• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Marie Antoinette: Kirsten Dunst (1 Viewer)

grue

HSC
I didn't liked the movie, but I admit that I enjoyed the visual and how they used modern/punk music instead of classical all the way (which is the usual choice for historical films). It also introduced me to new bands. :D

jazzmuzik

HSC
I just went and saw it...
I found it dragged a lot at the begginning (probably cause i had seen the trailers and was waiting for the "frivolous" story to hurry up..) It did pick up however but overall it seemed to move too slow.
Visually it was fantastic. The Costumes, Sets, use of colour, extravagance, settings were perfectly over the top glamour.
I liked kirstan Dunst in the role. She is kind of typical American "teen" face and i think she had the right balance of "immaturity" "sweetness" and "slight rebellion".
To be honest, I actully liked the american accents used by Kirstan Dunst and how those around her spoke more "proper" (still with an accent). It gave the different characters comparitive levels of "brashness" reflecting her (marie's) ignorant, youthful personality. It also played along with the punk, modernised reworking. The music was well chosen too.

Overall I felt the story itself dragged a bit. But a lot of good choices had been made. It was worth it for all the visuals!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
grue said:
I didn't liked the movie, but I admit that I enjoyed the visual and how they used modern/punk music instead of classical all the way (which is the usual choice for historical films). It also introduced me to new bands. :D
Yeah, I've got to agree. Although I actually really liked the movie, the best part was definitely the soundtrack.

HSC
I liked it a lot and one of the reasons is that this movie made me understand a lot more about Coppolla's previous two films which I did not enjoy much.

HSC
N/A
Mixed feelings.

I did end up empathising a lot with Marie Antoinette as a young girl pushed into hardcore, bitchy french society (something reading doesn't convey quite as well). You can just FEEL the compulsion to shop whenever she gets shut off from her husband, etc etc.

At the same time I was greatly disappointed at some of the historical inaccuracies, particularly at the end where the movie implies that they may very well have gotten away, except we know they definately didn't. Hrm.

*Lozzie*

HSC
FireFlower said:
Was anyone else disapointed about the lack of beheading? I absolutely can't stand Kirsten Dunst, but I thought that as she was playing Marie Anionette, I'd at least get to see the vapid twit have her head lopped of.
yeah i thought the lack of that kinda sucked lol i was waiting for it and it didnt come

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Oh yeah, the ending was a complete cop-out. The only part of the film I wasn't satisfied with. It's like, they tried to give the audience some sense of false hope...I don't know, it was weird.

Rinni

HSC
I loved it!!!!!! Was exactly what I expected so I wasn't disappointed. Although I think it would have been better if it had of ended with the balcony scene but meh still thought it was awesome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)