• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Marriage. Neccessary? (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
In this time of high divorces and reports of greater numbers of people leading single lives, is marriage neccessary? Besides the silly notion of love, you could live with your partner without ever having to marry them. So what are the benefits of being marriage?

yy

HSC
N/A
i'm pretty sure this has been discussed before in love and relationship section. my opinion is marriage is absolutely not necessary. maybe apart from for immigration purposes.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
What's the point of anything in life other than food and possibly shelter and clothing and health-related things?

Because people want to.

*waits for the intellectuals to explain to him how people only get married because they're conditioned to want to by society or some crap like that*

Oh, and they don't even have to get married to get the stuff in TS' post, you can just live together for however many years it is and defacto status is pretty much the same anyway.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As far as financial, etc benefits that flow from state recognition you forget that defacto relationships are recognised and given an equal position to marriage.

Personally I only see marriage as formalising a pre-existing arrangement eg I would only get married after I had been living with someone for a while. I see engagement as pretty much surplus to requirements and the period of engagement would be short eg from the announcement of an immenant wedding to the wedding - no silly long engagements for me...

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
i'd like to get married. more than anything its a symbol that you want to be with the other person forever and that you love them. that you want to build something with them.
for other people, this concept might be old and outdated. it just depends on your thoughts on marriage. i've seen how my parents marriage works and i'm never going to end up like that. i think marriage should be fun and always interesting- that you have holidays and fun nights and romantic nights and time away from each other and mates outside the marriage and rah rah. nothing much changes i dont think cept that you have that security and the common goal of building something with that person.

Generator

HSC
N/A
yy said:
i'm pretty sure this has been discussed before in love and relationship section.
Yes, it has been discussed before, but I can see no reason to close this thread just yet. Of course, I would prefer it if those debating the issue did so from a socio-political point of view - if you want to talk about personal notions of love alone and as such ignore the wider issues, please take it to the other sub-forum.

davin

HSC
N/A
not necessary, but i'd think the point of it is to give a more tangible proof of commitment.

teegz4sun

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
What's the point of anything in life other than food and possibly shelter and clothing and health-related things?

Because people want to.

*waits for the intellectuals to explain to him how people only get married because they're conditioned to want to by society or some crap like that*

Oh, and they don't even have to get married to get the stuff in TS' post, you can just live together for however many years it is and defacto status is pretty much the same anyway.
no its not the same totally different one is state the other federal and when u split its betta to b married (federal)

teegz4sun

HSC
loquasagacious said:
As far as financial, etc benefits that flow from state recognition you forget that defacto relationships are recognised and given an equal position to marriage.

Personally I only see marriage as formalising a pre-existing arrangement eg I would only get married after I had been living with someone for a while. I see engagement as pretty much surplus to requirements and the period of engagement would be short eg from the announcement of an immenant wedding to the wedding - no silly long engagements for me...
they are not seen as married good are you all stupid about this do u even do legal studies?

teegz4sun

HSC
i want to get married its a personal choice really but the meaning behind it shows the other person that u love them and want to b with them

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
I don't see the point... I mean people say that marriage should be for love rather than material things like money and stuff but really love doesnt mean that the relationship will stay stable. Someone may think they want to spend the rest of their lives with another person but as soon as the going gets tough their gone...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Lets all take marriage into perspective and engage the issue from various viewpoints: personal, financial, social etc.

The purpose of marriage is a union of two separate individuals. Formerly, through religious rituals, for Westerners the church, this in my opinion ment that the wife was, more or less, property ( don't you feminazis start attacking me ). But with the rise of feminism and the relative rise in equality, women do not require men to survive financially and for security. So where does that leave marriage now? The sense of family? That may be true but in the context of today's society and the drop in birthrate, the rise of single living and greater divorces why marry? Do you marry are a financial deal between the two individuals, pooling of resources for the ambitious? Or is marriage, to some, still the prehistoric man makes money, wife stays at home ideal? Can we ever be certain that who we marry today will be with us till death do us part?

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
marriage is very important, but i'm actually not surprised to peoples thoughts on wanting not to marry, but as a person that's been to many places overseas, when compared, particularly australia has lower marriage rates. ofcourse many factors effect this, such as religion, social status, education...personally i wouldnt want to live with someone without the marriage, i mean, the guy or girl could just sex u then leave, and you have no right to ask them where they are, or why they left you, that's for people who care about virginity, for people who don't, same thing, you cant really question why anybody does anything, it is less likely that this will happen when married, because you are sure that the person really loves you, and this is only one of the many examples. marriage, well, it is a symbol, a commitment in front of people, vowing that you will love eachother until the end, people can live together without marriage, but you have less rights, less guarantee it will work out.

Mongke

HSC
well i suppose it could help if you have children. it would make them think you were in a secure relationship and nothing will talke you from your partner. its true that the divorse rate is high but that doesnt mean marriage has suddenly lost all merrit for comitment. im not religious but i think if you get married it puts a formality on the relationship that your kids will apreciate. i did :)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Marriage makes people less inclined to cheat on their partner, which is a good thing and beneficial for society as less people cheating on each other will raise levels of happiness.

Unless it's a bad marriage where a person's spouse is an abusive alcoholic and having a secret lover is the only way to derive any happiness from existence.

I don't know.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Marriage = Responsibility. That's why you vow at the alter. Most people are caught in the moment of love, with no real sense of the future. First of all, there is too little forgiving and forgetting and we're so stressed over work, money (blame John Howard), children etc etc...But marriage is necessary! Traditionally and all! Otherwise, the new-age de facto relationships offer no security (both parties can walk out), not as much responsibility and most importantly, no real sense of home for the children. Parents should compromise for the children - I know many people disagree here, but divorce shouldn't be made to happen so often! Think of the children - they're the victims! If we can "open both eyes before marriage and close one after" (Shakespeare) and all learn to be generous and not so selfish in marriage - there'll be lots more happy families...And it all comes down to education: We should be acadmically and morally educated. If John Howard is mean enough to raise education expenses e.g. HECS etc, Australia will go straight down the drain to Hell.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Well, I'd think children might be happier and healthier with separated parents than in a bad marriage (with fights, abuse, alcohol abuse etc.). That said, if marriage is about responsibility as you say, that may be why they fail so often lately, as everyone carries on about their rights but doesn't want to hear about responsibilities.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Are marriages more stable than defacto relationships? Perhaps the symbolic action of a wedding etc makes people feel more connected to their spouse than they may otherwise feel.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Are marriages more stable than defacto relationships? Perhaps the symbolic action of a wedding etc makes people feel more connected to their spouse than they may otherwise feel.
i second that. that's what i meant before, partly, if there is no marriage, people are more free....for some that's good, for some it's not.....freedom = more likely to love less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)