Math Ext 1 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Siwel

HSC
ye ik but i used auxillary for the plane one because i solved simultaneously using vectors instead of geometry and trigonometry
i did it correct except i had wind going south not coming from the south... Definitely more of a physics question then maths though

Jojofelyx

HSC
what makes you say this. tbh the exam was kinda simple just the binomial one was very poorly worded, as with the standard one as well

just so happy the nesa gods answered our prayers and combinatorics was like 3 marks 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩
Your following comment "the exam was kinda simple" makes me say this ahaha, think we're on the same page here. Not only ruse, but practically 90% of all selective schools, hell, anyone good at x1 (who cares enough to read the question properly lol), is gonna get a raw 68+/70 in this.

notme123

HSC
Not only ruse, but practically 90% of all selective schools, hell, anyone good at x1 (who cares enough to read the question properly lol), is gonna get a raw 68+/70 in this.
so do you reckon scaling would be better or worse this year compared to lasts.

Jojofelyx

HSC
so do you reckon scaling would be better or worse this year compared to lasts.
imho, worse, unless a lot of people around the state were just like me and didnt know how to read lol. Thought that paper was pretty free until the very last question pretty much, and q10 a little bitta thinking. 4u and Adv will 100% scale better, i did 2u last year and that was an absolute pisstake ngl, most people i know, finished that paper with like an hour and 40mins left, 2021 adv on the other hand much harder. My maths tutor got 99 in x2 last year and she said this years was a fair bit harder so thats what im deriving from. She also got 100 in x1, and said this year was easier, i guess that serves as a confirmation bias for me, which is why i still reckon 2021 x1 was easier than last year.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I just made a dot to dot for all the direction field things going through P. Kinda concerned because i thought it looked absolutely fine, but the solns given above look very different. Mine looked like this:
Looks like Jojofelyx was right and one eight seven wrong.

The direction field with answer is here (thanks to andy!):

andi!.png

Last edited:

Jojofelyx

HSC
mine dipped a bit lower do you think its still valid
im sure itll be fine. Slope fields just have to be fulfilled in those regions where it shows those specific gradients. Tehcnically, you could have a total spazm in the middle of 2 of the dash's, and it 'technically' be correct.(cuz if they havnt given you a specific formula, then who knows what happens between the bounds 0.68<x<0.70, just as an example). Although thats a pretty risky approach, i dont think itd be advised for anyone to do that lol

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Was this year’s more difficult in comparison to last year? I’ve got a bias to say this years paper was more difficult but what do you guys think. I’d like to see what @Trebla or @CM_Tutor thinks about this years exam.

BAYPALS

HSC
imo it was much harder - but for what :rolleyes:
i dont think it was harder - but i would say the room for errors/sillies was much greater in this paper.

This resembled a 2U paper more than a 3U paper with all the areas and volumes and shit it was weird

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Was this year’s more difficult in comparison to last year? I’ve got a bias to say this years paper was more difficult but what do you guys think. I’d like to see what @Trebla or @CM_Tutor thinks about this years exam.
My personal view was it more like what you “expected” from the HSC i.e. pretty stock standard questions until you dive into Q13 onwards or last couple of multiple choice (I was very surprised they went very easy on perms/combs though). The thing about last year’s paper was that the combinatoric proof question with binomial theorem was unexpected because binomial theorem and combinatoric proofs is a very small part of the new syllabus (whereas in the old syllabus it was dedicated as a whole topic). Kinda like how this year’s Advanced and (to a lesser extent) Extension 2 turned out a little bit unexpected and caught people off.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Also, slightly controversial, I quite liked the sample proportion question as it really tested whether you knew your stuff conceptually. Most sample proportion questions are pretty generic just blindly plugging numbers into formulae.

hatterene

HSC
um within the last 5 seconds of the test i had a lot of doubt with mc and i changed a question 4 times... looking like this. do you think they'll recognise my answer. :rolleyes:
tempImagewiLXMe.jpg

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, slightly controversial, I quite liked the sample proportion question as it really tested whether you knew your stuff conceptually. Most sample proportion questions are pretty generic just blindly plugging numbers into formulae.
The wording of that sample proportion question was a real pain trying to dissect in the heat of the moment but looking at it now and really taking a good amount of time to comprehend it, I do see what you mean.

stupidpersonlol

HSC
i feel like the time was super tight this year, but content wise this year was easier lol...i just made many mistakes anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)