Mathematics Extension 1 Exam Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

StudyOnly

HSC
Also again for MC Q8 shouldn't the answer be 144? Because 1 x 1 x 4! x 3!, not your solution of 2 x 4! x 3!.
This is because it is a circular table so you have to place one individual down and set them there hence the 1 x 1 instead of 2?
However, Permutations and Combinations aren't my best topic so I might be wrong.

Time&moretime

HSC
Hello, this question is unrelated in this thread but I'm unable to find the appropriate thread for this question, does anyone know what the Maths
IIT JEE Main & Advanced paper is about ? Thank you for reading my question.

StudyOnly

HSC
Hello, this question is unrelated in this thread but I'm unable to find the appropriate thread for this question, does anyone know what the Maths
Isn't IIT JEE the university entrance exam in India? Probably not much use for the HSC course lol.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Why do you want to know about this? It is an Entrance Exam used to obtain admission into universities in India known as the IIT's. There's two papers main and advanced and they compromise of Maths, Chemistry and Physics as far as I'm aware of.

Time&moretime

HSC
Why do you want to know about this? It is an Entrance Exam used to obtain admission into universities in India known as the IIT's. There's two papers main and advanced and they compromise of Maths, Chemistry and Physics as far as I'm aware of.
I was looking at their papers on the web & found them challenging. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this and was merely curious. Thank you for replying.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I was looking at their papers on the web & found them challenging. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this and was merely curious. Thank you for replying.
Can't comment on Math or Chem but I've done their Physics ones. Not that conceptually difficult and I say this because the exam relies heavily on memory recall. There's no emphasis on setting up a proof or whatever, it's just arriving at the right answer using a set method. The challenge is doing it very quickly because you hardly get any time, but even that I guess you can train yourself to do after months of practice, which most of them do. I don't think it's an appropriate way to test someones understanding of Physics. I would much rather have entrance exams in the style of the Physics Olympiad.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Arrowshaft, I think you made an error for MC Q2 in both solutions. I reckon it should be 2/a.

Will provide solution if needed/correct.
Yeah I know, I addressed it in a previous post; yes, the answer is 2/a, I rushed the paper’s solutions however and made a silly. There should still be a 2/a answer on the MCQ however unless I messed up.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also again for MC Q8 shouldn't the answer be 144? Because 1 x 1 x 4! x 3!, not your solution of 2 x 4! x 3!.
This is because it is a circular table so you have to place one individual down and set them there hence the 1 x 1 instead of 2?
However, Permutations and Combinations aren't my best topic so I might be wrong.
The sides can switch though

Arrowshaft

HSC
But but but, you have to place one guy down right because it is a circle table hence (n-1)! ? I am confused....
That’s right, but you have 2 sides facing each other Separated by a buffer, you can switch those two sides 2! ways

StudyOnly

HSC
That’s right, but you have 2 sides facing each other Separated by a buffer, you can switch those two sides 2! ways
hmmmmm ok then, I need to revise perms and combs before the exam

Arrowshaft

HSC
hmmmmm ok then, I need to revise perms and combs before the exam
Think of it this way: we can seat the teachers together in 3! ways and then seat the parents next to the parents in 2! ways. Then we finally seat the students in 4! ways. That’s 4! x 2! x 3! ways which is 288

StudyOnly

HSC
Think of it this way: we can seat the teachers together in 3! ways and then seat the parents next to the parents in 2! ways. Then we finally seat the students in 4! ways. That’s 4! x 2! x 3! ways which is 288
Ye, I understand what you mean but I thought we had to place the 1 parent down first

Arrowshaft

HSC
Ye, I understand what you mean but I thought we had to place the 1 parent down first
You’re choosing which parent to place down however. In your case you already assigned which parent is seated first; in reality there’s 2 ways they can be assigned

StudyOnly

HSC
You’re choosing which parent to place down however. In your case you already assigned which parent is seated first; in reality there’s 2 ways they can be assigned
Yes it makes sense, that was my thought process before thinking about it the other way.
Thanks for the clarification though!

Arrowshaft

HSC
all good, don’t worry if you found it difficult, it was actually the final mcq of the 2018 CSSA 4U trial o_O

StudyOnly

HSC
Nice paper though, some of those questions seem like they could come up. If our last question is a tide question I will actually have a decent chance of getting it lol

akkjen

HSC
N/A
so there has always been a projectile motion question every year (i think), maybe nesa won't put one this year to troll us?

Heresy

HSC
so there has always been a projectile motion question every year (i think), maybe nesa won't put one this year to troll us?
Wishful thinking, but it's highly unlikely. NESA most likely does that because the state usually performs quite poorly in Projectile Questions (or at least the later parts of the problems).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)