Mathematics Extension 1 Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
True, the projectile question wasn't as bad as usual, so I think I managed to get it. But other than that there were a tonne of questions that threw me off and I kept thinking that the questions don't look too hard, but when I started doing them I just kind of died

:(
Ah OK (thought your comment was meant as a reference to the projectiles Q.).

Goatlicious

HSC
I felt like, apart from the harder questions, the exam was easy. But the harder questions... oh my god.

calamebe

HSC
Ah OK (thought your comment was meant as a reference to the projectiles Q.).
BOSTES should totally do that for a projectile question one year. "Tim throws a knife from ground level at John, who is 1.8 metres tall and is standing on a chair 1 meter high, 10 metres away. If Tim throws the knife at 45 degrees to the horizontal, and he wants to hit John's head, which is 30 centimetres high, what is the range of velocities which are possible for this to happen".

I mean they did a bomb question a month after 9/11, so surely nothing is out of the question right?

photastic

HSC
I thought it was overall pretty easy. But I ran out of time since I kept on messing up on one of the questions.

E4 prediction?
78-80.

Again like I said with the 2U exam, there weren't any "I've never seen this before" questions and where if you did past hsc exams like 2004 where that tide question was harder with this years, this exam did not seem to abuse the difficulty. I honestly thought the introduction of the reference sheet would make things harder but doesn't to be for this year. Overall I still stand that they're dimming the difficulty of the exams after the introduction to the MC format. What questions did you guys have trouble with? :)

Last edited:

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I'm surprised by this reaction...i found it relatively ease and im not even top gun
What would a 94 and a 97 align to respectively?

meDAawesome

HSC
Fuck couldnt do the 2nd circle geo, the last part of binomial or the last part of the parametrics q. I feel confident for everything else tho

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
BOSTES should totally do that for a projectile question one year. "Tim throws a knife from ground level at John, who is 1.8 metres tall and is standing on a chair 1 meter high, 10 metres away. If Tim throws the knife at 45 degrees to the horizontal, and he wants to hit John's head, which is 30 centimetres high, what is the range of velocities which are possible for this to happen".

I mean they did a bomb question a month after 9/11, so surely nothing is out of the question right?
Would be cool if they did a projectile Q involving bouncing down a staircase or something (could easily throw in an induction with that too) :). (Maybe something like this would only be considered in BOS Trials though, not HSC.)

And haha, never consciously noticed that they did a bomb question a month after 9/11. But I think the papers are written a year in advance aren't they? So it'd have been pure coincidence.

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
I felt it was easy, much easier than previous years (but I think it was mostly luck, other people I saw weren't too happy with it).

That projectile question could've easily been made more tedious by making the projectile hit the wall at a point in its trajectory that was not the max. height, so that we'd have needed to calculate the angle it hits the wall at, and use this (and the law of reflection) to obtain the initial angle for the ball's motion after hitting the wall. :)
lol spent a whole five minutes on the part asking how high up the wall it was, because I kept subbing in 30cos30° instead of 30sin30°

As long as all my silly mistakes get cancelled out by partial marks, I'm set for 58/70. Should compensate for my pathetic 4U mark.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
lol spent a whole five minutes on the part asking how high up the wall it was, because I kept subbing in 30cos30° instead of 30sin30°

As long as all my silly mistakes get cancelled out by partial marks, I'm set for 58/70. Should compensate for my pathetic 4U mark.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the exact same position as you. 4 Unit absolutely destroyed me

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I felt it was easy, much easier than previous years (but I think it was mostly luck, other people I saw weren't too happy with it).

As long as all my silly mistakes get cancelled out by partial marks, I'm set for 58/70. Should compensate for my pathetic 4U mark.

I'm in the exact same position as you. 4 Unit absolutely destroyed me

Goatlicious

HSC
Fuck couldnt do the 2nd circle geo, the last part of binomial or the last part of the parametrics q. I feel confident for everything else tho
These are the exact questions i couldn't do... that and the tangent one....

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
Would be cool if they did a projectile Q involving bouncing down a staircase or something.
"BoS throws a student's dreams down a staircase with 10m high steps, with initial horizontal velocity of 2 m/s. Determine the velocity of the first collision with the staircase "

I'm surprised by this reaction...i found it relatively ease and im not even top gun
What would a 94 and a 97 align to respectively?
I felt the same. However, the fact you are asking about a 94 and 97 makes me doubt that you aren't even top gun.

(I hope my cohort didn't go horribly; I didn't go as well as I should have in internals)

calamebe

HSC
Would be cool if they did a projectile Q involving bouncing down a staircase or something (could easily throw in an induction with that too) :). (Maybe something like this would only be considered in BOS Trials though, not HSC.)

And haha, never consciously noticed that they did a bomb question a month after 9/11. But I think the papers are written a year in advance aren't they? So it'd have been pure coincidence.
Yeah that would be really interesting, haven't seen a question like that before. But yeah I noticed that while practising and was very surprised. And yeah the papers are written in advance, but surely it wouldn't be much effort to switch "bomb" to "cargo" or something similar.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah that would be really interesting, haven't seen a question like that before. But yeah I noticed that while practising and was very surprised. And yeah the papers are written in advance, but surely it wouldn't be much effort to switch "bomb" to "cargo" or something similar.
Do you think they intentionally made a bomb Q. because of circumstances at the time? I think it was just a coincidence.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also I'm going to start writing solutions at about 8pm tonight when I get home from work. But I am sure that there would have already been a set of solutions out by then.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)