mandating poems in english (1 Viewer)

annaaa123

HSC
what do you guys reckon, will they mandate certain poems? i do kenneth slessor for module b, and they haven't mandated one since 2003 - could equally mean that they'll spring it on us this year, or that it's highly unlikely. it's just such a trek to study all the poems when they probably won't mandate one!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's almost guaranteed that they won't
I wouldn't go so far as to say this. What I would say is it's highly unlikely but I would never rule anything out. They may ask you to write a speech to HSC students, or a letter to the editor - or they may ask you to write anewspaper article, using one particular text.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't go so far as to say this. What I would say is it's highly unlikely but I would never rule anything out. They may ask you to write a speech to HSC students, or a letter to the editor - or they may ask you to write anewspaper article, using one particular text.
Yeah, definitely be prepared for a different text type. It's quite possible.

Specific poem just feels cruel to me, so I like to think it's mostly been eliminated.

annaaa123

HSC
in my trial they mandated a poem, which was a bit rough as it wasn't one of the main ones that people usually write about. it's kind of given that you should prepare for different text types but i think i'll study mainly for a couple of poems and cross my fingers that they don't mandate!

enoilgam

HSC
I reakon this year, the BOS is going to throw a really crazy short story or essay question out there to throw off all those with memorised essays (much like SOR 2009). They said they were going to crack down on memorised stuff for last years HSC, but then they asked the most generic questions for paper 1. So I think mandated poems are a possibility

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I reakon this year, the BOS is going to throw a really crazy short story or essay question out there to throw off all those with memorised essays (much like SOR 2009). They said they were going to crack down on memorised stuff for last years HSC, but then they asked the most generic questions for paper 1. So I think mandated poems are a possibility
They say that every year. :p

anne1010

HSC
they did it in standard last year for module b - wilfred owen.
although that poem was one most people would talk about anyways and they did give you a few lines from the poem.
but our teacher has told us to prepare cause they can very well mandate a particular text in any module where more then one was used

enoilgam

HSC
They say that every year. :p
Eventually, they will do something I reakon. Im not suggesting people change their whole game plans for english, but just be wary, they could chose this year to strike.

jackl25

HSC
aarrghh...not good if it is. I have Gwen Harwood, and Geoffrey Robertson's The Justice Game; so I could get mandated chapters/poems for two modules...

annaaa123

HSC
they definitely wouldn't mandate for two different modules in the same year - they'd pick one to make difficult. and yep they never do in paper 1, which makes me wish i had poems for belonging!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)