math1001: differential calculus (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Wyvern
I already told you, you convert -1+i into polar form. Then you cube root it (cube rooting a poal complex number is simple and straight from the notes). That will be your first solution.

To get the other solution you add (2*PI)/3 to the angle and then again to get the third solution. Its straight from the notes man.

i thought you get an angle of -Pi/4, given that a = -1 and b = 1, tan = b/a = -1/1 = -1 = -45 = -Pi/4, and given the general rule

-Pi/4 +/- 2kPi, where k is consecutive, e.g. 1,2,3

Collin

HSC
N/A
Our first question is to sketch the set A, where A is the element of the complex number set, such that [mod(z-1)]=1.

Probably a typical question 2 for the regular classes.

Wyvern

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
i thought you get an angle of -Pi/4, given that a = -1 and b = 1, tan = b/a = -1/1 = -1 = -45 = -Pi/4,

Well thats part of converting it into polar form

and given the general rule

-Pi/4 +/- 2kPi, where k is consecutive, e.g. 1,2,3
I am not sure if your method works but

Since the n nth roots are evenly spaced around a circle, they are separated by an angle of (2* PI)/n

Wyvern

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Our first question is to sketch the set A, where A is the element of the complex number set, such that [mod(z-1)]=1.

Probably a typical question 2 for the regular classes.
Yeah in second year :lol:

nah our 3a is sort of like that and it is probably the hardest question in the assignment

Collin

HSC
N/A
Really? They give you examples of these kinds of sketch 'mod(z-a)=k' questions at around page 20 in the book. Should be really, really easy, even for non-advanced students.

Wyvern

HSC
Originally posted by Carlito
man, can someone explain to me how to do 3(a) parts ii and iii
for part ii) Re z >= -1 you can figure out by looking at page 16 on your notes at example v). It would be virtually the same thing only its the whole area greater then x=-1 as it is asking for Re z instead of Imz.
the upside down U thing means sketch the area included in both Rez >= -1 and arg z between PI/4 and PI2.

Now arg z = PI/2 is the positive y axis and arg z = PI/4 is the line y=x so it is basically the area between those 2 lines as they are both included in Rez >=-1

lm1122

HSC
I'm sooooo confused.... maybe i shouldn't have slept the last few lectures... well, i mean 8am is just rediculous. Really. But anyway, i dont know if i'm right or not, but for Q1(b)iii i got 2root8cis(13pi/12)... if it is right (and im really scared its not) how do we get 13pi/12 to fit in the given domain? (- pi < O < pi).... Ahhhhhh i hate maths!

Last edited:

Wyvern

HSC
Really. But anyway, i dont know if i'm right or not, but for Q1(b)iii i got 2root8cis(13pi/12)... if it is right (and im really scared its not) how do we get 13pi/12 to fit in the given domain -pi<0<pi???????????????????? Ahhhhh i hate maths :( [/B]
well go the other way.........13PI/12 is equal to -11PI/12

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by lm1122
I'm sooooo confused.... maybe i shouldn't have slept the last few lectures... well, i mean 8am is just rediculous. Really. But anyway, i dont know if i'm right or not, but for Q1(b)iii i got 2root8cis(13pi/12)... if it is right (and im really scared its not) how do we get 13pi/12 to fit in the given domain? (- pi < O < pi).... Ahhhhhh i hate maths!
I'm not sure how you're getting that answer for 1b (iii) because it's totally different for me, how are you doing the working out for that ques? Polar Multiplication?

Carlito

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
I'm not sure how you're getting that answer for 1b (iii) because it's totally different for me, how are you doing the working out for that ques? Polar Multiplication?
yeah use the results from parts i and ii and perform polar multiplication on them

Carlito

HSC
for 3c did you get (x^2 - 2x + 2) as the answer from the long division?

if so, what do we do after that to get the roots, because i cant factorise that... or do i have to use the dodgy quadratic formula?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Carlito
for 3c did you get (x^2 - 2x + 2) as the answer from the long division?

if so, what do we do after that to get the roots, because i cant factorise that... or do i have to use the dodgy quadratic formula?
yea use the quadratic, and you should have two complex roots.

JUB JUB

HSC
yep that's right.

and yes you have to use the quadratic formula....but it works out nicely :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Wyvern
Anyone got any hints about 3 a) iii) ?
ok... well look at Rez + Im z < 0 as

x + y < 0
y<-x

;) mmmm

JUB JUB

HSC
just graph them seperatly and then join them.... =)

it kinda resembles a downhill road wiith a road hump lol

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by JUB JUB
just graph them seperatly and then join them.... =)

it kinda resembles a downhill road wiith a road hump lol

yay i got it right :D

Carlito

HSC
Im completley lost with that question, its the only one i have left to do lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)