Major Project help (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I'm thinking about doing the Australian 1975 constitutional crisis for my major project because there is a lot of debate about it. My main problem is I have to work around the syllabus thus meaning I can't focus on the dismissal itself but rather on another aspect of it. Now this is where it gets hard and I'm left unsure about what to do with it. I'm thinking of looking at the reserve powers of the Governor General but I don't know what aspect I would be looking at there.

So if people could put forward suggestions that would be very helpful. My teacher thinks the idea is good but would just require me to make sure it isn't covered in the yr 10 syllabus.

whitnall8

HSC
I don't know what's in the syllabus about it or whether this is appropriate but you could look at what those powers were intended for, and whether they were used as they were intended. Similarly, you could discuss whether Malcolm Fraser used his powers as they were intended.

I don't know much beyond what we learnt in year 10 history and that tv series but i hope that helped.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It isn't just the Year 10 syllabus that you have to watch but the Year 12 one as well:

The National Study under Australia has the following content:

From Whitlam to Fraser
– the Labor Party in power: social, political and economic policies
– the 1975 ‘dismissal’ of the Whitlam government; an historical assessment of the
Whitlam government
– nature and impact of social and economic change under Whitlam and Fraser

The School Certificate says the following:

Inquiry questions
• What role has Australia played in international affairs in the post-war period?
• What have been some important political developments in post-war Australian history?
• How have significant individuals and groups exercised their democratic rights in the postwar
period?

Under content it has:

The Dismissal teamed with Sir John Kerr

and of course

Any one Prime Minister (including Whitlam and Fraser) -

With both of these assessing their role and importance is also stated.

Looking at the different interpretations over time and from the different political standpoints would be possible but steer clear of just the events themselves.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Thanks for the help cem. I'm still trying to formulate my question, trying to relate back to the powers of the Governor General. But I could take on that suggestion, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)