Malpractice in half yearlies (1 Viewer)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
If someone were to be caught for malpractice in a half yearly exam worth 25%, will this affect their prior and upcoming assessments, will they be treated any differently in the externals, how would this affect their overall mark (adv eng) assuming they are a b6 student and will this stay on their record permanently?
lots of questions lol, if anyone can respond, ty.

buriza

conviction
HSC
It depends on the measures that are taken. As per the Board of Studies site, one or more of the following can apply:

— reduced marks for all or part of the examination
— zero marks for part or all of the examination
— an interview with a ‘malpractice’ panel at the Board of Studies
— loss of one or more courses towards the HSC award
— damage to the student’s ability to apply for entry to TAFE or university courses or scholarships.

For example, in the situation you mention, a half-yearly is of reasonable weight. If a student were to receive 0 in an Advanced English half-yearly, it could potentially impact their overall result to a great degree. Not to mention that it is very likely or certain, if you do only 2 units of English, that this overall result will contribute to your ATAR. Therefore, 0 in an Advanced English half-yearly can ultimately affect your ATAR as well.

In simpler words, malpractice is not something you should really be considering the consequences of, since consequences are only relevant if you are thinking about conducting malpractice in itself.

Last edited:

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I'm not considering it LOL, there was a case in my grade.
IF they did 4 unit english, since BOS takes the 2 best units of english, is it possible that the 0 mark won't affect their atar as much?

buriza

conviction
HSC
I'm not considering it LOL, there was a case in my grade.
IF they did 4 unit english, since BOS takes the 2 best units of english, is it possible that the 0 mark won't affect their atar as much?
Possibly, but I can't be sure. I don't know the technicalities of it all, especially since one of the potential consequences is "loss of one or more courses towards the HSC award." As Advanced English is required in order for English Extension 1 or 2 to be done, potentially a loss of Advanced English as a course might make any further English units redundant. I may be completely wrong though, just tossing up possibilities. :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I know 3 people who "malpracticed" in the history trial exams at out school and nothing like the above happened. They all (topish students btw) took notes and one took a iphone into the exam room and was Googling stuff in the bathroom (don't know how they found this out) and their punishment was sit another exam but they're final result was halved. One still ended up with a band 5 and I don't know about the other 2. Really, if its ans internal assessment, the school can be hush hush about it

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It would depend on the relevant policies, you should ask your teacher or relevant school personnel for the most accurate information:)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The director of Studies at school told us that malpractice is recorded as our student number starting from this year :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)