MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus (1 Viewer)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Re: Several Variable Calculus

Just a brief sketch-out please

I know that f is not continuous at 0 but I'm not sure if that helps since we're talking about partial derivatives here.
If we switch to polar co-ordinates, then the result is:

It is then immediately obvious that the limit does not exist as r tends towards zero.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Just a brief sketch-out please

I know that f is not continuous at 0 but I'm not sure if that helps since we're talking about partial derivatives here.
You can try first computing an expression for ∂f/∂y (using first principles to find the value of this at the origin). Then try computing ∂2f/∂x∂y (i.e. ∂/∂x (∂f/∂y)) at the origin from first principles and show that the limit does not exist.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Oh damn, looks like the brute way is the only way out of that one. Was hoping for a shortcut

I got asked a question but I haven't seen the notation before

What is that isolated nabla supposed to mean?

seanieg89

HSC

Nabla phi I am sure you understand, that is the gradient of phi and is a vector-valued function. Which can be regarded as a triple of functions (f,g,h) from R^3 to R.

Nabla cross (f,g,h) denotes the curl of the vector-valued function (f,g,h).

If you write Nabla as (d/dx,d/dy,d/dz), then Nabla x (f,g,h) is defined the same way as the usual cross product between two 3-d vectors. (Just the first "vector" consists of a triple of differential operators, whilst the second consists of a triple of real-valued functions on R^3. So instead of multiplying real numbers (vector components) together as in the defn of the usual cross product, we are applying differential operators to functions.)

eg first component is dh/dy-dg/dz.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

(The notation Nabla dot (f,g,h) is the divergence of a vector field and is understood in the same way.)

MATH2111

HSC

If you keep cheating you won't learn. Why are marks so important?

leehuan

HSC

Seriously? If I am stuck on a question why can I not ask for help? Accusing me of cheating on an assignment if I genuinely can't do my homework is just low.

leehuan

HSC

So for a continuous mapping f: are the following always true

(I didn't really define the domain and codomain of f so just assume whatever's convenient please)

1) U is closed => f^-1(U) is closed
2) U is open => f^-1(U) is open
3) U is closed => f(U) is closed
4) U is open = f(U) is open

5) U is compact => f(U) is compact
6) U is path-connected => f(U) is path connected

Don't really need proof, just yes/no is sufficient

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

So for a continuous mapping f: are the following always true

(I didn't really define the domain and codomain of f so just assume whatever's convenient please)

1) U is closed => f^-1(U) is closed
2) U is open => f^-1(U) is open
3) U is closed => f(U) is closed
4) U is open = f(U) is open

5) U is compact => f(U) is compact
6) U is path-connected => f(U) is path connected

Don't really need proof, just yes/no is sufficient
1) True
2) True
3) False
4) False
5) True
6) True

leehuan

HSC

There was a question in my test that I could not do and I'm seeking a solution please

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

There was a question in my test that I could not do and I'm seeking a solution please

Yeah it is a boundary point. Here's some hints of a possible method. Note that S is just the graph of y = f(x) := sin(1/x) (x =/= 0). Use (or show) the fact that f attains the value 1 for arbitrarily small values of x > 0 to deduce that (0, 1) is a boundary point of S (noting that any ball around (0, 1) contains points not in S also, as there will be points in it with y-value greater than 1).

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Even with the diagram in front of me I still struggle to figure out my boundaries of integration.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

I think spherical is preferred here (could be mistaken). But using the best approach, how would you determine the limits for this

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I think spherical is preferred here (could be mistaken). But using the best approach, how would you determine the limits for this

Inspection would be the best way to determine the limits probably (you can draw a diagram to help if you decide to use inspection).

leehuan

HSC

Inspection would be the best way to determine the limits probably (you can draw a diagram to help if you decide to use inspection).
I was able to deduce that

It's always rho that gets me.

Unless I picked the order of integration wrong.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I was able to deduce that

It's always rho that gets me.

Unless I picked the order of integration wrong.
It might be easier to use cylindrical coordinates. The way rho varies is different depending on what range phi is in. When phi is such that your point in the region lies within the "ice cream cone" part of the region, then rho will vary from 0 to a. For phi larger than the angle make by the cone to the vertical, rho will vary from 0 to the value of rho at the point on the sphere x^2 + y^2 + (z-a)^2 = a^2 with this phi value. You can find these using the relations between Cartesian and Spherical Coordinates.

leehuan

HSC

I might be misinterpreting the question but I thought that they're basically asking for 1/4 * area of curve of intersection, which happens to be an ellipse through (0,0,8) passing through (0,8,4) and (8,0,4).

If I'm right, how do I use surface integrals to get to the answer of ? And if I'm wrong, how do I get back on the right path?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)