MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Re: Several Variable Calculus

To be honest, all I could really write out was the definition you provided. I realised I had to work with

I'm not sure what should delete to deduce my N.

leehuan

HSC

Required: The Fourier series Sf(x).

Hints: I found that f'(0) = f'(1) = 0 and f'''(x) = 24

Have I made a mistake? If not then how do I reunite the solutions (by somehow binning -1, cos(2pi x), cos(4pi x), ...?)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Required: The Fourier series Sf(x).

Hints: I found that f'(0) = f'(1) = 0 and f'''(x) = 24

Have I made a mistake? If not then how do I reunite the solutions (by somehow binning -1, cos(2pi x), cos(4pi x), ...?)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Hmm, not sure if I'm missing something but I think there's an x-cubed there. I don't think the original function is even?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?t=crmtb01&f=ob&i=integrate+1/2(1-6x^2+4x^3)+from+-1+to+1

Although when I split up the x^3 and the 1-6x^2 the latter is even.
The function has been defined on [0, 1] by that formula, and then we are told f(-x) = f(x) for all x and f(x) = f(x+2) for all x, so this means the function is an even periodic function with period 2, and on [0, 1] it looks like 1 - 6x^2 + 4x^3.

In other words, its graph is as follows: sketch 1 - 6x^2 + 4x^3 on [0, 1], then reflect this section about the y-axis so it's even on [-1, 1], and finally imagine "stamping" this picture on [-1, 1] across the whole graph with spacing 2, so it becomes a repeating picture with period 2.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

In other words, take this graph ( http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=graph+(1-6|x|^2+4|x|^3)+from+-1+to+1 ) and imagine repeating that same picture on [1, 3], and [3, 5] and [5, 7] and ..., and also on the negative side (so on [-3, -1], [-5, -3], ...). So it becomes a periodic even function with period 2, and looks like a sort of wave, and each cycle of the graph looks like the graph in the link.

leehuan

HSC

Oh my bad, I see now. That was foolish of me.

leehuan

HSC

How would I show that this series does not converge uniformly? I don't think I can use the Weierstrass M-test for divergence

Exists eps > 0, such that for all N > 0, |S_n(x) - S(x)| < eps then what?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

How would I show that this series does not converge uniformly? I don't think I can use the Weierstrass M-test for divergence

Exists eps > 0, such that for all N > 0, |S_n(x) - S(x)| < eps then what?
Do you know where this series comes from? If so, you can use that to help prove it.

leehuan

HSC

Do you know where this series comes from? If so, you can use that to help prove it.
Yep

If we ensure that f(x + 2pi) = f(x) I can visually see why it fails to work, but I still can't figure out where to get started

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Yep

If we ensure that f(x + 2pi) = f(x) I can visually see why it fails to work, but I still can't figure out where to get started
Correct! This is the Fourier series of a discontinuous function (a square wave) on [-pi, pi) say. What do you know about Fourier series of functions with jump discontinuities? (If you haven't seen it before, you may want to read about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_phenomenon .)

Also recall that if a sequence of continuous functions (like partial sums of a Fourier series) converges to a discontinuous function, the convergence cannot be uniform.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Ohhhhhhh I see now, completely forgot about that!

leehuan

HSC

I don't want this question done just yet, I just want to know why the hint works

I only partially get it. Why does this choice of P and Q ensure that we cover all types of planar regions?

seanieg89

HSC

I don't want this question done just yet, I just want to know why the hint works

I only partially get it. Why does this choice of P and Q ensure that we cover all types of planar regions?

Are you sure you are writing the question correctly? Is there an established convention in your book/notes for what "planar region" means?

My guess is that it means things like the regions bounded between two lines x=a,b and g(x) < y < h(x).

Otherwise your notion of planar region has to be nice enough for "area" to make sense, so more information is required about this niceness.

leehuan

HSC

Are you sure you are writing the question correctly? Is there an established convention in your book/notes for what "planar region" means?

My guess is that it means things like the regions bounded between two lines x=a,b and g(x) < y < h(x).

Otherwise your notion of planar region has to be nice enough for "area" to make sense, so more information is required about this niceness.

Couldn't find anything else though

Not sure at all if this helps:

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Well, what kind of regions was Green's theorem stated/proved for? For any domain A that is nice enough that Greens theorem works, you will get that the RHS boundary integral is equal to the integral of the indicator function 1_A of A. This can be taken as the definition of area for sets A such that 1_A is integrable.

(I presume you are working with the Riemann/Darboux integeral at this stage, so such sets A are said to be Jordan measurable.)

If the set isn't nice enough though it is impossible to assign a meaning to either the LHS or RHS, so the result as stated will only apply to sufficiently nice planar regions such that these things work out.

leehuan

HSC

For our version, P and Q (as used above) have to be C1 on

That was really the only condition given.

seanieg89

HSC

For our version, P and Q (as used above) have to be C1 on

That was really the only condition given.
What book/notes are these? Anyway, yeah as I said, you need some kind of niceness condition on the domain for these things to be well-defined. You should be able to see what this condition is by going through the proof of Green's theorem, unless it is presented pretty sloppily/nonrigorously.

I don't know what you mean by "why this choice of P and Q covers all planar domains". P and Q have nothing to do with the domain, they are just C^1 functions. The class of domains for which the stated result holds is just the class of domains for which the version of Green's theorem you are using is valid and for which area makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)