you miss the point completely.
Ones that are at a consistently higher level of quality and usability than those on other operating systems.
I do not agree that the quality of applications depends on any tools the OS developer releases.

Schroedinger said:
And I can run all that software seamlessly thanks to the mac ports project :) Hell, I spend most of my day in a Bash Shell.
Grab a medal then. I prefer to run the real versions, and not the ports though.

Schroedinger said:
Furthermore, Ubuntu isn't even as stable as down the line Debian because it has so many added patches. When you're talking about Stability in a mission critical environment, Debian is where it'd be if you weren't BSD'ing it.
Ehhh...critical environment? Ubuntu is marketed as a desktop operating system to replace winblows. Hardly a critical environment....

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Doesn't matter. Psotfx - whom was one of the lead phpbb3 developers retired from the project about mid-way through, and it's still here today, and by far the best forum software ever made.
One project out of how many failed FOSS projects out there?

Just because there is one success story doesn't mean it retroactively applies to ever other one. The majority of FOSS software doesn't even leave Alpha/Beta stages.

Starcraftmazter said:
Yes, software developers working on one piece of software living in different parts of the world was indeed a problem...maybe 20 years ago.
It still is.

People can't read minds. It becomes harder when there is no face to face contact. That means, unless the entire software design is very well documented, people are going to get different ideas regarding the direction of the project.

That's not to say it cannot be done well. It can, and indeed has, been dealt with effectively.

Starcraftmazter said:
Yeh there is. Games are different to application software, it's a pretty simple concept.
Indeed the nature of the software is different. That said, the software design/engineering practices are universal across all development. You're still going to need to sit down and work through the SDLC in rough. It is just the means you use to achieve those steps that vary between different forms of software. The central tenets remain the same.

Give me one process in the design/development phase of games development that you cannot replicate using the open source model.

Starcraftmazter said:
I do not agree that the quality of applications depends on any tools the OS developer releases.
Not my argument here, but I'd thought I'd add my two cents.

Bad documentation = Bad development

Fact of life.

Why do a lot of Windows applications suck? I hope you read my mind.

Starcraftmazter said:
Grab a medal then. I prefer to run the real versions, and not the ports though.
How is it less real when you compile it for a different (similarly POSIX-compatible) OS?

It's almost like if I'd compiled a similar application in another flavour of Linux on SPARC - is it any less real?

Starcraftmazter said:
Ehhh...critical environment? Ubuntu is marketed as a desktop operating system to replace winblows. Hardly a critical environment....
Contradicting yourself now, are we? You just mentioned that it was 'the favourite server OS'. Oh please...

danielbardouh

HSC
buy an XP COMPUTER create a partition uninstall vista coz its so GAY!!! and use XP which is so COOL and be done with it!!! i srsly recommend not buying a mac, its sooo hard and confusing to use!!!

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I have just bought a Mac.

And i have to say that this thing is ultra productive for some unexplainable reason.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
danielbardouh said:
buy an XP COMPUTER create a partition uninstall vista coz its so GAY!!! and use XP which is so COOL and be done with it!!! i srsly recommend not buying a mac, its sooo hard and confusing to use!!!
Ok, so you've stated your opinion.

Now, explain WHY?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)