Marriage equality (2 Viewers)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
*continues eating popcorn*

I'm just going to enjoy sitting on the right side of the fence here. Keep up the good work.

:smile:

Rouz

HSC
Concerning Darwinism...
This is the only bit on which I'm going to comment because I can get it done quickly.

Darwinism is a concept which explains the various mechanisms of change and it includes the Darwinian Theory of [biological] Evolution. It also explains short-term anthropological change but that's not something I want to discuss in depth on a marriage equality forum and it's not something I like reference again. If you're interested I suggest you read books concerning meme theory or self-evidently books concerning Darwinism in anthropology.

Now, it's 8 o'clock in here and I am tired so I will respond to the rest of your well laid-out (NOT sarcasm) arguments tomorrow. However, for the time being I wanted to appreciate your input... Wannaspoon calls this moral high ground but I'd like to call it de-tensioning. You have pretty good points and I want to let you know that my impression of religion has little impact on my impression of you, shall you be following one.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
This is the only bit on which I'm going to comment because I can get it done quickly.

Darwinism is a concept which explains the various mechanisms of change and it includes the Darwinian Theory of [biological] Evolution. It also explains short-term anthropological change but that's not something I want to discuss in depth on a marriage equality forum and it's not something I like reference again. If you're interested I suggest you read books concerning meme theory or self-evidently books concerning Darwinism in anthropology.

Now, it's 8 o'clock in here and I am tired so I will respond to the rest of your well laid-out (NOT sarcasm) arguments tomorrow. However, for the time being I wanted to appreciate your input... Wannaspoon calls this moral high ground but I'd like to call it de-tensioning. You have pretty good points and I want to let you know that my impression of religion has little impact on my impression of you, shall you be following one.
Yeah I don't disagree with some of "Darwinism", even as one religious; Darwin himself though I disagree with. Anthropology is highly relevant considering that marriage would fall under some classifications, but really enough has been said so yeah...

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I love a bit of popcorn as well :smile: the "right" side of the fence depends on which end of the fence you are looking at it from.
I use the word "right" as one would in a political debate.

The "left" side of the fence is a bit too 1970's for me.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I use the word "right" as one would in a political debate.

The "left" side of the fence is a bit too 1970's for me.
I thought you would be on the other side of the fence. Maybe you are fence sitting?? Or maybe not :smile:

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I thought you would be on the other side of the fence. Maybe you are fence sitting?? Or maybe not :smile:
When you sit on a fence, the upper half of your body resides in the side to which you belong, so that you can face the other side.

Your legs/feet dangle over on the other side.

This has been a metaphorgotten.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
When you sit on a fence, the upper half of your body resides in the side to which you belong, so that you can face the other side.

Your legs/feet dangle over on the other side.

This has been a metaphorgotten.
yeah, unless you have one leg in each side :smile:

Rouz

HSC
It is in the very definition of marriage that is defined as specifically as a man and woman, that I think highlights and celebrates both the equality and the difference between man and woman in a single union, monogamous, for life and with some thought for raising a family etc.
This is not the definition of marriage. Marriage is not one ubiquitous concept. Marriage is merely social convention subject to change. Your definition of marriage is the most dominant one because of the dominance of religions such as Christianity and because of arbitrary laws such as those in China (I may add on an unrelated note that polygamy was not seen as an issue in Ancient China and neither does Buddhism regulate it). In Islam, you may have up to four wives and in Islamic Law that is perfectly fine. In many micro religions and cultures, polygamy and polygyny are accepted... Now which one is the best definition of marriage? Is it the Christian one, or the Islamic one? Or the Chinese one? Or the Mormon or FLDS one? I don't know and frankly, I don't care because in my eyes, no one religion and its doctrines is more legitimate than the other.

Marriage was never just because two people love each other, and it traditionally never has been on such basis...
So is that a good thing...?

I understand the line of argument, that says it is discriminatory. I don't see why this definition of marriage, could be labelled as sexist or racist or any of those labels (maybe homophobic, but that is a recent label that I personally think when used often presumptuously)
Sexist, no. Racist, no. Homophobic, yes. Prejudice against homosexuals is called homophobia. When you don't bake a cake for somebody purely because they're gay, you are doing exactly that, whether you accept/see or not.

Discrimination can be a good thing depends on how it does done... I think that marriage is positive discrimination, recognising... the importance for a child where possible to have access to their biological father and mother with ease.
The fact that children have to have a mother and a father in order to turn out fine is a myth. Children in same-sex parented families do just as fine, and occasionally even better, as their peers in heterosexual couple families. Comparatively, they also experience a high quality of life and happy childhoods (There has been a lot of research done on this). The one problem that these kids experience is bullying and I am fairly certain that's not the parents' fault... At least not the gay parents' fault... ;)
Childhood experiences differ across homosexual couple and heterosexual couple families but that's due to the personality of each parent, not their sexual orientation.

I would comment also and say that historically, homosexuality was indeed widely practiced in pagan societies such as ancient Rome
If it exists among animals today, it has existed for a very long time in our history. But do not make a mistake as to the purpose of that paragraph. We're talking about our recent history. Homosexuality was dismissed as an illness! They had it right in front of them and they still could not accept that something that has existed in reality and literature for hundreds of years and something that still exists could be research-worthy... It wasn't deemed normal so it was chucked in the bin. Now... why wasn't it normal? There are a lot of reasons, some of which are more well-known that the others.

From about 300AD possible (I wouldn't think that strongly before that period). As mentioned, this argument doesn't apply to before that time period I suspect. Although I will say that the biological factor that a man-woman is required for reproduction in most species of animals lends itself to suggest that such is the "normative". I'd be careful with your conclusion, to make the claim, well they were stupid but we are now smarter - it ain't necessarily the case.
Yea, but before that time a widely-accepted religious definition of marriage didn't exist and neither did organised religion. The gays were not (at least in major parts of the world) prosecuted back then in the name of a deity or a belief... or a definition.
In addition, up until 300-500 CE we have a very rich history of gay literature. From philosophers writing about the sanctity of gay relationships and lustful nature of relationship with women to drawings from even before that time. Then, society suddenly begins to shut down homosexuality.
I find it curious as to why you chose 300 CE... because, now I am not saying this to upset you, that's around the time Rome started to adopt Christianity, which at the time was treated as cult. A century later, we see large scale prosecution of gays where they were burnt alive.

Last edited:

Rouz

HSC
Welcome to capitalism.
I appreciate the fact that in order to justify your stance, you have moved from the sciences of anthropology and religious studies and entered into the science of economy. However, I am disappointed by your lack of understanding of capitalism as well as your having a go at an argument that just does not make sense! I already shut down this argument a few pages ago but I'll do it once more for the last time.

Have a look at these three conversations:

Customer: sell me this banana for 20 cents.
Vendor: I can't.
Customer: Why not?
Vendor: Because I should sell it for $1, as I have already purchased it from the farmer for 50 cents.
*Customer leaves and finds another shop where he can buy a banana for 20 cents*

Vendor: Because you are black and my membership of the KKK means I must not sell bananas to you.
*Customer doesn't do anything because he's already been shot by the vendor*

Vendor: Because you are gay and my religion tells me not to sell bananas to gays.
*Customer sighs because the customer thought this was 2016*

One of these three dialogues had traces of capitalism and the free market. The other two were downright discrimination and have no place in society.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I appreciate the fact that in order to justify your stance, you have moved from the sciences of anthropology and religious studies and entered into the science of economy. However, I am disappointed by your lack of understanding of capitalism as well as your having a go at an argument that just does not make sense! I already shut down this argument a few pages ago but I'll do it once more for the last time.

Have a look at these three conversations:

Vendor: Because I should sell it for $1, as I have already purchased it from the farmer for 50 cents.
*Customer leaves and finds another shop where he can buy a banana for 20 cents*

Vendor: Because you are black and my membership of the KKK means I must not sell bananas to you.
*Customer doesn't do anything because he's already been shot by the vendor*

Vendor: Because you are gay and my religion tells me not to sell bananas to gays.
*Customer sighs because the customer thought this was 2016*

One of these three dialogues had traces of capitalism and the free market. The other two were downright discrimination and have no place in society.
Your example fails MASSIVELY because marriage is not dispensible like bananas.
The freedom of conscience. Most* people see "traditional marriage" as a sound value to hold to. (*debatedly).

Again you complain of religious people shoving an ideology down your throat, and the same is happening with this in this supposed cases of unlawful discrimination.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
This is not the definition of marriage. Marriage is not one ubiquitous concept. Marriage is merely social convention subject to change. Your definition of marriage is the most dominant one because of the dominance of religions such as Christianity and because of arbitrary laws such as those in China (I may add on an unrelated note that polygamy was not seen as an issue in Ancient China and neither does Buddhism regulate it). In Islam, you may have up to four wives and in Islamic Law that is perfectly fine. In many micro religions and cultures, polygamy and polygyny are accepted... Now which one is the best definition of marriage?

Is it the Christian one, or the Islamic one? Or the Chinese one? Or the Mormon or FLDS one? I don't know and frankly, I don't care because in my eyes, no one religion and its doctrines is more legitimate than the other.
Firstly, I will let DrSoccerball comment on whether your potrayal of the Islamic view of marriage because I don't think it is; so I will ignore that potential strawman. Marriage is hardly a social convention subject to change; in fact SSM is a major change, certainly the first of its kind.

What you find, is most cultures (especially non-Western) and also in Western cultures (although less common, with the decline of faith generally speaking); is that most people hold to a more ""traditional"" (how the term is often used in this debate, not its implicit meaning). It tends to be less faith based anyway, the justification for the existing position for marriage historically (as in 10 years ago). As your discussions with others on the thread should tell you; that one does not have to be Christian (as I would be), to hold to such an understanding. When I gave my response I was explicited devoid of the typical Christian attachments for your benefit (although that could be arbitrarily disputed), because it reflects a view that the agnostic/unchurched would hold to.

So is that a good thing...?
Well strictly speaking "love" is a word that has many meanings, such as philos, agape, eros. If it is erotic love than the government really should have no say (but this would contradict the consitution). So the government never legislates marriage on the basis of love. The purposes of marriage include the raising of children.

Sexist, no. Racist, no. Homophobic, yes. Prejudice against homosexuals is called homophobia. When you don't bake a cake for somebody purely because they're gay, you are doing exactly that, whether you accept/see or not.
Sorry this the only thing I will take any slight offence to. To call the existing definition of marriage, prejudice?
Again, that is assumed your presumptuous claim that marriage is something that can be dished out (ironically like a piece of cake). It doesn't have to and that isn't how some (I won't say most) see it. I.e. it is assumed to be RIGHT or ENTITLEMENT to any two people. It isn't, it is a gift, and I already mentioned my reasons. And that is an issue, because this rhetoric is being swung around.

How on earth is it homophobia? It says nothing about the morality of homosexuality or on homosexuality at all; although some do find it questionable? When did since expressing sentiment with a view that is current in law, quantify uncritically as homophobia. I am sorry, but I will have to disagree on your conclusion. I am opposed to homophobia; and I find it incredibly, how do I put this, kinda of close to intolerance.

I would even comment that marriage law kind of is "agnostic" towards homosexuality (it doesn't care for or against it). It doesn't comment on it. It comments on what marriage is; not what it is. It doesn't single out gays as some group that therefore society should look down upon, shame, lock up or kill.

2. Positive discrimination or differentiation is a good thing. Consider the example of the USU who recently went on an anti-discrimination campaign (if you like) against faith-based groups that required for members to agree with a statement of faith. There was right criticism of such actions (even though they hadn't gone ahead with); because it jeopardises the freedom to associate (a form of discrimination in the eyes of some). If you analyse for instance the positive discrimination that is used for specific groups, for instance Indigenous Australians; or discrimination that means that men use men's bathrooms and women use women's bathrooms (or in sport for instance); such discrimination is permissible because it discriminates in favor of that. I would argue the same with marriage on a similar, but modified basis.

So it comes down to one word: DEFINITION.
If a faith-based group, political party, or interest group (e.g. the queer group; maths society) can restrict themselves, reasonably to those who faith, or that political view. Why cannot marriage be (in a lesser sense of course)?
The fact that children have to have a mother and a father in order to turn out fine is a myth. Children
in same-sex parented families do just as fine, and occasionally even better, as their peers in heterosexual couple families. Comparatively, they also experience a high quality of life and happy childhoods (There has been a lot of research done on this). The one problem that these kids experience is bullying and I am fairly certain that's not the parents' fault... At least not the gay parents' fault... ;)

Childhood experiences differ across homosexual couple and heterosexual couple families but that's due to the personality of each parent, not their sexual orientation.
I will comment on that last statement, and say most of the negative experiences of the former I have heard, have mainly been due to mother/father leaving their spouse in a marriage (i.e. man-woman marriage that is), for a same-sex partner.

But please note I did not comment on whether gay parents cannot parent, and I am sure that they can and sometimes (not always) can do a better job especially when you are talking about foster kids or adopted kids. Gay parenting is a bit mixed; and I suspect the research is a bit mixed, if you account for bias that goes both ways. Strictly speaking, a child should have an access to their mother and father (biological) where possible and with ease without all the legislative process and all that. I think even the UN recognizes the importance of a child having a mother and father (although does not mandate it that strongly if I remember correctly)

Secondly, as I mentioned, which is probably the core of our disagreement, is males and females or more strictly to avoid ambiguity men and women are not just different anatomically but also in other ways.

Thirdly, the whole issue of surrogacy is a loaded one too. Groups like the ACL; raise it but in a poor fashion (or at least how the media sees it). It is an issue that needs to be discussed.

Fourthly, as a summary statement, the current laws recognize the foundation of the family, and recognize the importance of the raising of children to be done in such context, to reduce "children of the state".

If it exists among animals today, it has existed for a very long time in our history. But do not make a mistake as to the purpose of that paragraph. We're talking about our recent history. Homosexuality was dismissed as an illness! They had it right in front of them and they still could not accept that something that has existed in reality and literature for hundreds of years and something that still exists could be research-worthy... It wasn't deemed normal so it was chucked in the bin. Now... why wasn't it normal? There are a lot of reasons, some of which are more well-known that the others.

Yea, but before that time a widely-accepted religious definition of marriage didn't exist and neither did organised religion. The gays were not (at least in major parts of the world) prosecuted back then in the name of a deity or a belief... or a definition.
In addition, up until 300-500 CE we have a very rich history of gay literature. From philosophers writing about the sanctity of gay relationships and lustful nature of relationship with women to drawings from even before that time. Then, society suddenly begins to shut down homosexuality.
I find it curious as to why you chose 300 CE... because, now I am not saying this to upset you, that's around the time Rome started to adopt Christianity, which at the time was treated as cult. A century later, we see large scale prosecution of gays where they were burnt alive.
I'd rather not talk about the gores of paganism in this thread really. There is some good in our society not holding to the Ancient religions where children would be sacrificed and slaughtered in the name of some deity of the soil etc. I will comment that even pedophilia was a thing up until 300-500 CE, just because the ancients did it, certainly does not justify it.

Yeah there are the pros and cons, of have religion involved in politics which is why I picked 300CE ish for the very reason you stated. Normal could be classified as acceptable. What you find today, is most people don't care about personal live (in terms of sexual life), but do care about marriage.

Marriage until recently was closely linked with reproduction & sex, so historically I think the basis was because for most species, include humans to reproduce, a man and a woman are required.

What I would comment and say is what happened at 300CE ish is the same as what is happening today:
a new "religion" replacing an old religion. In the 300; it was a "Christian" (and for the Middle East, you could say Islamic) religion. Today it is Christianity that is on the out; and some new thing (haven't thought of a name) that is coming in. (This is why many argue on a slippery slope basis, whether misguided or not).

Finally I think a "binding" plebisicite is a good idea. While in 2004, it was clear what the Australian people generally wanted on this issue and what the general consensus is; because of Australia's diverse community, both in terms of views of this issue and cultures; in 2016, it is not clear-cut what Australia wants on this issue. Because it is a massive issue.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Aren't the main arguments against homosexuality in the old testament? Which has been questioned by people such as Paul (Disagreements on Levictus etc)

Rouz

HSC
To call the existing definition of marriage, prejudice?...
I don't like to offend people so I wrote this instead of having my breakfast in order to reverse my unintended offending of you.

There is a lot in that paragraph with which we can just agree to disagree, because we're evidently following different schools of thought. I should then proceed to clarify that when I talk of the baker and the florist, I am not talking about the definition of marriage anymore. I'm talking about discrimination, which is current law.

You can be of a certain faith and have the belief that marriage should not be extended to gays. That's fine. You call it your conscious, I call it blind obedience of a book with questionable morals (but let's not go there). Hopefully up to this point we're on the same page.

Now let's say the said person of faith has a bakery. Let's say the said person is also the best damn baker in that city (to limit the scope of the economic argument). Now, this baker is visited by a gay couple who need a cake for their wedding. The baker would be committing the offence of discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation, if he chose to deny the couple a cake purely because they are gay.

The baker is obliged to bake and sell them a cake and that's not marriage equality speaking, that's discrimination speaking. You may argue that the baker's baking a cake goes against his conscience but that should not be the case. I come back to my priest example. I would completely understand and respect a conservative Christian priest who has been in service for 40 years to refuse to bless a gay marriage, but I do not respect a baker's choice of refusing to bake a cake. Baking and selling a cake is a civil and not religious transaction and is governed by relatively fair rules.

Not an issue marriage equality but discrimination.

Hopefully you are accordingly less offended.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Aren't the main arguments against homosexuality in the old testament? Which has been questioned by people such as Paul (Disagreements on Levictus etc)
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 was also written by Paul but also was Romans 1:18-26. But there is indeed a difference thankfully between the two (Old Testament/New Testament).

But the main thrust in politics is certainly not why SSM is not introduced or is introduced on a Christian moral argument anyway -the arguments used tend to be more general; and less Christian-specific terminology.|

*too many double negatives. let me fix that

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't like to offend people so I wrote this instead of having my breakfast in order to reverse my unintended offending of you.

There is a lot in that paragraph with which we can just agree to disagree, because we're evidently following different schools of thought. I should then proceed to clarify that when I talk of the baker and the florist, I am not talking about the definition of marriage anymore. I'm talking about discrimination, which is current law.

You can be of a certain faith and have the belief that marriage should not be extended to gays. That's fine. You call it your conscious, I call it blind obedience of a book with questionable morals (but let's not go there). Hopefully up to this point we're on the same page.
Yeah if you want to go there, there is a thread for that. "Questionable morals" I could say that SSM and a lot of progressive politics/ideology is questionable morals but lets not go there. We are on the same page, I will note that morality/moralism is not the main point of the Bible anyway; although it is still important.

Now let's say the said person of faith has a bakery. Let's say the said person is also the best damn baker in that city (to limit the scope of the economic argument). Now, this baker is visited by a gay couple who need a cake for their wedding. The baker would be committing the offence of discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation, if he chose to deny the couple a cake purely because they are gay.
Hopefully you are accordingly less offended.
I would agree that in most cases; you would find they would happily bake the cake for gays in any other situation, just not for a SS wedding. That is the difference, it is because that would affirm same-sex marriage not because of their orientation. Now it just becomes a big legal dispute every time. Now does that make it less discriminatory?
In your eyes, probably not. The issue comes when a particular ideology that goes against the values of an organisation/business are being imposed unreasonably. And you would find that is what is happening.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)