• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MATH1141 Question Worked Solutions (1 Viewer)

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi all,
Just wondering if we would at some point get a copy of worked solutions to the problems in the course pack?
Has it been given out in other years?
Does anyone have a digital copy of it (if it exists)?
Thanks,
cya

D94

HSC
N/A
No worked solutions will be provided.

Whilst some tutors in the past have given out snippets of worked solutions, they have been directed by the first year director to not give out worked solutions. The idea behind this (and it is a fair one) is that you have tutorials where you can ask questions, there are lecturer and tutor consultation times, and there's the School of Maths Student Support Scheme where you can get help as well.

There may be unofficial solutions written by students, but I haven't seen any digital copy floating around. You can always ask questions here, on the UNSW Mathsoc Facebook group/s, or even make a FB group of your own and get help from other students in your cohort.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
No worked solutions will be provided.

Whilst some tutors in the past have given out snippets of worked solutions, they have been directed by the first year director to not give out worked solutions. The idea behind this (and it is a fair one) is that you have tutorials where you can ask questions, there are lecturer and tutor consultation times, and there's the School of Maths Student Support Scheme where you can get help as well.

There may be unofficial solutions written by students, but I haven't seen any digital copy floating around. You can always ask questions here, on the UNSW Mathsoc Facebook group/s, or even make a FB group of your own and get help from other students in your cohort.
lol, the tutorials (IMO) are pointless. you waste an hour (or two) of your time going through what others had difficulty with (that you may not necessarily have) but when you put your hand up its 5 minutes till the end of class and the tutor is like "nahh bro, we'll do that one next week"

the SSS thing is also quite "useless." i went to the week 2 one and there were a lot of people there (like 12 or so, all asian, dont know how that's relevant) and there was only one teaching guy trying to answer all different types of questions in like an hour and when people cut into your time like what can you really do? "oi bro, **** off mate"

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol, the tutorials (IMO) are pointless. you waste an hour (or two) of your time going through what others had difficulty with (that you may not necessarily have) but when you put your hand up its 5 minutes till the end of class and the tutor is like "nahh bro, we'll do that one next week"
That's why you get in first.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
That's why you get in first.
i am the first one in (usually) lol. I think pretty much all the asians on campus are scared of me because i am black, i saw a woman hold onto her purse really tightly at the bus stop when i was around lol. but when i put my hand up in that same millisecond someone else does as well and the tutor chooses the other guy. so i usually dont bother, i just put my headphones in and then work at my own pace. Honestly if they didn't mark the roll, i would never attend until exams lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i am the first one in (usually) lol. I think pretty much all the asians on campus are scared of me because i am black, i saw a woman hold onto her purse really tightly at the bus stop when i was around lol. but when i put my hand up in that same millisecond someone else does as well and the tutor chooses the other guy. so i usually dont bother, i just put my headphones in and then work at my own pace. Honestly if they didn't mark the roll, i would never attend until exams lol
dw i wore my wanderers jersey around to uni and people thought i was probably going to shank them so they took a wide berth

MilkDrinker

HSC
Awww,
that is a real shame. I work best with worked solutions. They are the quick way to solve what problems you are having :O
And in all fairness, most of the time, when you put your hand up to suggest a question, they go in numerical order, so they may never get to the hard ones at the end...

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
dw i wore my wanderers jersey around to uni and people thought i was probably going to shank them so they took a wide berth
lol, thats not so bad. the things i have seen up to now have been kind of sad.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Awww,
that is a real shame. I work best with worked solutions. They are the quick way to solve what problems you are having :O
And in all fairness, most of the time, when you put your hand up to suggest a question, they go in numerical order, so they may never get to the hard ones at the end...
we could maybe share solutions? dibs doing the review excercise :p

MilkDrinker

HSC
I saw that question but could not quite get it... but also, if I am not wrong, I think I had different values to yours

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
did you have to calculate some deformation or something?

can you just like leave it blank or something?

i can't believe we are 3 or so weeks into uni and they're expecting us to work like machienes. I mean i know uni is meant to be hard and challening (it is tertiary education after all) but maybe they should do a bit more teaching instead "business running." most of the people i've spoken to are falling to pieces and they were (what they told me) top students. they should have like a "cooling off" time, its like when you buy fish you don't just drop them into the water, you need to let the fish adjust then take them out of the bag and then put them in the big water. also very important to clean the tank once in a while

Last edited:

MilkDrinker

HSC
That deformation thing, wasnt that for the question with the ball bouncing off the floor?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
did you have to calculate some deformation or something?

can you just like leave it blank or something?

i can't believe we are 3 or so weeks into uni and they're expecting us to work like machienes. I mean i know uni is meant to be hard and challening (it is tertiary education after all) but maybe they should do a bit more teaching instead "business running." most of the people i've spoken to are falling to pieces and they were (what they told me) top students. they should have like a "cooling off" time, its like when you buy fish you don't just drop them into the water, you need to let the fish adjust then take them out of the bag and then put them in the big water. also very important to clean the tank once in a while
Yep, I've seen James Ruse and Baulkham Hills grads flop to 70s or so in the marks range - kids who got 99 in HSC maths.

Meanwhile me, the guy who only got 82 and 83, survived all that and is now taking an Honours course.

What's the difference between me and them?

I adapted. They didn't.

So adapt.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, I've seen James Ruse and Baulkham Hills grads flop to 70s or so in the marks range - kids who got 99 in HSC maths.

Meanwhile me, the guy who only got 82 and 83, survived all that and is now taking an Honours course.

What's the difference between me and them?

I adapted. They didn't.

So adapt.
i can see that darwin's theory of evolution survival of the fittest thing applies for uni as well :p

congratz on honours - i heard it is pretty hard to get into and to do it as well

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
@ squareroot.

There was an exactly the same question in the hw set 1 lol.

And its not that bad. You just need to use your time wisely at uni.

That being said, he'd answer any other question you have any time.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
@ squareroot.

There was an exactly the same question in the hw set 1 lol.

And its not that bad. You just need to use your time wisely at uni.

I ask Wolfe questions all the time after the lectures, but none of the questions are even related to the syllabus and he still answers (today I asked about whether an AWD system would need different sized brakes or not as a necessity and it took a while to get an answer out :p).

That being said, he'd answer any other question you have any time.
it is the question from homework set one lol. i just submitted and got 46%

lol, I'd have to disagree on the 2nd part, when i talk to Wolfe it like brief 1 min max at best and then he's off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)