'Make Poverty History' (3 Viewers)

JoeysBoy

HSC
Airness said:
Fuck diplomacy. Diplomacy is for balding assholes misrepresenting nations.

Firstly, you tell me what series of events persuaded you to think the world is on an exponentially downward curve with no hope of a turning point.

Personally, i think that yes the world is pretty shitty right now. But the majority of the world's population is still decent people and as live 8 demonstrated, is still willing to come out and help their fellow human beings. Just because there is strife in areas of the world, it doesn't mean you shouuld discount the rest of the world where in places such as say...Sydney, people are leading normal happy civilised lives.

Conflict is inherent in history. But the way we cope with it and not give up our daily way of life over it is sure evidence that the world isn't doomed into the shithold you envision.
You can't be serious! I like the huge hipocritcal vibe in this. You tell me Diplomacy is for "balding assholes misrepresenting nations" yet you are an optimist of world peace, which ultimatly depends on diplomacy. If no political diplomacy occurs, WTF else is there?

Did I ever say that there wern't good people in this world? NO! I think what you and I term Pesimism and Optimism are two VERY different things.

And maybe I myself am at fault. Maybe I should explain what I meant when I said there is no hope for humanity.

First of all, I believe Corruption in any political framework is inevitable. This will ALWAYS lead to division between poor and rich. Don't flame me.

Second of all, I believe that conflict in the world is inevitable. This leads too... placed in the context of evergrowing technology, ease of use and popularity of weapons, etc. Don't tell me this is BS. People who will willingly use these things will ALWAYS be around because of the conclict of views (such as the media generated Muslim vs west scenario... which I think is bullshit btw. and I personally have nothin against muslims), regardless of where they come from.

The end result of this? A nuclear war? It is a possiblity. And don't tell me it isn't, otherwise what respect I have for your posts will be gone. I accept your point of view and I don't want to rule the idea of a decent world out... its just that I find it hard to believe that, in reality, such a thing will never happen.

I could write a book on my views, about what ***I BELIEVE*** will keep the world in its present state, which would always hope to become better and better, but never quite reach its potential due to human nature (my third point... human nature...)

Sorry for the bad english/grammer/presentation of ideas.

JoeysBoy

HSC
And a catch 22... (from what I gather) is a situation that is either very hard to resolve or impossible to resolve due to conflicting factors. What is your definition of it Airness?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
JoeysBoy said:
Sorry for the bad english/grammer/ideas

That's okay :) When you write your book, make sure you use proper english, grammar and get some better ideas with better proof :)

The world is descent already. A few politicians, and religious conflict in one part of the world and the threat of terrorism can't overshadow the overall goodness of humanity in general. I think what you mean that utopia is impossible. That i agree with.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeysBoy

HSC
Airness said:
and get some better ideas with better proof :)
Isn't history the best proof? And do you mean refine my ideas? or are you telling me they are bullshit?

Just interested. Thankyou for recognising we have common ground btw :eek: Its a sign of an intelegent conversation :D

Alimoe_KG

HSC
JoeysBoy said:
Isn't history the best proof? And do you mean refine my ideas? or are you telling me they are bullshit?

Just interested. Thankyou for recognising we have common ground btw :eek: Its a sign of an intelegent conversation :D
History is the past. I think it's a bit silly to use the past to determine the future. OOOOOH!! I see now. You were thinking how since the dinosaurs got wiped out by say...meteors or aliens, humans will meet a similar fate :p I get you now! :D

Actually no not really :p

eeeerr i mean...refine your bullshit ideas :D Well, they're not bullshit. But i can't think of a better word so meh.

lol yes. common ground indeed. But then on the concept of utopia, it's a bit impossible to argue.
3 things that are 100% certain:
1) Utopia is impossible
2) Michael Jordan is the best.
3) NS will always be random.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
He essentially seems to be propounding a marxist understanding of history as being deterministic and hence predictable......

berry580

HSC
'make poverty history'
Whoever started that is an idiot.
How about "Make hypocracy history" first??

You f@ggot's governments are putting tarrif barriers for agricultral products so high that agricultral products from the undeveloped nations simply cannot compete with agricultral products from Europe and America, and that is NOT because the American & European farmers can produce agricultral products more cheaply, but simply because the Americans & Europeans have subsidies from their government.
So the Americans & European governments are effectively PAYING to keep the undeveloped nations IN POVERTY, especially when agricultural products are their major exports.

Should these barriers be removed to allow the undeveloped nations have access to their market and hence get out of poverty, those European & American farmers (aka LOSERS) needs to stop rallying when subsidies and tarrifs are removed and find something that they can produce and compete in the world market without government help, you bunch of LOSERS!!!.

JoeysBoy

HSC
Airness said:
History is the past. I think it's a bit silly to use the past to determine the future. OOOOOH!! I see now. You were thinking how since the dinosaurs got wiped out by say...meteors or aliens, humans will meet a similar fate :p I get you now! :D

Actually no not really :p

eeeerr i mean...refine your bullshit ideas :D Well, they're not bullshit. But i can't think of a better word so meh.

lol yes. common ground indeed. But then on the concept of utopia, it's a bit impossible to argue.
3 things that are 100% certain:
1) Utopia is impossible
2) Michael Jordan is the best.
3) NS will always be random.
So what your saying is history in relation to the modern world doesn't matter? I must have misunderstood something...

ButterflyFish

HSC
katie_tully said:
Meanwhile 30% of Australians live below the poverty line ... :eek:
yeah, which poverty line though? The gov will provide enuf money fro them to live. The poverty makepovertyhistory wants 2 get rid of is extreme poverty: No food, No housing, No education NO OPPURTUNITY!!!! In aus, there is way more oppurtunities to get out of poverty.

ButterflyFish

HSC
i hadnt finished reading all the posts & i was just so angry at sum ppls ignorance.

Not trying to be rude... but sum of u seem to be so uncompassionate. y should we have everything just cause of where we were born? and... i think everyone should actually go to www.makepovertyhistory.com.au and see what it is about b4 you critisise it! it clearly shows that we CAN make poverty history... we need to support it, get our governments to stick to their MDGs. it can be done, but that doesnt mean it will be. We are the youth so if our attitude is pessimistic, it wont happen. but go to the link, and at least sign the petition.

felixcthecat

HSC
but then there isn't much reason for the government to stick to the MDGs? spending an extra 0.5% of their annual GDP on poverty funding for example.. wouldn't give the local economy any benefit in the medium term or even long term future.... whereas the funds could be redirected to investment in other things which could boost their economy, which would let their government be re-elected the next time......

i can't imagine anyone voting for a government that has caused slower economic growth and aided some other nation(s) where poverty is prevailent since a majority of the local population (in richer country) would not be prepared to sacrifice their wealth for something they have no idea about... i'm sure there are those ppl who would luv to sacrifice.. but then the people seeking wealth still outnumber themmm (i'd imagine)

... just a random thought that popped up when u said "if the governments stick to the MDGs"...

ButterflyFish

HSC
i didnt actually (just watch live 8)

and its not over, you obvioulsy didnt go to that link i posted.

I just happen to be one of those ppl who are real passionate about it. but hey, i thought they didnt exist. Well i know u dont feel the same way but i hate the fact im sitting ehre while they r starving. we can get rid of extreme poverty, the campagn is still running, its nothign to sdo with celebrities, theres ppl like me who actually care regardless of who else does. if u dont beleive me, check out this site: www.stir.org.au . or google oaktree, world vision, oxfam, amnesty international, unicef, any of them. people who want to maek a difference in the world, however small.

Last edited:

ButterflyFish

HSC
Schroedinger said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH SIGN AN INTERNET PETITION TO SAVE THE WORLD.

Good one retard.

Do you understand anything at all about basic economics? Money lent to these countries will be written off, but there will be other caveats attached to it.

It won't work. Africa is behind because of their religious issues and the corruptions in the many governments, the money lent to these governments is spent on weapons and the like, not on the people.

Wiping the debt will do nothing.

You are a retard, look up on the situation before trying to comment on world events little girl. Stick to your General Pants, your studded belt and your kabbalah wrist-bands, but do not trifle with the big boys lest you choke on a half formed sentence that only illuminates and exemplifies your own staggering lack of knowledge.
do you understand anything about empathy? about justice? i think you should do the research, but i suppose you are a lost case, you obviously dont care about anyone but yourself. i hope it raised your self esteem by calling me a retard. Maybe you should read 'the end of poverty' by jeffrey sachs before you comment.

Im not going to argue that some aspects of religion and curruption have caused africa to lag. but there are many other factors too, and should the people suffer because of past events? should the people suffer because of exploitation? largely, the western countries have CAUSED the lack of oppurtunity to get out of poverty. do your own research and u will figure that out.

charity organisations do fantastic work in these places, like east timor for example. i would tell you about it but i wont waste my time, look it up yourself.

ButterflyFish

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Yeah. Save the little kids. Let them survive so they can fuck and produce another generation of starving little kids so they can fuck and produce another generation of little kids.

Just let them die. It'll even out in the end.
poverty causes overpopulation - its a cycle. break it and the birth rates will get lower. if children die, the mother will keep having babies. they do this because - otherwise there will be noone to look after them when they are dependant. no retiremnet pension... etc... and who will work to produce more food?

ButterflyFish

HSC
Schroedinger said:
No. We can't. The politics stems beyond the "YAY I CAN DO THIS" mantra that you seem to have developed. There are huge cultural and religious issues that have caused this level of poverty. It wasn't caused by 'teh wiet man'. No matter what debt is erased, the current governmental system in the majority of africa, the religious and cultural infighting and constant genocide and wars are what is causing the poverty and the famines.

The UN standing by and twiddling their thumbs whilst millions die citing they're 'non interventionist' isn't helping either.

Do you actually know anything about the current African Plight?

Read William Shawcross' - Deliver us from Evil: Warlords, Peacekeepers and a World of Endless Conflict

Read Joseph Stiglitz' - Globalisation and its discontents.

Read up on this, instead of just spouting the foolish rhetoric and realise the cultural issues have to be dealt with, or, essentially, africa needs to be left to die out from AIDS [Horribly, horribly evil, but the only economically justifiable view point at this time, as the cultural issues are so monstrously preventing any form of social achievement.]

Just because you and your mates at your local green left circle jerk think you can save the world, you can't. This issue is beyond you. It's complex and fucking idiots like the Live8 bastards think they can simplify it. They can't, it's really complex and then we have you, the product of all this joie de vivre, telling people who know far more about these situations that 'zomg we can du dis if we beleed!'

Your mother and father lied to you, you cannot do anything if you believe in yourself. For example, I cannot will a big titted blonde into existence to suck my knob dry, you can't will world peace.
i feel sorry for you

i really do.

even if you are right that poverty cant be eradicated, positive things still come from aid. i have seen them. hospitals, schools... things that empower the people. Obviously you have to be careful about where you put the aid, but if it is used appropriately, it can make a difference. If only to one person's life. It could have been your life but u are to self centered and pathetic to care.

Nietzsche

HSC
ButterflyFish said:
poverty causes overpopulation - its a cycle. break it and the birth rates will get lower. if children die, the mother will keep having babies. they do this because - otherwise there will be noone to look after them when they are dependant. no retiremnet pension... etc... and who will work to produce more food?
If you have read my work on slave morality, you will understand why giving blacks food is clearly wrong.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Poverty will not go away by the West's actions alone. Africa itself needs to fix up its fucked up corrupt governments who are spending all their aid on weapons, and writing off their debt so that they're even less accountable is most certainly not a good idea. The other issue that everyone focusses on is relative poverty rather than absolute poverty. The latter can be abolished through a good system of government, but if we try to correct the former we'll all fall into absolute poverty, but hey, at least we'll be equal. :)

Nietzsche

HSC
For instance, in Beyond Good and Evil I write: The Jews are beyond any doubt the strongest, toughest, and purest race now living in Europe; they know how to prevail even under the worst conditions. The blacks, however, are no more than a waste of genetic material, a horrendous smudge on the DNA of the human race. If one wanted lying, cheating, lazy and generally shitheads of people, one wouldn't go past the black race.

ButterflyFish

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Um... What? lack of education on sexual matters causes overpopulation, which can, quite possibly be the outcome of poverty. Nice Syllogism.

Do you actually understand what causes poverty? Please, enlighten me as to what causes poverty.

If you say the "White man's burden." at all in your prose, I will be forced to lacerate you repeatedly with an automatic blade.
i dont know why i am bothering, but here is a few links

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Poverty.asp

http://stir.org.au/stir/Content.aspx?topicID=69
why dont you type it into google and find out from other sites.

Basicly
culture & social discrimination
climate, environment and geography
local or regional history
national or global economic trends
war and natural disasters
education and government
individual or family decisions
agricultural practices and customs
unjust trade laws
foreign influence, control or actions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)