Math123 v Econ131 (1 Viewer)

manutd8

HSC
Degree: B Eco/B AppFin

Simply, which of these subjects (if you had to choose ONE) would be more beneficial for me?

HSC
Degree: B Eco/B AppFin

Simply, which of these subjects (if you had to choose ONE) would be more beneficial for me?

Although I never did either of the subjects but from what I read the outline on the main website I think ECON131 is more relevant to your degree.

manutd8

HSC
What level of maths did you complete for the HSC and what band(s) did you get?
general mathematics, hsc mark 88. but i dont mind maths lol. so i kinda enjoy learning it...kinda.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
general mathematics, hsc mark 88. but i dont mind maths lol. so i kinda enjoy learning it...kinda.
Okay, thats fine. The reason i asked is because if you look here under NCCW(s) - which stads for 'Not to Count for Credit With' - which means if you have completed any units/requirements under this section, you undertaking MATH123 would not count those 3 credit points towards your degree, so it would essentialy be a waste of time.

I believe this unit essentially goes through the useful parts of the 2 unit HSC Maths course.

Since you did General Maths, you're fine to do this - and this can count as a 'planet' unit that is outside you're faculty (i believe) - (Remember you need to complete a 'people' and a 'planet' unit, one being outside your faculty one outside your department).

ECON131 on the other hand is "recommended for students who have completed HSC-level mathematics and need to extend their knowledge of mathematical techniques to applications in business, economics and finance". Note that although it says this can be a 'planet' unit - it is within the Department of Economics in the Faculty of Business and Economics - and so you cant claim it as your 'plpanet' unit.

[If you do choose ECON131 and need a planet unit outside your Faculty, STAT170 would be useful]

So there is some info for you, it is up to you to decide.

EDIT: Just checked your Degree Rules and STAT170 is compulsory for you.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
ECON131 man

MATH123 will have stuff you don't need to know to be able to be proficient in the field of economics or finance at undergraduate level

manutd8

HSC
Okay, thats fine. The reason i asked is because if you look here under NCCW(s) - which stads for 'Not to Count for Credit With' - which means if you have completed any units/requirements under this section, you undertaking MATH123 would not count those 3 credit points towards your degree, so it would essentialy be a waste of time.

I believe this unit essentially goes through the useful parts of the 2 unit HSC Maths course.

Since you did General Maths, you're fine to do this - and this can count as a 'planet' unit that is outside you're faculty (i believe) - (Remember you need to complete a 'people' and a 'planet' unit, one being outside your faculty one outside your department).

ECON131 on the other hand is "recommended for students who have completed HSC-level mathematics and need to extend their knowledge of mathematical techniques to applications in business, economics and finance". Note that although it says this can be a 'planet' unit - it is within the Department of Economics in the Faculty of Business and Economics - and so you cant claim it as your 'plpanet' unit.

[If you do choose ECON131 and need a planet unit outside your Faculty, STAT170 would be useful]

So there is some info for you, it is up to you to decide.

EDIT: Just checked your Degree Rules and STAT170 is compulsory for you.
thanks dude appreciate that :)

ECON131 man

MATH123 will have stuff you don't need to know to be able to be proficient in the field of economics or finance at undergraduate level
thanks will :)

econ131 it is. i just hope it gives the knowledge to achieve like D+ marks in the rest of my degree lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)