• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics Notes Survey. (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
As a student (or if you've graduated, 'when you were a student'), what would YOU have wanted personally for Mathematics notes?

For example, you may like lots of worked examples, or lots of proofs, or more theorems made clearer etc. Perhaps you wanted lots of diagrams, or colour booklets? Syllabus references? Separate Question/Theory booklet? Space left for questions, or a big list of questions and you use your own paper?

Please describe your IDEAL set of notes (within reason ofc).

Your feedback would be VERY much appreciated =)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yep, for the HSC. University notes tend to have fewer diagrams and more theory/proof.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I think lots of worked examples are good to get a grasp on how to approach questions (especially ones you are weak at).

Also maybe linking everything together to see how all the topics are related?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Personally I like questions/theory together, a tiny bit of colour (Maybe on the title pages and in Volumes) but not too colourful. Uh, I use line paper usually and would feel as though working in a question book a bit weird. Syllabus references are good.

Preferably

■ Detailed theory, a bit of examples to consolidate but not too many generic examples. Maybe have a small side note of common mistakes made by past students and highlight them in class?

■ The examples are not too squashed together and would leave adequate spaces for students to annotate if necessary.

■ Some colour as said before, but not too colourful that would hurt ones eyes.

■ A fair amount of theory, some may like lots? But others may want to get straight to the questions?

All I can think of atm.

kazemagic

HSC
Notes that only use diagrams when necessary (eg. circle geo). I dont like math notes that has tons of information all stuffed into a page. I lyke notes that are spaced out even if it costs extra paper, because makes them so much easier to read. I also like notes that are clearly organised in headings and subheadings eg. Heading: Circle Geo; Subheading: cyclic quadrilateral; Subheading: chord properties of circles; Subheading: angle properties of circle etc... Use different colours and font size for different parts in the notes. eg. Headings: black and large font. Subheadings: Red and medium font. Information: Blue and medium font etc. ..

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I had a really good teacher and he wrote very good notes on the board. I seriously couldn't have asked for more.

seanieg89

HSC
A collection of features I would consider important in a set of HS notes:

-Divided into small and logical sections.

-Each section ending with a collection of questions on the material covered in that section, ordered in roughly ascending order of difficulty and with past HSC questions labelled as such. A couple of difficult questions in each section with stars to denote their difficulty. Students use their own paper.

-Each section beginning with some motivation and for more important topics historical background, eg the historical development of differential calculus and an explanation of why the notion of infinitesimal change is ubiquitous in the natural and social sciences.
I find this engages students pretty well and helps them enjoy what they are learning a little bit more, which can help performance a great deal.

-Important results boxed and given easy to remember names.
For the small part of each of us that is a rote learner. Memorisation is undeniably an important part of any learning process and steps should be taken to make important facts more memorable.

-Proofs of frequently used results included, with some steps as exercises.
This would encourage students to understand WHY the important results in the course are true and appreciate their significance.

-Examples of applications of every important result, preferably through past HSC questions with a fully worked and explained solution. For some topics like probability applications to real life can be provided, via games like poker and blackjack.

-Scattered throughout, a bunch of "Protips", random little tips and tricks that don't really fall under the category of mainstream theory.

So each section would ideally be of the form:

Section title
Historical Background and Motivation
Theorem
Example
Theorem
Example
etc
Theorem
Example
protip about trick used in previous example
Exercises.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot for all your feedback guys! I appreciate your effort very much =)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I don't think good notes alone can help one learn maths well.

I think a teacher or tutor who explains the implications of the notes in a way that the student can remember the critical facts is a much better way of learning/teaching.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

I think a teacher or tutor who explains the implications of the notes in a way that the student can remember the critical facts is a much better way of learning/teaching.
He's following the traditional tutoring system I think. He's not asking students to learn maths from notes but rather have a supplementary material to look at as well as questions.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I am very well aware that a good set of notes cannot substitute a good teacher, thank you.

These notes are to supplement my own teaching, and I want students to have the very best set of notes that they possibly can, within reason.

seanieg89

HSC
The odd mathematical joke would be a good addition :p.

deswa1

HSC
I am very well aware that a good set of notes cannot substitute a good teacher, thank you.

These notes are to supplement my own teaching, and I want students to have the very best set of notes that they possibly can, within reason.
Sounds like a good plan- top tutor attitude =)

Personally, I'd like notes to cover the theory (but I don't need too much on that). The main thing would be to have nice worked examples but a lot of textbooks just do simple worked examples, I'd like worked examples for some of the harder or more original questions. Also, I would like to have past HSC questions throughout the exercises and say at the end of each topic, have a list or examples of where students make their sillies so students know what to look out for.

Also, you might want to have a column at the side for small tips and stuff.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Theory augmented with examples - preferably HSC style questions. Colour makes the notes nice too.

Basically anything in the mould of nigel simmons' website - I think that's an excellent example of good maths 'notes'.

Peeik

HSC
Believe it or not, the font plays a huge role. You dont want something that is too "boring". You want a font that is easy on the eye when a student reads it.

That probably sounded very strange, but nonetheless the font used in latex is the best font i've seen so far. So if you are willing to latex your notes, then I think it would be a bonus for your students. But then again, that might of just been my preference as a student.

Rezen

HSC
Personally I would like to see a section to each topic that isn't aimed at doing HSC questions, but actually learning the theory properly. Something more in the style of this. Obviously, not so difficult. But with more leaving things as problems for the student to figure out and open ended questions. Not only do I think this would lead to a deeper understanding of the theory, it would leave students better prepared for the more out of the ball park later questions that tend to be asked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)