Maths Advanced Survey on STEM subjects: "Why don't more girls study Extension Maths and Physics?" (help a fellow introvert) (1 Viewer)

yangman946

HSC
Hi all! I'm working on a school assignment which requires me to conduct an investigation regarding the question: "Why don't more girls study Extension Maths and Physics?".

The anonymous survey takes around 2 - 5 minutes to complete with only 5 questions regarding your career options and subjects you are currently doing/are planning to do. This survey is designed for girls going into / already in yr 11/12, but responders of other ages are also welcome.

Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you! Thanks.

(my assignment is due 4/12/2020)

Attachments

Time&moretime

HSC
The STEM classes is sometimes seen as a 'boys club'. The tide might be changing when there is a 113% increase in fees for Humanities and a 20% decrease in fees for Science courses in uni.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
The STEM classes is sometimes seen as a 'boys club'. The tide might be changing when there is a 113% increase in fees for Humanities and a 20% decrease in fees for Science courses in uni.
mmm possibly, but i'd say it's more about the social stigma that surrounds those courses rather than fees.

And stigma is by no means something easy to change lol

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
One of the things I really dislike are these fee increases. It's really just a crappy shortcut method. The only demographic where I see it having a positive impact for the future of STEM is people who like Humanities and STEM equally and are unable to decide which to choose. The fee increase will then help in the decision making for choosing STEM. That's probably?(I don't know the statistics for this so it's an educated guess) a very small demographic otherwise if people are choosing STEM because of increased fees even if they like Humanities more, they are probably not gonna make good Scientists or Engineers. The motivation/drive most likely will not be that strong.

Time&moretime

HSC
A lot of talking heads have been poking at this since Tehan's announcement. Its for the students who are capable in both and are undecided. Not a perfect initiative but people do get motivated by 'price'.

popjin

HSC
Nevertheless, it's still a pretty shitty initiative considering that funding per student decreases in all degrees which means a lesser quality of education and student experience as a whole

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Hi all! I'm working on a school assignment which requires me to conduct an investigation regarding the question: "Why don't more girls study Extension Maths and Physics?".

The anonymous survey takes around 2 - 5 minutes to complete with only 5 questions regarding your career options and subjects you are currently doing/are planning to do. This survey is designed for girls going into / already in yr 11/12, but responders of other ages are also welcome.

Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you! Thanks.

(my assignment is due 4/12/2020)
why the fuck did you post a pdf that contains the link? Just post the damn link

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Nevertheless, it's still a pretty shitty initiative considering that funding per student decreases in all degrees which means a lesser quality of education
Citation need

popjin

HSC
Citation need
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/in...m/news-story/7680d20e07389476dc37c17f32271fcb

But, to achieve this in a time of budget constraint, the cost is not borne by the government. Instead, students pay more and universities are asked to stretch their resources more thinly. So despite the fact fees for nursing and teaching degrees will drop, average student fees will rise 7.8 per cent from $8644 to $9319. And universities, already reeling from the impact of COVID-19, will get less government subsidy for teaching each student. It will fall by 16 per cent from an average of $11,953 to an average of $10,070 a student per year.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...put-quality-of-education-in-australia-at-risk

...noted there was “much devil in the detail” of the Coalition’s plan, saying a decrease in both the government and student contributions to science and engineering degrees would leave “a burden of about $5,000 per student per year for universities to absorb”. That would add up to an impost of “tens of millions of dollars each year” for UNSW.

But he added: “If the funding per student decreases at the same time as government funding for research is constrained, the quality of university education and research in Australia will be at risk.”

Despite the intended net-neutral impact of these changes, overall government funding as part of this bill reduces meaning universities have to cover more costs themselves such as through cuts to jobs or facilities which we're already seeing from pretty much every university

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/in...m/news-story/7680d20e07389476dc37c17f32271fcb

But, to achieve this in a time of budget constraint, the cost is not borne by the government. Instead, students pay more and universities are asked to stretch their resources more thinly. So despite the fact fees for nursing and teaching degrees will drop, average student fees will rise 7.8 per cent from $8644 to $9319. And universities, already reeling from the impact of COVID-19, will get less government subsidy for teaching each student. It will fall by 16 per cent from an average of $11,953 to an average of $10,070 a student per year.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...put-quality-of-education-in-australia-at-risk

...noted there was “much devil in the detail” of the Coalition’s plan, saying a decrease in both the government and student contributions to science and engineering degrees would leave “a burden of about $5,000 per student per year for universities to absorb”. That would add up to an impost of “tens of millions of dollars each year” for UNSW.

But he added: “If the funding per student decreases at the same time as government funding for research is constrained, the quality of university education and research in Australia will be at risk.”

Despite the intended net-neutral impact of these changes, overall government funding as part of this bill reduces meaning universities have to cover more costs themselves such as through cuts to jobs or facilities which we're already seeing from pretty much every university
Good job not actually providing a source for the part I bolded, dumb dumb

popjin

HSC
Good job not actually providing a source for the part I bolded, dumb dumb
Actually read the post dude. I literally took out the relevant extracts for you.

Because they're useless and (most) of humanities is a colossal waste of resources and costs the government money they could better use elsewhere
Which is why they were comparatively cheap before these reforms. You got sources for anything you're saying?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Actually read the post dude. I literally took out the relevant extracts for you.
None of that proves that the quality of education will suffer

Which is why they were comparatively cheap before these reforms.
Which is why they SHOULDN'T be cheap, because it encourage people to do them. They shouldn't.

You got sources for anything you're saying?
You need a source to tell you that degrees in philosophy and gender studies are worthless?

Cascade

HSC
None of that proves that the quality of education will suffer

Which is why they SHOULDN'T be cheap, because it encourage people to do them. They shouldn't.

You need a source to tell you that degrees in philosophy and gender studies are worthless?
There's lots of truth and relevance in philosophy and gender studies - relevance to society and the way it functions or should function, and revealing truths about the dynamics between groups, history, elaborating and critically analysing concepts. There's value for a society to have citizens be equally informed and thoughtful about the workings of that society! Even if you deny the idea that 'something can be worthwhile to study even if it doesn't provide rigid job outcomes and benefits' (like... you know, studying theories about the *truth* of things is therefore irrelevant), the level of creativity, critical thinking etc something like philosophy cultivates makes it good brain exercise and betters workers in other areas (and contributes to higher earnings funnily enough, philosophy majors in the US anyway).

And let's just ignore some of the greatest thinkers and scientists that graced this planet were philosophers and had their other more 'helpful' studies informed by that study.

(also bruh USyd is on a warpath to cut half of MedSci staff, units are being removed in every university, if unis are expected to cover the same/higher costs with less funding what do you think will likely happen to quality??? mega brain energy. mega troll energy <3)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)