Mathematics Extension 1 Exam Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Arrowshaft

HSC
how are you guys going with projectile motion? i can do some but it's often a hit or miss (some of the hard i dont get as i dont see the manipulation to get the result). any tips on improving? thnks
Projectiles is just a lot of manipulation, once you start doing lots of q’s everything starts clicking and you can sorta see ahead to what a difficult question wants you to churn out. I’d suggest looking through Cambridge for tough problems or attempting 2008 projectile q7 slowly to consolidate your knowledge. Also try the 2000 mx1 projectile q, only 2 students in the entire state saw how to do the very last part. If you can do those or even understand the solutions, nothing the hsc throws at you can stop you! Good luck :)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
2012 was easiest paper by far, excluding 2017 imo
Agreed completely. 2014 was quite an easy year as well. 2013 and 2018 are the hardest after the split in multiple choice on the other hand. I'm thinking we will get an easier paper this year, but who knows.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Agreed completely. 2014 was quite an easy year as well. 2013 and 2018 are the hardest after the split in multiple choice on the other hand. I'm thinking we will get an easier paper this year, but who knows.
yea esp the spinner question. That limiting sum wasn’t even difficult lol, honestly felt like a 2 unit question. As for 2013, the dynamic was weird, I felt the binomial definitely should’ve been last and the log/newton’s method q should’ve been before, maybe even 13.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
yea esp the spinner question. That limiting sum wasn’t even difficult lol, honestly felt like a 2 unit question. As for 2013, the dynamic was weird, I felt the binomial definitely should’ve been last and the log/newton’s method q should’ve been before, maybe even 13.
Yeah I don't even remember if the paper as a whole was difficult, I just associate 2013 with that binomial question which isn't horrible but is a lot harder than what you normally see im 3u these days lol

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Projectiles is just a lot of manipulation, once you start doing lots of q’s everything starts clicking and you can sorta see ahead to what a difficult question wants you to churn out. I’d suggest looking through Cambridge for tough problems or attempting 2008 projectile q7 slowly to consolidate your knowledge. Also try the 2000 mx1 projectile q, only 2 students in the entire state saw how to do the very last part. If you can do those or even understand the solutions, nothing the hsc throws at you can stop you! Good luck :)
Wait really only 2 people got the projectile q in the ex1 hsc? Imo the question before the projectile one was harder

Arrowshaft

HSC
By the way these are my predictions for the ext exam. I'm predicting one of those SHM tide questions (like Heresy said) and a projectile motion final question with a bit of geometry. I'm hoping it'll just be a stock standard paper. I had too much fun with the LaTeX as you can tell haha 😂. I borrowed questions from the HSC and textbooks because I couldn't be bothered to make them myself, I'm too lazy

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: fet

Arrowshaft

HSC
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.30.28 pm.png
This is for that 2000 projectile motion question. I mistook only 2 students finding an elegant solution to be only 2 students solving it in the state, whoops my bad

llatz_

HSC
By the way these are my predictions for the ext exam. I'm predicting one of those SHM tide questions (like Heresy said) and a projectile motion final question with a bit of geometry. I'm hoping it'll just be a stock standard paper. I had too much fun with the LaTeX as you can tell haha 😂. I borrowed questions from the HSC and textbooks because I couldn't be bothered to make them myself, I'm too lazy
Solutions ?? hahahah

Arrowshaft

HSC
Here are my handwritten solutions. Kinda rushed these and i think I couldn’t be bothered with induction since it was pree easy. Lemme know if there’s any issues

Arrowshaft

HSC
LaTeX solutions, until q12 something. I didn't finish coding it, sorry, bit busy with HSC. EDIT: my dumbass also in a haste messed up q2 mcq, the answer should be 2/a I think from memory

Attachments

llatz_

HSC
I’ll check my notes to double check. I have digital solutions I coded until 12 something but I’ll confirm tonight
thanks! btw what makes you predict the paper you have put together, just wondering ?

Arrowshaft

HSC
thanks! btw what makes you predict the paper you have put together, just wondering ?
well, projectile hasn't been a final question in a long time and geometry seems to be their thing right now. They also like combinatorics in question 14. Induction - that’s obvious, but yeah. The rest of the paper is fairly stock standard, I did make some bits of it a bit more difficult than a normal paper, because I'm assuming its gonna be slightly harder than usual.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
inb4 this is actually the real paper... lol

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Also why are questions from 4u appearing in that paper :eek:

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also why are questions from 4u appearing in that paper :eek:
I felt like it. Jk, the style they were going recent years with q14 seemed kinda 4u like, so I kinda “accentuated” that effect. 😂😱

StudyOnly

HSC
Arrowshaft, I think you made an error for MC Q2 in both solutions. I reckon it should be 2/a.

Will provide solution if needed/correct.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)