Making up case studies (1 Viewer)

spoonbender

HSC
Are we allowed to make up case studies? In last year's exam it said on the question "Using a case study, real or imaginary" or something like that. Am I still allowed to make up a case study even if the question does not say anything about it? If I use an existing business, can I make up information and stats about it? My teacher said that we can make it up because the case study is meant to show that you know the theory, but I just wanted to double check.

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Probably best to know a real case study, in case their is a loophole in your case study.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
If you are really desperate, I reckon it's possible.

However, you have to make it pretty damn reliable...

JosephW

HSC
Ive been making mine up all last year. Just missed out on first place at school and was still able to achieve a Band 6 pretty comfortably. Just use a business name belonging to a relative or something. I used my dad's car business and what ever the questioned asked, I related the business somehow to it.

Making up a case study allows more time to study the syllabus and not worrying about getting wrong information if you use a well know case study like Qantas or Oroton. Hope I helped.

macca1819

HSC
It's best to use a real case study. Some good examples are Qantas and Dominoes. But not every dot point of the syllabus is going to be fully addressed in one specific case study, so a good idea would be to get a variety of case studies so you have suffcient notes for each dot point.

In hindsight I would have done that, instead of skimming over like one page of the Qantas case study.

At the end of the day, the case study makes up all of 4-5 marks of the overall trial and external exams. You only have to use it in 1 essay. So don't stress too much over it.

Tutoring C'Town

HSC
If its one thing that students need to know when a marker is reading for an essay its:
They have been doing it for years, they know when you are making things up!

Refrain from 'making' any Case Studies up, if you put a case study into your study regime you will have no problem remembering it.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
With Business Studies, it's pretty much common sense that you can make things up as you go along and still sound correct. What I do is, I use a real business, try and remember what I can and if I can't, I'll just make up shit for that part. It's not that hard.

Just don't do a business like Qantas, because it's so frequently used - therefore it'll be easier to find out.

Also to the OP, since he goes to my school, the question let us use a hypothetical business because they didn't teach or tell us to learn a case study in the preliminary year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)