Malouf/Wordsworth affect of their contexts! (1 Viewer)

study budd[Y]

Reformist Nerd
HSC
Hi!
It had been brought to my attention that there needs to be substantiated discussion as to how the contexts of both wordsworth and malouf affected the; values presented in their texts, and, they way in which these values are presented....

Would someone PLEASE be able to put up some hardcore examples of this?? You know, can like yous give me solid examples of when we clearly see malouf's/wordsworth's CONTEXT affecting their writing...

I would appreciate reply's that r ready to use...(i.e. put striaght into my essays)

tempco

HSC
It's basically the way they commune with nature.. in the case of Wordsworth, he's a "gentleman" from the 19th century. It wouldn't fit if he was roaming around in the wild, camping and experiencing nature physically. Instead, his communion is through 'elevated thought'. I'm quite confused with Ovid's case myself.. is him being fully immersed in nature because of Malouf's context, as bush walking and exploration is acceptable in our time?

Ozz^E

Studybuddy: There's a excel book on wordsworth and malouf that deals with context pretty well. Umm..i have an essay or two, written using the info in that book. It could email them to if you want (if i can find them).

:)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
The spirituality/religion differs for WW and Malouf.
Wordsworth lived in the romantic era where christianity was prominent so there are many references to religion. Read "It is a beauteous evening calm and free" for an idea. WW believes that this religion is a major factor that links him with the landscape.
Malouf's context is a primitive pre-christian outpost of the roman world. Therefore spirituality is perceived as frightening or a force to be reckoned with. Remember the wild boy when he was sick? The village people of Tomis thought evil spirits had consumed him.
Well there is an example of how context's has affected Maloufs and WW writing... I think anyway

braindead

HSC
well my guess, is that ovid lived during the pr-christian era, where morality was not clearly defined, god was non existent...etc
thus there is no mention of God throughout, he had a physical and psychological communion with nature, unlike wordsworth who lived in the romantic era, (free expression) ideas of interconnectedness b/t god, man and nature were prevalent, thus he had a philosophical, external r/s with nature and does not get lost in it.

arn_e

HSC
Originally posted by braindead
well my guess, is that ovid lived during the pr-christian era, where morality was not clearly defined, god was non existent...etc

a small correction.. its about the WRITERS context... i refer to Wordsworth to be part of the "Romantic" movement, Malouf is therefore in our contemporay context....

tempco

HSC
Can't you examine the text through both contexts? Yes, Malouf is in our contemporary context, but there has to be some influence from the ancient Roman context, since it is the setting of the text.. so I don't think the pre-Christian context should be totally ignored.

braindead

HSC
ok, fine then, do u mean that malouf was writing in accordance to the struggle of new Australians leaving the wealthy and comfortable life of Europe to face the harsh conditions in Aust bush, similarly Ovid leaving Rome for Tomis?

tempco

HSC
Yep, and you can take into account that during the life of Ovid, Rome was the peak of civilisation in almost everything: arts, sciences, war. So Ovid being isolated from Rome, and effectively Latin, would be appropriate because of the Roman context, as well as him being a poet.

catchafire

I saw maloufs context like "braindead"

the way in which Malouf left the cultivated, beauty of the mediterranean to come to the harsh landscape of Australia is reflected in Ovid leaving Rome for Tomis.

tempco

HSC
I guess you can incorporate both contexts when discussing Ovid, since both of them are valid :D

dancing_mermaid

HSC
i'm only studying malouf, not wordsworth, but he was writing in the 70s, when land rights and people's spiritual connection with the land were contentious issues. and he had a really mixed cultural heritage, as well as being a first generation austrlian, so he was always very interested in the idea of what made a person australian, or of any other culture. His dad spoke lebanese around the house, and malouf didnt speak lebanese, but he still understood the ideas that were being talked about, through tone and body language which is an idea explored in an imaginary life... i can't remember much else, i wrote my context essays ages ago... sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)