marks and tutor (1 Viewer)

bettina44

HSC
i'm kinda thinking about tutoring prelim 2 and 3u maths and not too sure if i would be up for it grades and mark wise. i know you also need to have good communcation skills and all but you obviously need to know your stuff right? what would you guys think would be a decent hsc and prelim yearly mark to teach?

K

khorne

With the abundance of HSC tutors, I think it would be hard getting a job, given that you haven't even finished school.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
With the abundance of HSC tutors, I think it would be hard getting a job, given that you haven't even finished school.
look at graduation year much?!?!

Look, to be honest, I think a 90 would be the minimum.
If you can't get a Band 6 yourself, I wouldn't be trying to help others get a Band 6.
u wud really set the standard that LOW...???

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I agree that a minimum of 90 is good enough mark wise to show you know most of your stuff, provided you didn't fluke your way to that 90 lol...

I also do not believe in the "the higher the mark, the better the tutor" myth. The difference between say 90 and 95 (particularly in maths) can easily be primarily due to too many silly mistakes rather than a big difference in knowledge. It is also certainly possible for students to achieve better marks than what their tutor once achieved.

Also, the HSC mark represents how much you knew in Year 12 and is certainly not indicative of what you may know since then. I for one, know a lot more about maths today than what I did in Year 12, after experiencing the course with my students and also studying maths at university.

The key is how well you can actually explain something and how well you can communicate ideas to a student, something which is almost independent of the HSC mark. Unfortunately, you can't really prove your abilities in that in an advertisement, particularly if you're starting out, so it will be your HSC marks that will be judged by its face value hence it may be difficult to attract students at first if they're not too great.
However, if you can get good student results and prove your communication skills on them, you will definitely notice a higher interest in your services if you continue to tutor.

That's pretty much how most businesses start out...

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I agree that a minimum of 90 is good enough mark wise to show you know most of your stuff, provided you didn't fluke your way to that 90 lol...

I also do not believe in the "the higher the mark, the better the tutor" myth. The difference between say 90 and 95 (particularly in maths) can easily be primarily due to too many silly mistakes rather than a big difference in knowledge. It is also certainly possible for students to achieve better marks than what their tutor once achieved.

Also, the HSC mark represents how much you knew in Year 12 and is certainly not indicative of what you may know since then. I for one, know a lot more about maths today than what I did in Year 12, after experiencing the course with my students and also studying maths at university.

The key is how well you can actually explain something and how well you can communicate ideas to a student, something which is almost independent of the HSC mark. Unfortunately, you can't really prove your abilities in that in an advertisement, particularly if you're starting out, so it will be your HSC marks that will be judged by its face value hence it may be difficult to attract students at first if they're not too great.
However, if you can get good student results and prove your communication skills on them, you will definitely notice a higher interest in your services if you continue to tutor.

I agree with most of what you've said, but 90 is still too low, IMO.
90/100 of raw mark means that the person can't answer 1/10 of exam questions correctly. Whether it's due to stupid mistakes or lack of knowledge doesn't matter. And plus, consistent mark of 90/100 would mean that stupid mistakes are not to blame. (It's quite dreadful if one makes that many consistent stupid mistakes.) 1/10 of error is still quite large - if one wants to teach others. (except 4u maths if we are talking about raw marks)

If a person has a proof that he/she improved significantly since the exam, then perhaps it's okay.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i agree that a minimum of 90 is good enough mark wise to show you know most of your stuff, provided you didn't fluke your way to that 90 lol...

Also, the hsc mark represents how much you knew in year 12 and is certainly not indicative of what you may know since then. I for one, know a lot more about maths today than what i did in year 12, after experiencing the course with my students and also studying maths at university.

The key is how well you can actually explain something and how well you can communicate ideas to a student, something which is almost independent of the hsc mark. Unfortunately, you can't really prove your abilities in that in an advertisement, particularly if you're starting out, so it will be your hsc marks that will be judged by its face value hence it may be difficult to attract students at first if they're not too great.

+1

There are way too many people who get 97+ but can't communicate =='

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

i think OP is referring to tutoring RIGHT AFTER YR12, as a result not much knowledge wud have been gained about HSC subjects in the couple of months after HSC exams, i mean 99% (made up figure lol) of skool kids wont even touch their HSC books unless it's for tutoring in these couple of months afterwards. Whereas it is completely understandable that someone like you who has graduated in 2006 has learnt a HUGE AMOUNT after finishing HSC.

Im not really one of those people who are into converting HSC mark into raw marks but ive heard a raw mark of around 90/120 in ext II maths will get u an HSC mark of 90. That is a SHIT LOAD of stupid mistakes to make in an exam and points to the fact that the student did not know some of the content in depth.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I think what I wanted to say is that 90 is (in my opinion) the absolute lower limit allowing "room for error" if that makes any sense. For example, someone with 90 may have been capable of getting say 93 (which is a mark looked upon more favourably by others than 90) at that time if the silly mistakes or nerves were not there. This capability of the tutor can be raised even higher when the course is revisited when tutoring and preparing notes.

I'm not necessarily saying all tutors who got just 90 themselves are good, I'm saying that there are some good ones out there despite that score.

Either way, regardless of one's "standard" which is subject to one's opinion, it all comes down to how well a tutor can communicate. That's the most important part.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
I think what I wanted to say is that 90 is (in my opinion) the absolute lower limit allowing "room for error" if that makes any sense. For example, someone with 90 may have been capable of getting say 93 (which is a mark looked upon more favourably by others than 90) at that time if the silly mistakes or nerves were not there. This capability of the tutor can be raised even higher when the course is revisited when tutoring and preparing notes.

I'm not necessarily saying all tutors who got just 90 themselves are good, I'm saying that there are some good ones out there despite that score.

Either way, regardless of one's "standard" which is subject to one's opinion, it all comes down to how well a tutor can communicate. That's the most important part.

hmmmmmmm well yer thats sorta fair enuf =S

however communication is the MOST important part??? if the tutor does not fully understand the course wat are they to communicate???
like with all the medicine entry applications and such, there is a huge focus on a person's ability to communicate, but thats only AFTER they have shown they are intelligent enuf, and mentally capable of studying medicine. I mean wats the point of having a doctor who can communicate with you well however has no idea wat the fuck is wrong with you....
Its the same sorta idea, wats the point of having a tutor who can explain the concepts to you really well, but can only explain half the concepts...

i wud say that the tutor's knowledge is therefore the most important thing in choosing a tutor (and ye i guess an ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM wud be 90, however i wud be looking for someone with a higher mark) and then to distinguish the good tutors from them wud be their ability to communicate ...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What would you say about the other extreme? - a tutor fully understands the course but cannot explain it at all...

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well naturally both the extremes: someone who fully understands yet cant explain AND someone who knows NOTHING but can explain really well are gonna both be useless for tutoring

i wud think someone who can half explain the entire course, and can half explain a thorough strategy for attempting harder questions, wud be far far better than someone who cud fully explain half the course, mainly focusing on the more basic concepts, and advising that you 'skip the hard questions' ....

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
you have to know your content, but if you know your content and suck at communication, then it doesn't help much.
so you probably need to be fairly good at explaining.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well all these attributes are all fundamental when it comes to tutoring. A minimum of 90 in the subject being tutored would be what I consider to be the required standard. But like Trebla, if you were to pinpoint the most important skill, I'd still say it would have to be effective communication, albeit marginally.

Knowledge is something that can be obtained and tinkered around, but to be a truly effective and engaging communicator, from my standpoint, requires just a bit more effort.

However, thats not to say that knowledge of the subject is irrelevant and gained easily. Realistically, if you were to find a 'good' tutor, you'd try to ensure that they did have a comprehensive understanding of the subject and competent communication skills...

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
LOL, I see. So you guys consider 90 as sufficient mark for one to become a tutor.
Personally though, I don't know if it's only me, but I'd never want to pay those with 90/100 for any kind of tutoring service. The knowledge gap between 90 and 97 is quite tremendous. (Of course there are exceptions, but generally)
Btw, I was referring to those who've just completed their HSC/ are just starting their tutoring service.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
True, but then again, realistically, people who receive 95+ marks for most of their subjects are quite scarce in some areas and even if they are present, demand for them is too great to the extent that they wouldn't be available to tutor students who weren't able to 'get in' first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)