Malaysia and Singapore... who's been? (1 Viewer)

xxFiveWords

HSC
seremify007 said:
*is hungry* I can't wait to go back and eat.. if there's one thing I like- it's CHEAP, GOOD QUALITY FOOD... made even better by the 24/7 atmosphere.

Oh and to the topic creator- when u get there- BUY TISSUES IMMEDIATELY. Most supermarkets (in Singapore there's "Cold Storage"- pretty much identical to Woolies in design, colour scheme, layout.. I think they are same company) stock them.. and wherever you go make sure you bring at least 2 or 3 packets (you'll see what I mean when you buy them)- you need them when you eat, when you go toilet, or just because you touched something dirty... very few places give out tissues.
thanks for the heads up.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For some reason- I'll feel satisfied if I know someone out there also had an enjoyable experience to Singapore... it's a country which I really enjoy visiting for some unknown reason >_>

arooshika...

HSC
xxFiveWords said:
So, anyone been to Malaysia and Singapore?
  • what's the main language/s?
  • what's there to do?
  • what's the night life like?
  • are they clean?
  • what's the shopping like?

thx
xxFiveWords
i lived in malaysia for a year and singapore for 6yrs

anyways in singapore they can speak english, other than that chinese, tamil and malaysian
the bird park and there is a night zoo, i forgot whats that called though
night life is great, many stuff to do on orchard road where it is all shopping and really really cheap stuff to also go to port quay because many expats go there like the auzzies, british, american and europeans have a night life there especially the young ones cause there are many international schools there, including an australian one
some parts of it are clean and some parts dirty
as said before, shopping is what singapore is made for

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know this sounds stupid- but don't take drugs into Singapore.

In case you didn't see the news- an Australian is getting death now. There's zero tolerance there and it should also be noted that Singapore has highest death penalty rate in the world.

xxFiveWords

HSC
and here i was planning to take mary j.
some people r such idiots.

the pix look awesome... =)

laurel18

Keep smiling Ü
HSC
xxFiveWords said:
  • what's there to do?
  • are they clean?

thx
xxFiveWords
I've stayed in Malaysia for ten years so you could say that I know most of it on the back of my hand.

Main languages
:

1. Bahasa Melayu aka Malay (it's quite similar to Indonesian)
2. Chinese - Mandarin or Cantonese (very common at hawker places)
3. English (yes, most people speak english which is good - especially at shopping centres)

What's there to do?

1. Karaoke - haha you have to go to one of them. There's a red box or something like that in KL. Theres quite a number in Ipoh as well.

2. Shop! They open till late as well unlike here that only opens late for one day :(

a) Midvalley Megamall - you can spend like a whole day there just shopping because it's so huge. I love that place :)

b) There's also a reasonably new shopping centre called Times Square in the city. It's quite big as well but the last time I were not many shops open.

c) Sungei Wang/BB Plaza - I usually shop around here when I'm over. They have a big department store (Metrojaya) ~ priced quite reasonable.

d) KLCC - My favourite place to shop. It's the Petronas Twin towers but just the shopping bit of it. I think you can go up high to the bridge bit of the towers but I haven't been there before. They have a great park outside if you want to relax. Theres nice fountains. Great scenery. Must take photos here!

3. EAT! OMG you have to try these food:
  • Nasi Lemak
  • Satay -must-must-must!!
  • Hokkien noodles
  • Mee Goreng
  • Char Kway Teow
  • Roti Canai + Teh tarik was only RM 1.60 at this indian place which is really cheap.
  • Any kind of curry :p
  • Siong tong yin choy (my favourite veggie dish in a soup) You can't get it here. But it's awesome. It's like spinach but nicer :)
  • Etc.
But you have to go to Madam Kwan in KLCC, theres this noodle place on Jalan Alor. I can't remember the name but it's sort of served on this claypot bowl. Must try the durians. (D24) hehe yum yum...Also eat at Little Penang at Midvalley Megamall...The food is just so authentic in Malaysia and reasonably cheap. I must insist...Try the KFC there, you'll notice the difference to Aussie KFC. They put more spices in (not just salt) so it tastes much better.

4. Tourist attraction places:
  • Petaling street - but do be careful! Lots of bag snatchers (so don't bring bag when going there). You can get heaps of bargains. But only bargain if you want to buy that item...otherwise the shop people get angry.
  • Batu Caves...Theres lots of stairs to climb...A heap of monkeys around. The view is great though
  • KL tower - This is also quite a tall building. You can go up and see the city view through huge binoculars thingies. It's a nice experience unless you're afraid of heights.
  • Petronas Twin Towers. They have the great shopping centre there so it's a must see.
  • In Subang...theres the Sunway Pyramid (it has an ice skating ring if you're interested). But you must go to Sunway Lagoon - Wet + Dry theme park.
  • Mines Resort City. - Theres lots of boat rides and stuff...and shops, a theme park, ice skating ring. Lots of things there.
  • Port Dickson. Awesome beaches here. I've been there quite a few times and it's nice to get away from the polluted city. It's about an hours drive from KL.
  • Langkawi
  • Melacca - good food and theres a nice water park there too.

Nightlife?
I really don't know...just be careful with bags and stuff...lots of bag snatchers at night

Clean?
No not clean at all. This is the only bad thing about Malaysia. You want clean, you just can't go outside. You'll have to stay indoors all the time or shopping centres. Singapore is very clean.

Shopping?
It is great. Batik stuff are great. Shops that you have to see are above :)

Taxis?
Yes, the taxi people are very well known to cheat and charge extra to foreigners. Thats why only get in the taxi if the guy uses a 'meter'. Once it was just a 10 minute walk, i decided to get a taxi because of so much shopping stuff I had. The taxi man wanted to charge me RM20 eventhough I am asian. I was no and slammed the taxi door...you take it by meter it's like RM 3.60 or maybe a bit more...but what they charge is more than triple! Their target areas especially are at KLCC. So watch out for them.

Anyway, the positives outweigh the negatives. So Malaysia is great. So have fun, if you decide to visit malaysia :):)

I recommend you look at this website as I'm not too familiar with Sabah or Malacca or Langkawi, etc. : http://www.malaysiasite.nl/kleng.htm

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hahaha.. yummminess. If you've ever eaten the indomee (instant noodles) Mi Goreng- now you can try the REAL DISH it was inspired by~

laurel18

Keep smiling Ü
HSC
seremify007 said:
Hahaha.. yummminess. If you've ever eaten the indomee (instant noodles) Mi Goreng- now you can try the REAL DISH it was inspired by~
Yes i love the dry one :p

Kaiser Zero

Banned
HSC
been to both, but just for competition didn't really see the places AT ALL.

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
I was in singapore and malaysia for about a month ago. when i went to malaysia it was just a daytrip up to melaca, but the differences between the two countries are amazing. as soon as you cross the border you notice it.

Because i had spent 3 months backpacking around europe and didn't want to leave there, i wasn't really intersted in singa when i was there, but of course now i wish i had appreciated it more. i was with my parents there, but i think it would be the best place to go with a group of friends. actually, it is one of those places which has something for everyone, so with family it was ok.

Must-see things:
>sentosa island (although you pay constanty for everything), i recommend the butterfly garden especially.
>raffles for a singapore sling. expensive (compared to everywhere else) but a tourist must do.
>orchard road shops. you will never go home empty handed.
>little india. yummy food, clothes, a pretty temple and a little old man who will read your palm and tell you to avoid lakes and rivers.
>chinatown. i went there at night for dinner and a look at the night markets.
>arab street is supposed to be good too
>get some clothes custom made for cheap
>eat from street stalls
>changi war memorial
>stock up on cds (very very cheap, equal to $15AUD in some places)
heaps of other stuff that i never got time for!

most shops in the main orchard rd area are open 10am - 10pm every day.

hope that has enlightened you somewhat.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
im from singapore- the official language now is either malay or english- not chinese (i dunno why people keep asking me if i speak chinese!) i have a chinese friend who speaks chinese/malay and english- so thats cool

same thing in MAlaysia- although the chinese people there usually speak fluent malay (in addition to chinese if they speak it- some chinese people just speak malay and english)

with food- Oh look, u cant start a convo about food and not go on for yonks! In singapore u can even eat scorpions and stuff like that - in addition to what was said earlier...

but the hidden part of singapore is the nature reserves- apparently they're quite good- some of the best in the world - but i cant remember going to any

i remember the waterfalls of malaysia which i went to when i was young- MAlaysia is good for shopping all the general stuff- whereas in singapore- u tend to go techno

if u want a laptop or palm or digital camera or watever, hook up with a singaporean on ebay or something and make a deal to finalise when ur there... or find a shop= coz its always cheaper than it is here.

when it comes to malaysia's nature reserves= ur gonna have to be specific about where ur gonna be if im to tell u what u can do- theres heaps of stuff- esp all the cultural stuff from the colonial times

have fun

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Nature reserves?... Singapore has a really cool zoo which I think if you fly SIA you get discounts/free entry or something like that? *shrugs* I know there's definitely a free shuttle bus for SIA ppl... I've also seen nature reserves on TV (from SG) but never actually visited.

The thing which fascinates me most is that Clean-Toilet patrol or something where they review toilets (also saw on TV in aus)... there's on toilet in Singapore where when guys urinate, the urinal is hidden behind a wall.. but behind it is like a gate (like with metal bars, but u can see in/out) so u can pee and look outside... There's also some place with "themed" bathrooms (public toilets they are) and they look super funky... it almost looks like a crime to take a dump!

Skeeta

HSC
I've been! i went on a shopping trip there with my mum.. it was the best hol i've ever been on

MUST go to
clarke quay for dinner (its changed bigtime)
chinatown markets
little india
shopping in orchard road

and you've gotta go on the trains while you are there

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh.. bring fly repellant. Forgot to tell you that. And if you can bear the heat, head out a bit.. otherwise if you want to play it safe, stay within a 3-4 station radius of City Hall.

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
xxFiveWords said:
  • what's there to do?
  • are they clean?

1. english
mandarine
indonisian

2. shopping and looking around the wet markets, chinese markerts

3. quite not much to do expect the night marakets here u get to barter

4. Yes they are extremly

5. lots of fun especially the bartinering

samuelblayden

Newcstle Knights 2006
HSC
beccabum said:
I was in singapore and malaysia for about a month ago. when i went to malaysia it was just a daytrip up to melaca, but the differences between the two countries are amazing. as soon as you cross the border you notice it.

Because i had spent 3 months backpacking around europe and didn't want to leave there, i wasn't really intersted in singa when i was there, but of course now i wish i had appreciated it more. i was with my parents there, but i think it would be the best place to go with a group of friends. actually, it is one of those places which has something for everyone, so with family it was ok.

Must-see things:
>sentosa island (although you pay constanty for everything), i recommend the butterfly garden especially.
>raffles for a singapore sling. expensive (compared to everywhere else) but a tourist must do.
>orchard road shops. you will never go home empty handed.
>little india. yummy food, clothes, a pretty temple and a little old man who will read your palm and tell you to avoid lakes and rivers.
>chinatown. i went there at night for dinner and a look at the night markets.
>arab street is supposed to be good too
>get some clothes custom made for cheap
>eat from street stalls
>changi war memorial
>stock up on cds (very very cheap, equal to $15AUD in some places)
heaps of other stuff that i never got time for!

most shops in the main orchard rd area are open 10am - 10pm every day.

hope that has enlightened you somewhat.

yes I agree also go to the wet markets

fatmuscle

HSC
wow. there are that many ppl on the forums who have been to Malaysia?

*impressed*

Don't forget to go to One Utama Shops!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I just came back and man.. One Utama is HUGE. I like it 10x more than pyramid and midvalley... but is it just me or are shopping centres there so big- that it makes things like westfield parra look like a country shopping arcade?...

I also like their "Jusco" and "Giant"... it's like.. a shopping complex which is built around something equivilent to our Big W and Coles combined into something the size of two or three Officeworks, with a bunch of stores (like maccas, banks, starbucks, newsagents, cinemas, etc..) surrounding them.

fatmuscle

HSC
yes! how big is One Utama!
my gf killed me for not taking her there. I took her to Pyramid, MidValley and KLCC though.

don't you just love their supermarkets there? u forgot Carrefour!

touristy places the islands of Penang and Langkawi are pretty cool.
dunno if Malaysian airlines are still having their Free malaysian destination flight anymore though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)