MATH1004 Discrete Math (1 Viewer)

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi back to aks one question. If I take an extra subject MATH1004, I'm guessing its not going to be covered by HECS. I was going to take it in summer school though

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you take it during sem HECS will cover it
But HECS doesn't cover USyd summer/winter school
Which means you have to pay upfront
Which is fucking expensive!

HSC
But... I do discrete maths...and you hate me... so...

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
If you take it during sem HECS will cover it
But HECS doesn't cover USyd summer/winter school
Which means you have to pay upfront
Which is fucking expensive!
Dont laugh but I don't remember posting this thread, i only remember asking you. Anyway, they have fee-help.
I want to do summer school cause you have no idea how much I dread being off uni for 4 months. I will end up with cabin fever.

But... I do discrete maths...and you hate me... so...
Nothing to do with you.

Last edited:

lawstu

HSC
It's incredibly stupid that summer/winter school isn't HECS-HELPable but if you want to be proactive or get through your units without spending additional time, do it. You'll pay it back when you do, but just don't spend an eternity fucking around uni and not doing something with your life!
Dont laugh but I don't remember posting this thread, i only remember asking you. Anyway, they have fee-help.
I want to do summer school cause you have no idea how much I dread being off uni for 4 months. I will end up with cabin fever.
Generally, summer/winter school units are more but also less intense than their in-semester counterparts. They are more intense in that the content is taught in a shorter span, but that could work for you. They can be less intense, as there is less downtime between lectures and less opportunity to screw around.

The really stupid thing is that some units are only offered as winter/summer school units (e.g., SLS electives), meaning those that do these units have to pay a small fortune.

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the response but it is gonna be too expensive for me ;) I do t really wanna pay another debt on top of hecs

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
*laughs* :p

Just study at the library then. :p
FEE-HELP is like upfront fee rate plus a 10% interest rate or something (probs more)

Thanks for the response but it is gonna be too expensive for me ;) I do t really wanna pay another debt on top of hecs
good

The really stupid thing is that some units are only offered as winter/summer school units (e.g., SLS electives), meaning those that do these units have to pay a small fortune.
That's fucking shit.

funnytomato

HSC
Hi back to aks one question. If I take an extra subject MATH1004, I'm guessing its not going to be covered by HECS. I was going to take it in summer school though
the number of subjects offered in summer school is quite limited though
from what I can remember, only the popular ones are offered , like math1001 , maths2061 etc

lawstu

HSC
That's fucking shit.
Well, that's USyd all right.

Speaking of fucking shit, law's fucking shit, and I wish I didn't go down this path.
I decided im taking it during semester:)
If you're interested in speeding up your progression through your course, you could overload. However, it can be quite intense, especially in units with load of labs (e.g., biomedical units, chemistry units). Mathematics, physics, and geoscience kids can probably overload comfortable if they can manage the coursework and additional problems/practice.
the number of subjects offered in summer school is quite limited though
from what I can remember, only the popular ones are offered , like math1001 , maths2061 etc
That is, classes worth running.
check out http://sydney.edu.au/summer/ for subjects offered some time next month

but I don't think it's worth it even if it's offered
Per http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/SS/SS1004/r/2013info1004.pdf, it appears that it has run previously, albeit by a then few-months-old Ph.D. student (but also an IMO guy and a Medallist).

Per http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/SS/SS1004/, it appears that it will run again for the 2014 SS.

TBH, if you're not in a hurry to finish units or won't overload, you probably are better off doing it in-semester. However, if this means messing your TT and graduating later than you would, maybe it's better that you do it during SS.

May I ask why you considered taking this in SS? Being proactive? Repeating a subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)