mathemagic computer tutor LOL (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
laurasia said:
absolutely rubbish!!!
I concur, let me elaborate.
From the time we installed the Computer Tutor to now, I rate the whole thing as appalling.

Next time you see a Sales Representative from the Australian Institute of Mathematics, ignore them immediately and do not allow a consultation or home presentation.

They also devised something which I can consider marketing tricks or most blatantly a scam, let me elaborate.
They give every children in your household a short test on Mathematics one grade below them. e.g. If you are in Year 10 they give you a 'Year 9' test, if you are in Year 2 they give you a 'Year 1' test.

The trigonometry at their so-called 'Year 9 level' test seem trivial or something you have never seen.
You will also notice why the little ones are doing better than the older ones.

Then the representative and your parents find out you achieved a horrible mark and this further convinces your parents to shell out hundreds and likely even thousands to bring your Mathematics up to standard (when in fact you may be competent enough anyway).
It will be useless after 2 or 3 years hey, where as your little sister will have about 7 or 8 years.
They're going to make more profits out of the older ones yes?

The phone tutor service varies randomly, one day you could get a tutor who is really brilliant and is capable of helping you with every single question you throw at them, the next day you may get a tutor who can't even integrate a lograithmic expression.

Furthermore the software is quite inferior, the tutoring algorithm is mediocre and I sometimes I wish I used Maple 11 to solve complicated integrals or other hard questions for me (although it wasn't made to tutor but used by students and professionals) and consulted my teacher, proper tutors or other Mathematicians for help.

LOL they haven't got a positive review anywhere to show to the media.

In short,
laurasia's quote pretty much explains how good the Mathemagic Computer Tutor is.
Do NOT purchase their software and avoid being convinced by them if you cannot afford to part with hard earned cash.
(I could pay off one year's worth of HECS fees with their unreasonably phenomenal prices)

munchiecrunchie

HSC
they came to my place and tested me.

when i looked at the paper again, i saw that they had marked questions that were correct wrong.

some marketing technique.

autumn-angel

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
they came to my place and tested me.

when i looked at the paper again, i saw that they had marked questions that were correct wrong.

some marketing technique.
so true...
In short, mathemagic is the crappiest tutoring program

bawd

HSC
Fortify said:
lol they came to my house and tested me and and my sister..then my parents disagreed..lol they are quite annoying
Man...

I think I signed up for the demo 2 months ago when I was struggling with Maths. They called me about a week ago (which is wayyy too late) and some high pitched woman was trying to convince me to let them do the demo. I said no because I already signed up for another computer tutoring thing (which was much cheaper + very good) and she wouldn't shut up about it.

There was another company where I signed up for their demo. They also called back really late and when I said I didn't need it, the operator got all conceited and the conversation went something like:

Op: Are you doing well in English?
Me: Yes.
Op: What about Mathematics?
Me: Yes
Op: Sciences?
Me: I don't do any sciences.
Op: How about your other subjects, do you need tutoring for those?
Me: No.
Op: Oh, so you're getting straight A's are you? (In a really mocking, condescending tone)
Me: (Hangs up)

*facepalm*

5233andy

HSC
Based on the comments about the program, I'm under the impression that the 'Institute of Mathematics' is similar to that of the Australian Medical Institute (AMI) - the 'institute' that runs those bloody annoying Heart Check clinics where Today Tonight considered it to be a scam and the nasal delivery technology - for premature ejaculation - the highly offensive billboards with 'SEX' written in bold.

No wonder the people manning the stalls were so reluctant with telling me the price of the program, it's close to $9000 for nonsense. :spam:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
LOL I don't believe maths and computers should mix.

I find that's its stupid doing math equations on a computer.... let alone getting a computer to teach you maths. How can a computer teach me calculus properly... I will never know.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
lol my parents actually bought me this for $5995 ages ago, but i havnt used it for almost 2 years...
o well, at least i helped out our economy, by generating profits for the company, they pay tax to the government and then they use that money to increase infrastructure and enhance health and the education systems, etc. :D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
electrolysis said:
lol my parents actually bought me this for $5995 ages ago, but i havnt used it for almost 2 years...
o well, at least i helped out our economy, by generating profits for the company, they pay tax to the government and then they use that money to increase infrastructure and enhance health and the education systems, etc. :D
Can't you get a refund, or sell it back to someone else?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
the-derivative said:
Can't you get a refund, or sell it back to someone else?
i suppose i could sell it to someone else but i got a 5 year old brother that might use it soon, i hope lol

APCSfan

HSC
Its bs, mang!@

i did this like when i was in yr7 or someshit.
parents thought it would be useful

did some algebra... iono.. question was like :7x - 6x= ?
and i put 'x'.

it was wrong.
the answer was '1x'

and then im like fuck this.
so yeh... gay.:mad1:

h3da

HSC
Its now owned by maths worldwide...I'm working for them lol :D

Uncle

Banned
HSC
LOL I don't believe maths and computers should mix.

I find that's its stupid doing math equations on a computer.... let alone getting a computer to teach you maths. How can a computer teach me calculus properly... I will never know.
As for a computer teaching you maths I agree with that but thinking about performing equations on a computer is stupid are you a fool?
Have you not known about Maple, MATLAB or other mathematical computing?
Computer software can solve more complicated integrals faster than a human brain.

Can you solve for x, y and z from:

-y + z = - 4
x - 2y + z = - 6
7x2 - 2xz - y2 - 5yz - 2z2 - 3z = 6

in 5 seconds?

Can you evaluate this expression:

[maths]\sum_{k=510}^{530}\binom{1000}{k}\left ( \frac{1}{2} \right )^{k}\left ( \frac{1}{2} \right )^{1000-k}[/maths]

in 2 seconds?

Don't think so fool.

Based on the comments about the program, I'm under the impression that the 'Institute of Mathematics' is similar to that of the Australian Medical Institute (AMI) - the 'institute' that runs those bloody annoying Heart Check clinics where Today Tonight considered it to be a scam and the nasal delivery technology - for premature ejaculation - the highly offensive billboards with 'SEX' written in bold.

No wonder the people manning the stalls were so reluctant with telling me the price of the program, it's close to $9000 for nonsense. :spam:
yes yes it is a fuckwit of a program.

Its bs, mang!@

i did this like when i was in yr7 or someshit.
parents thought it would be useful

did some algebra... iono.. question was like :7x - 6x= ?
and i put 'x'.

it was wrong.
the answer was '1x'

and then im like fuck this.
so yeh... gay.:mad1:
that is the shit you get from these guys

stevey6404

HSC
I actually have that program on my computer since like..2 years ago?
I used it for like, maybe few months, but after a while, you tend to forget about it because it's on the computer, you know other distractions.

English is useless as any other tutoring college because it doesn't really relate to school stuff such as studying a novel, film etc.

Maths is okay I guess, it's useful enough and you can go over stuff again and again and everytime the computer will give you a different set of questions. Off the top of my head since I haven't opened the program for ages, I think the Maths only goes up to 3 unit. So yeahh.

Overall it's alright but unless you're being forced to do it, you won't after a while.

Magnesium

HSC
I did this a few years ago, when they came to my house...

I think I was in year 9.

The gave me a year 8 test and my brother a year 4 test.
They had the questions, and then a column with like.. confidence. So if you were confident about the question you are doing, you tick "confident" or something along those lines

I think I got mine all right in the end, but I would tick "Not so sure" because some stuff was vague..
In the end i think my brother did ok as well

They told my parents that i may not be confident about the stuff, so I get the software to solidify and strengthen my knowledge.
For my brother... One of the answers to the question was 400cm
My brother wrote 4m

it got marked wrong.

therefore we concluded that it was all bs.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
lol they came to my house and tested me and and my sister..then my parents disagreed..lol they are quite annoying
dont let their filthy gingivitis ridden fangs sink into your wallets.

I did this a few years ago, when they came to my house...

I think I was in year 9.

The gave me a year 8 test and my brother a year 4 test.
They had the questions, and then a column with like.. confidence. So if you were confident about the question you are doing, you tick "confident" or something along those lines

I think I got mine all right in the end, but I would tick "Not so sure" because some stuff was vague..
In the end i think my brother did ok as well

They told my parents that i may not be confident about the stuff, so I get the software to solidify and strengthen my knowledge.
For my brother... One of the answers to the question was 400cm
My brother wrote 4m

it got marked wrong.

therefore we concluded that it was all bs.
This is the exact same tactic they use throughout all nuclear families.
Give the little one an easier test, probably in Year 3 and give a nonsense test to a Year 9 kid.
By "showing" the parents the Year 9 child apparently isn't up to standards compared to the Year 3 child, the Year 9 child will benefit for a shorter time from the program when the parents sign up for the dreaded program and AIM benefits from the greater profits.

Mathemagic Computer Tutor is a fucking dud.

Full package for the mathemagic computer tutor: $5995

better spent on tertiary education and maybe high school education.

Full student package for MATLAB: $2,813.00
MAPLE Engineering Student Bundle: $238.85
university textbooks over whole degree: almost $2000
(roughly $200 on average over 8 semesters)

textbooks and mathematical computing programs used in engineering total around half the price of the computer tutor program and Maple & MATLAB are over 9000 times more powerful and useful (literally).

oh and UNSW has computers with Maple and MATLAB, and you probably would have sold half your textbooks.
that takes your expenditure on maths in engineering to around $1500!

In Short:
Do NOT purchase the mathemagic computer tutor program.

keywords:

aim australian institute of mathematics mathemagic computer tutor shithouse fuck useless worthless scam ripoff expensive

Last edited:
HSC
dont let their filthy gingivitis ridden fangs sink into your wallets.

This is the exact same tactic they use throughout all nuclear families.
Give the little one an easier test, probably in Year 3 and give a nonsense test to a Year 9 kid.
By "showing" the parents the Year 9 child apparently isn't up to standards compared to the Year 3 child, the Year 9 child will benefit for a shorter time from the program when the parents sign up for the dreaded program and AIM benefits from the greater profits.

Full package for the mathemagic computer tutor: $5995

better spent on tertiary education and maybe high school education.

Full student package for MATLAB: $2,813.00
MAPLE Engineering Student Bundle: $238.85
university textbooks per semester: almost $2000
(roughly $200 on average over 8 semesters)

textbooks and mathematical computing programs used in engineering total around half the price of the computer tutor program and Maple & MATLAB are over 9000 times more powerful and useful (literally).

oh and UNSW has computers with Maple and MATLAB, and you probably would have sold half your textbooks.
that takes your expenditure on maths in engineering to around $1500!

In Short:
Do NOT purchase the mathemagic computer tutor program.

keywords:

aim australian institute of mathematics mathemagic computer tutor shithouse fuck useless worthless scam ripoff expensive
rofl lmao

Agreed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)