Male and female attitude to HSC Economics different? (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
I have noticed that out of the people I know who do economics, most males seem to neglect studying/revising for the subject and focus instead on other subjects because they argue that economics is common sense. On the other hand, I see all the girls doing economics stressing daily about it and focusing solely on revising economics. Has anybody else noticed this very interesting observation?

gemrism

HSC
No i am not butch...
i have long hair, a wardrobe full of pretty clothes, I wear make up and i hate sport :D...so if you judge me by setreotypes then i can't be butch! :D

pete_mate

HSC
economics has lots of logic, similar to maths.

all i can say is we all know maths is more of a guy thing..

zedzed

HSC
what a gross generalisation. i'm female and i'd like to think i have a pretty perceptive understanding of economics whereas i know heaps of guys who study for hours from their eco textbook but still suck at it lol

pete_mate

HSC
that there are like 2 girls in my friends advanced maths course at usyd..

was more of a general statement, of course there are plenty of females better than males at economics, but females tend to like the "economics and social sciences" type-economics, rather than macroeconomics, on the whole.

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I'm a male. I'm hope I'm ok with economics because I only study 30 minutes a day. I must've over-studied over the past year.

aileenli

HSC
i hate economics, its stupid concepts makes my head spin. i don't get why humans should make the world more complicated with all this hooha about money.

Damn now i feel like i fit in that stupid stereotype...

klaw

HSC
aileenli said:
i hate economics, its stupid concepts makes my head spin. i don't get why humans should make the world more complicated with all this hooha about money.

I wasn't suggesting in any way that females were of inferior intellect. The males I know may be wrongfully neglecting the subject and missing out on minor details whereas the girls may be covering everything with more depth and accuracy. This thread is about the different ATTITUDES I observed, not who was the superior economist. If I thought that males were better at economics then I'd ask for something like different marks, not attitudes :).

It's undeniable that there are many topics where females and males have different attitudes on in general, and this just may be one of them.

Last edited:

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
I go to an all girls school. The way we approach economics is the same as every other subject - that is, do whatever we feel comfortable and to our ability. We have girls who never study and suck. We have girls who never study and topping the subject. We have girls who write like five extended responses a day. So really, I think it's nothing to do with gender.

But I think a lot more guys do economics.

From 2002 Board Archive:

2165 - female

3239 - male

5404 - total

But yeah, no difference in ways study or attiude really.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
There are later statistics. check the 2005 ones. I thought that Humanities and social sciences are more geared towards girls. 40% of 5500 students who did Economics are girls in 2005.

How the f. do you not study and top a subject?
(sorry about my bad attitude at this time)

Last edited:

maskd

HSC
My old Economics class followed this trend, about a quater of the class were girls, and they all studied their absolute asses off, the guy sat back and did nothing pretty much. We were about even on scores, the girls were beating us just by a smidge, but that's due to difference in effort.

I'm so glad I dropped Economics, I understood everything to do with the course, but it was soooooo boring.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Sparcod said:
How the f. do you not study and top a subject?
When I said 'study' I meant the EXTRA work that you do outside of school. The people who don't 'study' and top Economics are the ones that really listened in class, do the homework, and leave it at that. No extra kind of revision. And how do they do it? Far out, I don't even know. I guess you can say they're the naturally talented people. What goes in the ear don't come out the other side and just stay in their big brains.

Actually I should cut the plural. I can think of only one person who can do that. And she's the envy of most girls at school.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
How can you not study and yet top it?
By the way, how hard do you study for economics, Nickyroony?

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Sparcod said:
By the way, how hard do you study for economics, Nickyroony?
To be honest, not very hard. I write a few extended responses every once in a while, and do short answers sometimes.. but it's nothing compare to what I do for other subjects. I would say I've done a total out about 3 or 4 hours of eco since graduation.. and that was nearly 3 weeks ago. I do 4 hours of maths A DAY. So as you can see... yeah.. not very hard at all =_=

Gator

HSC
I am a male and i totally suck at economics

i just dont get the point of it.

I study, but i will be very lucky to pass this exam.

pete_mate

HSC
Gator said:
I am a male and i totally suck at economics

i just dont get the point of it.

I study, but i will be very lucky to pass this exam.
that's because its your hardest subject, by a long mile.

aileenli said:

yeah, we should go back to bartering things, let alone interest rates, credit, international trade, bonds, hedging, and private equity.

you're just happy as long as you can spend money on another dress or whatever with no concept of how the world works. naive like a little kid.

[decided to remove insulting conclusion]

Last edited:
HSC
yeah i agree.. mlaw? i think .. the person who started this .. thread, !!..

yeah .. like guys i know dont study (ie.. chunnnnyy =P) like does well.. :)

3li

HSC
N/A
i cbf to read the above, but i think eco is interesting but very simplistic, i say this because i dont really study for it but rather i make up shit, and it seems to be working... i got 93% in CSSA and 5/50something at nsb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)