mathemagic computer tutor LOL (1 Viewer)

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
If you think "Institute of Mathematics" is dodgy consider "Subway" is a trademark of "Doctor's Associates".

I used to work for those scumbags. Dirty.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Jumbo Cactuar said:
If you think "Institute of Mathematics" is dodgy consider "Subway" is a trademark of "Doctor's Associates".

I used to work for those scumbags. Dirty.
wtf??? who r u calling dirty subway or the institute, bcoz uve stirred shit up wiv a man who lost 32 kgs on theirs diets wanker

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
4000? wat a rought!
not really....

if you get tutoring for 1 year, say... $50 an hour for 1 hour a week, that is about $2500/year.

with this software you get a phone tutor and software to help you 24/7. I think that is ok value.

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
So has anybody actually tried it out? Is it really shit or what?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Nah, it doesnt do 3u/4u maths..stops at 2u.
And as jm said, 3u+ cant be taught by a computer.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
People in Sydney are so obsessed with tutoring for their kids.... at my school you only did tutoring if you weren't going well in a subject, here people do it even when they are top of the class sometimes! it's crazy!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
People in Sydney are so obsessed with tutoring for their kids.... at my school you only did tutoring if you weren't going well in a subject, here people do it even when they are top of the class sometimes! it's crazy!
yeah, its true. Kinda happens a little in wollongong too

But you must remember the competition that occurs in the top sydney school, how would you feel if you were ranked 40 out of 200 and the people ranked about you are getting tutoring.

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
If mathamagic could do such a good job, then there would be no need for maths teachers. But i think i would rather be taught be a teacher than some gay program.

Libbster

HSC
When I went to the NSW All-Schools Athletics carnival, there were signs up everywhere for it and every five seconds, there was announcement about "Mathemagic Computer Tutor" from the "Institute of Mathematics" I was like :chainsaw:

Plus, I got a free trial CD and it was so shit! It was for primary school kids and I mean hel-lo this is a high school carnival that invloves high school people.

Also I was reading CHOICE magazine recently and on the back it showed an advertisement for the tutor. It said something like "If a balloon is 500m up in the air and a bird is 200m up in the air, what is the distance between the two objects?"

Then it had a picture of the tutor 'solving' the problem by ADDING the two distances! Freakin' dumbass computer program lol

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
INXS said:
If mathamagic could do such a good job, then there would be no need for maths teachers. But i think i would rather be taught be a teacher than some gay program.
Exactly right - nothing would beat a tutor.

But as i said before , if your a parent on a low/middle income earner, with say, 4 kids - early high school level - struggling at maths, a 3500 investment is reasonable....and this is their target market.

My friend who goes to the customer's homes to install the mathemagic program says that thats the sort of consumer who would purchase it.

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
Yeah, although i wouldn't mind to have a demo/trial of mathamagic. Just to get a feel of what it is like. Who is going to blindly spend $$$ on a random program, that might be really shit.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Nah, they come to your house, do a full demo....

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
Grizzly said:
Nah, they come to your house, do a full demo....
Yeah and if you get a demo, i bet they will expect you to purchase it. Otherwise they will harass you until you do.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
i hate to admit it,
but on the radio ads, the very first man to speak (not the one opinions from students/parents) is my yr12 maths teacher...he's an ace teacher...dunno why he's promoting such a software...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
Ummm.. I don't care what the program is; $3500 for computer software is a freaking rip off! I don't mean necessarily that $3500 is a lot of money.. (It is, but anyway), what I’m trying to say, is that it just doesn't add up? Its like charging $5000 for a bottle of coca-cola?

Not even beautiful high end software packages cost that much, and I HIGHLY doubt that this cheap computer-tutor thing could compete with such software. If this software costs more than say $500 at most, then it's bull shite.
I didnt say it was cheap, nor do i like the ads.

It is obvious that it is more economical for some family's to invest 3500 in a program that will tutor their 4 kids for several years.

Or would these families prefer to pay ~$40 p/hr one-on-one tution for each and every child ?

Think about who their target market is - and accept that they are making a MINT so they are able to advertise 24/7 radio/TV.

MathsPowerMum

HSC
N/A
MATHSPOWER vs AIM Using Mathemagic Name

Re C omputer Based Mathematics Tutoring Software.

I have been reading comments in this forum with interest regarding 'Mathemagic' Computer Tutor used by Australian Institute of Mathematics-AIM, (Truth about the origin of this name suject of LITIGATION) See this website

http://www.mathemagic.com.au

then

http://www.mathspower.com.au

Comments on your forum that the Institute advertisements on 2GB drive students crazy, the lessons are not based on NSW curriculum outcomes , and that the South African voices are irritating, and that the cost is outrageous, a rip off, and exploitation on a large scale of parents from low-middle income bracket who can least afford it.

I work in a University and am arguably very discriminating when it comes to choosing educational software for my 11 year old daughter. We chose MATHSPOWER, a brilliant maths software program (Primary-Year 12) As seen on A CURRENT AFFAIR on a number of occasions. The owners are a husband & wife Anthony & Felicity Tannous, and 2 other partners, all Teachers I am told.

The Cost for 2 years is $399 ONLY !!! Never pay thousands for such sofware, those that do are without doubt being exploited BIGTIME!!

Mathspower -Back to the Future Education are currently in a Legal battle with The Australian Institute of Mathematics , over the name MATHEMAGIC which was registered initially by the MAthspower group. You can read all about it on the website link above.

All I know is that the MATHSPOWER program is exceptionally good. They have tutors on the phone to help students who get stuck, the lessons are all taught by Male & Female teachers whose voices are easy to understand, friendly & obviously Australian. The graphics are great, easy to use/load/feedback/ and best of all IT WORKS . My daughter has improved dramatically since using MATHSPOWER over the past 18 months.

So to all students on this forum considering coaching... Please !! Don't work for door to door sales companies that exploit parents who can least afford this type of entrapment & intimidation. You would only regret it later on when/if you become parents yourselves.

MathsPowerMum

Remember- What Goes Around, Comes Around- Karma!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)