MATH1131 vs MATH1011 (1 Viewer)

lzlzlz

HSC
I just transferred to CompSci from MQ. I'm still figuring out whether I should enroll in MATH1131 or MATH1011 this semester. I only did 2U with a ~70 grade, but I managed to get a credit (70) in DMTH137 (equivalent to MATH1081, assumed knowledge for which is Ext 1). I covered a few Ext 1 topics in discrete maths, and I'm doing revision to prepare for the semester.

Can anyone offer advice on whether I should take MATH1011, or just go into MATH1131? I don't have all the assumed knowledge for 1131 but I think studying discrete maths taught me beyond 2U material and I'm currently studying the calculus topics covered in 1131. I want to avoid taking 1231 in Summer Term if possible, and I might underload (18 UoC) this semester which will give me more time to focus on maths. Thanks.

such_such

HSC
Definitely go for MATH1131 if you're willing to put the effort for it. Just do the assigned tutorial questions every week and don't fall behind, and it shouldn't be hard to get a CR or DN. Also there's a lot of online quizzes which are actually free marks imo due every couple of weeks. Don't miss any of them and you should be fine.

brad1

HSC
N/A
I can send you the tutorial questions and syllabus PDF thing for 1131, so you can look at the revision chapter and see what you're missing if you like. Just PM me your email.

I need to go over a lot of it myself. Remember that there is a revision quiz early on, and from there you still have time to transfer into 1011.

Here are the headings:

Revision questions

Inequalities and Absolute Values

Trigonometry

Functions

Limits of some Rational Functions

Simple Differentiation

Tangents and Normals

Stationary Points

Integration

Integration by Substitution

Area and Volume

Logarithms

Remainder Theorem

Binomial Theorem

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Go for MATH1131; give it a go. If you want to do well, then it's up to you to put effort into it. There's plenty of help available, whether it be in person formally/informally, or online, such as facebook groups or even here on BoS.

lzlzlz

HSC
Thanks brad; I've already downloaded the pdf and am using it as a guide so I know what I need to study. Are you also doing MATH1131?

brad1

HSC
N/A
I'll go straight into Math 1A, yeah. I did the EXT1 bridging course and didn't do amazingly, but there's still a few weeks of study to work on that stuff.

If it doesn't work I'll just move to 1011 before the census date.

lzlzlz

HSC
What was the content of the bridging course? I figure that if passing the bridging course means you are prepared for MATH1131, then I can just study the same topics. There's not much time before semester, but a couple of weeks should be enough to revise the remaining topics.

brad1

HSC
N/A
I found it quite hard as it assumes a lot of things from 2U which I never did, which assumes a lot more things from other stuff I never did, etc etc. I think if you have 2U knowledge you wouldn't find the bridging course very difficult at all.

I only did 2U with a ~70 grade, but I managed to get a credit (70) in DMTH137 (equivalent to MATH1081
You will be fine with a little study. (Discrete Math doesn't use much of the assumed knowledge, only induction from what I remember.)

lzlzlz

HSC
Discrete Mathematics also involves binomial theorem and counting, which are from Ext 1. The UNSW course might vary from what I studied, though.

brad1

HSC
N/A
You're right. I remember induction so specifically as the other things you mentioned are a lot easier to learn with no math background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)