Mathematics Extension 1 working out in Physics (1 Viewer)

PC Dandy

HSC
It has occurred to me that all projectile motion questions in Physics can be solved using the Maths Extension 1 methods of integrating from the horizontal and vertical acceleration equations ax = 0 and ay (aka g) = -9.8, instead of the prescribed equations on the formula list.
Has anyone doing both Physics and Maths Extension 1 attempted using such methods in a Physics exam?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
yes I did it in the 1/2 yearlies and my teacher didn't like it. I got the question out but he explained if i dun goofed up then I would get zero for the whole question. It is much easier just to sub into those formula's and whatnot rather than deriving from scratch. There wasn't enough paper either lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Never use MX1 in HSC Physics or Chemistry. You won't get the marks if you have one simple error that stuffed you up.

Work with the equations given on the formula sheet and remember all other formulas that are related but not on the sheet.

PC Dandy

HSC
Thanks for your replies. I had a feeling that such methods may not be allowed when looking at the marking guidelines of past papers.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
You can use it, but as said above, you'll lose all marks if you make a mistake.
But the formulas given to you are the same formulas you would derive anyway, so deriving them is a wast of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)