'Make Poverty History' (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
No but they'll all be working at KFC to be able to pay for it. Don't you see, it's perfect. Instead of sitting around, getting AIDS and being covered in flies, they'll be working in the industry.
will the chicken be fresh?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
What could be a decent start were if each country (or rather the rich or powerful countries) agreed to each donate a certain amount to Africa. And not necessarily money but actual food, etc. Given the great expanse of waste that occurs it would be feasible. Did anyone else see the stories about the orchards being ripped out because overseas produce was undercutting Australian produce. And are any of you aware that in some areas of agriculure there exists more than a years store of food so that current crops don't have a markey. Quite simply, there is overproduction for the market. But Africa is not part of the market because it has no money.

The biggest problem with all of this (besides getting the countries to agree) is how to compensate the actual farmers. Should it be the govenment of each country that does so, or should all the governments allocate say $500 million each and use that pool to repay farmers at the current price that the actual commodity is receiving on the international market.

Another problem would be corrupt governments funnelling or simply stealing resources that are supposed to go to their people. Giving food would be at least different from donating money because they can't use it sraight out to purchase weapons etc. Unfortunately these governments would have to be closely monitored to ensure that they are not trying to resell the produce back onto the market and reap in the profits.

Perhaps a joint venture by the nations military (but in a peaceful sense). Simply because the military is actually organised enough to distribute the food individually.

That however is a short term solution. What is needed are long term plans such as the establisment of schools and other educational facilities. Once the basics are established (along with medical facilities) then the next step would be to try and give these people the basic infrastructure and knowledge to farm their land on par with the rest of the world so as to become self supportive (eventually). Again, the governments of these countries would interfere.

Anotehr problem would obviously be the unwillingness of certain parties to give up their monopolies on certain markets.

All in all, any plans that are to implanted would have to be done so gradually. A change would not come overnight. For instance, the first teachers would not be solely African but as more are encouraged to study and become teachers then eventually the entire system could be run by Africans. The same stands for medical and other services. It would probably be a forthright inititave for universities around the world to offer free places for the first African students to study and return to their homes to begin the cycles.

The African refugees scattered throughout many Western countries should be offered the chance to undertake study and return to their homelands. However, they should not be forced.

The biggest problem would be to see if Africa could ever survive in the cut throat international free market. It has the potential to be a self sufficient nation but as soon as the free market invades local produce stands a good chance of being eradicated and profits leaving African shores. Further, Africans have the potential to be exploited.

And they are many more problems to be worked through. At the end though it must be remembered that just throwing money at them is not going to help and only render them dependent upon charity or else shortchanged by their oppressive governments.

There are other poor countries but I simply used Africa as an example because it was mentioned in the first post. As it stands the West, China and the richer Asian countries (I include Europe in the West) if united, has the abilility to end poverty, especially in countries willing to accept help like Africa. Poor countries in the middle east would be another matter.

ButterflyFish

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
What could be a decent start were if each country (or rather the rich or powerful countries) agreed to each donate a certain amount to Africa. And not necessarily money but actual food, etc.
That is basically what the MDGs (millinium developement goals) are: 8 goals which ask for more and better aid in each section, eg. education, healthcare, etc etc etc. you can find the goals and more information about them at www.makepovertyhistory.com.au . this campaign is asking the governments to stick to these goals. and the campaign is working... we still have a LONG way to go but the campaign has had small successes already in pursuading the governments to commit proportions of the GDP.

skittles76

HSC
ButterflyFish... FINALLY someone who isnt missing the whole point!

Guys, the petition IS still going, and you need to sign it. It's not about "starving kids who will grow up n make another generation of starving kids who will grow up..." because that's EXACTLY what we're trying to stop.

Corrupt governments is a huge issue, but that's not the only issue, what about the governments who arent corrupt? why cant we give them more aid? why cant we help them out? it just doesnt make sense.

ButterflyFish

HSC
you are still not getting the point. Please, just go to the link i posted about a million times. THE CAMPAIN IS NOT JUST ABOUT MORE AID, IT ASKS FOR 'MORE AND BETTER AID'. THERE ARE 8 GOALS TO ACHIEVE, EACH SETTING OUT HOW IT CAN BE ACHIEVED. THE MONEY DOES NOT GO STRAIGHT INTO THE GOVERNMENTS HANDS! IT HAS A SPECIFIC PURPOSE... well you arent going to beleive me anyway, but go there and read about the campaig before you critisise it!!!!! They are not just giving governments money.

skittles76

HSC
all of u guys need to get ur heads read! its atrocious that people who call themselves human could sit back and watch their race be ravished by diseases such as TB and AIDs, who could watch their race be completely drained by poverty, who could watch their race be totally screwed over by heartless, stupid people. oh wait, u r heartless, stupid people.

it pisses me off that u guys dont care. how could u not care?! its so selfish and totally inhumane. i was saying that countries without corrupt governments still deserve aid, and plenty of it. why should corrupt governments stop non-corrupt governments from getting what they deserve. and btw, were not asking for more aid to be given to ALL countries living majorly in poverty, but rather those who are willing to accept our help and commit themselves to reaching the set MDG's.

anyway, do what ButterflyFish says, and go to the website, read about it, get involved. or pm me, im willing to tell you everything i know. if u dont believe it can work then fine, be a coward, but no need to stop people who actually care about the world.

skittles76

HSC
felixcthecat said:
but then there isn't much reason for the government to stick to the MDGs? spending an extra 0.5% of their annual GDP on poverty funding for example.. wouldn't give the local economy any benefit in the medium term or even long term future.... whereas the funds could be redirected to investment in other things which could boost their economy, which would let their government be re-elected the next time......

i can't imagine anyone voting for a government that has caused slower economic growth and aided some other nation(s) where poverty is prevailent since a majority of the local population (in richer country) would not be prepared to sacrifice their wealth for something they have no idea about... i'm sure there are those ppl who would luv to sacrifice.. but then the people seeking wealth still outnumber themmm (i'd imagine)

... just a random thought that popped up when u said "if the governments stick to the MDGs"...

i know this was ages ago, but i just saw it, n i was wondering this myself a lil while ago. unlike some, i actually looked it up to find out, and i realised.... if the government isnt prepared to give 0.5% GNI to making poverty history, why did they sign on the doted line?! they signed a paper in 1985 saying they would give 0.7% in aid by 2005, yet theyre still at 0.28%. IF YOU DONT WANNA DO IT, FINE, BUT DONT SIGN TO SAY YOU WILL!!! i know its not like the government to do something that wont help its economy, but they shouldnt have signed to say they would!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
skittles76 said:
all of u guys need to get ur heads read! its atrocious that people who call themselves human could sit back and watch their race be ravished by diseases such as TB and AIDs, who could watch their race be completely drained by poverty, who could watch their race be totally screwed over by heartless, stupid people. oh wait, u r heartless, stupid people.

it pisses me off that u guys dont care. how could u not care?! its so selfish and totally inhumane. i was saying that countries without corrupt governments still deserve aid, and plenty of it. why should corrupt governments stop non-corrupt governments from getting what they deserve. and btw, were not asking for more aid to be given to ALL countries living majorly in poverty, but rather those who are willing to accept our help and commit themselves to reaching the set MDG's.

anyway, do what ButterflyFish says, and go to the website, read about it, get involved. or pm me, im willing to tell you everything i know. if u dont believe it can work then fine, be a coward, but no need to stop people who actually care about the world.
Its not my race, iam gonna sit back and do obsolutelty nothing. do you know why? Because you cant make a difference in those starving peoples lives infact your money is making their lives worse because it is going to the warlords who shit all over human rights, keep small armies and kill anyone they dont like - civilian or otherwise, basically you are funding a government that couldnt give a fuck about its own people. clap clap.

They can get out of their own mess, they started it. AIDS is a good start, its lowering the population in the same way that the population normally increases[funny eh?] now all we need is world wide AIDS so we can get this rediculous 6billion people down to a more managable number because hey, the Earth cannot support those numbers which means we are fucking up the environment just by living.

Africa needs to get their shit togther before we start sending aid, we really should cut off all aid going to them as it is. Some warlord in some african country jut bought another 50 BMW's with that G8 money to add to his allready large fleet of cars...wow your money sure is helping those starving kids!

just face reality, you cant help them until they get their shit sorted out

ButterflyFish

HSC
Serius said:
Its not my race, iam gonna sit back and do obsolutelty nothing. do you know why?
ok then. so your not human.
well it doesnt surprise me you seem to be lacking all compassion.

Serius said:
Because you cant make a difference in those starving peoples lives infact your money is making their lives worse because it is going to the warlords who shit all over human rights, keep small armies and kill anyone they dont like - civilian or otherwise, basically you are funding a government that couldnt give a fuck about its own people. clap clap.
So where do you get your information from? just interested...
Like ive said countless times, if the aid given correctly, the way it is set out in the MDGs, it doesnt go to the governments.

Serius said:
They can get out of their own mess, they started it.
So those people living in poverty... its their fault? caus of where they are born?

Yes some governments in the past were corrupt and got themselvses into a lot of debt. but our governments let them do it. They raised the interest rates and ensured that it wouldnt be payed back. and now the people are suffering. I also wonder about where you get your information. there are countless countries with extreme poverty, many of them in poverty because of the actions of the west. Would you have this attitude if by chance you were born into poverty?

Serius said:
AIDS is a good start, its lowering the population in the same way that the population normally increases[funny eh?] now all we need is world wide AIDS so we can get this rediculous 6billion people down to a more managable number because hey, the Earth cannot support those numbers which means we are fucking up the environment just by living.
Well if we are going to start killing people, why not start with you?

Poverty causes overpopulation, which i have already explained. The first step in lowering the populatoin is ending poverty. This will regulate the amount of children born. Developed countries are rarely increasing population

Serius said:
Africa needs to get their shit togther before we start sending aid, we really should cut off all aid going to them as it is. Some warlord in some african country jut bought another 50 BMW's with that G8 money to add to his allready large fleet of cars...wow your money sure is helping those starving kids!
yep ok then once again can i have the link that supports that arguement? was it really the live 8 money? well... that makes heaps of sense seeing as live 8 was about advocacy.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)