Mathematics Extension 1 Exam Thoughts (2 Viewers)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't really need to measure any slopes. The reason I thought it was (A) was that f''(1) looked like 0 (inflexion), so f''(1) had to be smallest. (This narrows it down to between (A) and (B).) Assuming this then, it is also clear that f"(x) >= 0 for 0 < x < 1. So the slope at the right endpoint of the interval [0,1], namely f'(1), must be greater than the slope of the secant line joining the points on the graph at the endpoints (this is visually clear, and also follows from the Mean Value Theorem, which iirc was proved in this year's 3U BOS Trial). But the slope of this secant line is just (f(1) - 0)/(1 - 0) = f(1), and the only option between (A) and (B) that has f'(1) > f(1) is (A). So the answer is (A).

I don't think we can actually just deduce from that graph that it is necessarily the case that f'(1) > 1 (unless they meant for you to interpret it as to scale and measure it, which is not usually what HSC 3U/4U does). The Q. should have said which is a possible correct answer (only (A) is).
To be fair it was not really a proof. It was moreso demonstrating how MVT follows from Rolle's, but the majority of the proof was circumvented by assuming Rolle's.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
To be fair it was not really a proof. It was moreso demonstrating how MVT follows from Rolle's, but the majority of the proof was circumvented by assuming Rolle's.
Ah right, I don't recall the specifics of the question, I just skimmed through the paper and remember seeing something that looked like Mean Value Theorem in it.

the_matrix

HSC
I found this harder than CSSA trials wot
Probs bc I was so focused on IPT (the day before 3u) I didn't have much time to prepare for 3u :'(

kashkow

HSC
True, the projectile question wasn't as bad as usual, so I think I managed to get it. But other than that there were a tonne of questions that threw me off and I kept thinking that the questions don't look too hard, but when I started doing them I just kind of died

:(
This was me as well!!! In reading time I was thinking these questions aren't so bad and thought the paper would be easy. Then when I did them they became a lot harder... Like the question about proving the curves are perpendicular? It threw me off so that I started solving simultaenous equations to find what x equals only to realise the next question was to find what x=a was using NM... Think I had to skip the second part because I took too long on the first part - so I probably lost 4-5 marks there. :((

lol spent a whole five minutes on the part asking how high up the wall it was, because I kept subbing in 30cos30° instead of 30sin30°
haha I did the same then realised when I went back to it. Crossed out all the cos and made them SIN and made a note saying "Change all cos to sin". lol

hdmandude

HSC
Do they even care if you didn't write "Join C to D" for the circle geo Q?? Very trivial, I know hehe, but you reckon they'll deduct a mark?

hscc

HSC
N/A
Will there be a penalty for not drawing the diagram for circle geo? I genuinely did not see that instruction.

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
Will there be a penalty for not drawing the diagram for circle geo? I genuinely did not see that instruction.
You wont lose shit, there were no marks allocated to copying diagram. You'll just get an angry marker who will shrekt you if your proofs seem dodgy xd

integral95

HSC
*looks at this paper*

*Compares to my paper (2013)*

You lucky kids

integral95

HSC
tfw i'll probably get lower in this paper than the practice 2013 i did :<
Well to be fair, the exam pressure would definitely cause silly mistakes, but there weren't many "different" questions that people haven't seen before, and not to mention it doesn't have permutations and combinations.

trecex1

HSC
I would rather 2013/2014 HSC MXI than 2016. Nothing made sense to me in 2016.
ya in retrospect this year's questions were easy, the feeling of losing marks only on careless mistakes is painful, I think it was to do with getting caught off guard with how straightforward appeared at first glance and not paying attention to the details.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
ya in retrospect this year's questions were easy, the feeling of losing marks only on careless mistakes is painful, I think it was to do with getting caught off guard with how straightforward appeared at first glance and not paying attention to the details.
Yeah unfortunately I lost marks because I just couldn't see things and I had time constraints.

You can tell me how easy people think 2016 was, but the fact that I did 2013 - 2015 pretty decently (timed and in examination conditions) is unfortunately the better situation I had in comparison to the actual exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)