maths at uni (1 Viewer)

are you planning on majoring in maths at uni?

• Yes

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
KFunk said:
Dude, you'd be able to predict the future and stuff. You could become a super hero.
lol.
It might give you a greater ability to predict the future, but it doesn't mean you'll be right. If doing AS could give you that power, then:
1. Everyone who was capable would do it
2. Earth would essentially be stuffed, coz 99% of the world's wealth would be held by actuaries...I don't whether that's such a good thing :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
actuarial studies is way over hyped by high school students....
back in the last century, even when theres only 1 uni offering it, the market was getting stagnant, now with 4 unis offering it in aust. theres definitely an oversupply, i think only ~30% of current graduates actually get employed in the actuarial field in australia, most working in other areas in commerce or going overseas. A significant proportion of Fellows (those who gained part III) are not working in aust. btw that's assuming you pass the course and get your exemptions(15% failed an introductory 1st yr actuarial course at unsw) However if you get through all that your wage increases really fast(but you have to work pretty hard too)

as for combining maths and commerce, besides majoring in actuarial studies, or actuarial/maths, quite a few people are also choosing to major in finance/maths for their Bcom/BSci. UNSW also offers a financial maths program for those doing just a Science degree majoring in maths.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I'm intending to do a double maths major, but I may consider maths/stats or maths/phys.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
I'm intending to do a double maths major, but I may consider maths/stats or maths/phys.
Reconsider wanting to do stats...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
actuarial studies is way over hyped by high school students....
back in the last century, even when theres only 1 uni offering it, the market was getting stagnant, now with 4 unis offering it in aust. theres definitely an oversupply, i think only ~30% of current graduates actually get employed in the actuarial field in australia, most working in other areas in commerce or going overseas. A significant proportion of Fellows (those who gained part III) are not working in aust. btw that's assuming you pass the course and get your exemptions(15% failed an introductory 1st yr actuarial course at unsw) However if you get through all that your wage increases really fast(but you have to work pretty hard too)

as for combining maths and commerce, besides majoring in actuarial studies, or actuarial/maths, quite a few people are also choosing to major in finance/maths for their Bcom/BSci. UNSW also offers a financial maths program for those doing just a Science degree majoring in maths.
the actuarial graduate labour market can be expected to get worse in the coming yrs. many companies are considering outsourcing the entry-level ish analytical work to Indian actuaries for cheap. Also, IAA branching out and setting exams in more Asian countries will most likely be to the detriment of Australian students as it will increase competition.

the advanced science program in maths and finance is crap compared to the double degree BCom/BSc (Finance & Maths) at unsw.
1) u waste time doing extra science subjects and gen eds
2) less choice in finance and maths subjects
3) u cant do a proper Honours yr
4) u cant graduate with a Stats major
A lot of ppl in the advanced science degree often underperform compared to the double degree students.

compared to usyd, there isnt as many financial maths subjects to do at the undergrad level in the maths degree. but if you have performed relatively well u can take the postgrad ones but they often require a fairly good working knowledge of pure maths - especially in Analysis, probability and stochastic processes.

The actuarial profession is open to ppl from all numerate disciplines.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Why would anyone want to do only maths at uni and have the only career oportunity of becoming a TEACHER? and basicly get no respect from students until they get to like year 12........

What a waste of time, i agree i would actually want to do a course like that (or a pure science course) but the only reason i bother to study is to get a good UAI and to be able to get a good career....

The chances of you figuring out a new theorm (especially in maths...it would be easier in sciences) is so low that we can basicly rule it out. So getting rich with maths is out of the Question..

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
haboozin said:
Why would anyone want to do only maths at uni and have the only career oportunity of becoming a TEACHER? and basicly get no respect from students until they get to like year 12........

What a waste of time, i agree i would actually want to do a course like that (or a pure science course) but the only reason i bother to study is to get a good UAI and to be able to get a good career....

The chances of you figuring out a new theorm (especially in maths...it would be easier in sciences) is so low that we can basicly rule it out. So getting rich with maths is out of the Question..
so every1 im fuked.... lol...
after an actuarial degree (3years) if you then go in2 the academe and pass that, u become an actuarials... i have a relo who does it n if u pass te academe it like 100k a year easly, n that increases

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
haboozin said:

I'm very busy, so I'll make this short:

You're dead wrong.

Maths today is more active than it has ever been before - including in the time of the Greeks and in the Renaissance. There is so much being discovered and many discoveries being made. But there's also so much left to BE discovered. The chances of you figuring out a new theorem are actually high if you do honours or higher. This is simply because there's more maths to discover than thare are mathematicians. As for money - statistics will obviously land you a very high paying job in finance or risk assessment or related. Applied and pure will also land you moderate to high paying jobs in science, finance or other related fields again. Indeed, getting rich with maths is a likely scenario. And we haven't even really considered combining maths with some minor knowledge in science or finance here - something which would again increase job prospects! This all assumes, of course, that the only reason one does a degree is for money - very shallow and contemptible reasoning.

Your perception of courses and careers is severely limited and retarded in nature.

HayleeKate

HSC
I do 4u maths and top it at my school, I enjoy maths, its close to my favourite subject, but I have no intention of doing any maths at all at uni. I was probably heading to Internation Relations and global trade. I think the only reason I do 4u maths is to prove the head maths teacher wrong because he thinks I girls cant do it.
Its actually a big joke with my maths teachers that I want to be a waitress when I grow up, and I happily would.. perhaps I should drop to general?...

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I'm very busy, so I'll make this short:

You're dead wrong.

Maths today is more active than it has ever been before - including in the time of the Greeks and in the Renaissance. There is so much being discovered and many discoveries being made. But there's also so much left to BE discovered. The chances of you figuring out a new theorem are actually high if you do honours or higher. This is simply because there's more maths to discover than thare are mathematicians. As for money - statistics will obviously land you a very high paying job in finance or risk assessment or related. Applied and pure will also land you moderate to high paying jobs in science, finance or other related fields again. Indeed, getting rich with maths is a likely scenario. And we haven't even really considered combining maths with some minor knowledge in science or finance here - something which would again increase job prospects! This all assumes, of course, that the only reason one does a degree is for money - very shallow and contemptible reasoning.

Your perception of courses and careers is severely limited and retarded in nature.
good old slide rule, a great post and a lil humour 2 finish it all off..
i was researching that nanotechnolgy crap u were talk 2 me bout, it sound alryt 93 or so at usyd, so should be a problem... intresting shit thou, apparently they feild is govement run, but cos they invent stuff left right n centre its self sustains itself, n nea run out of funding
how does it pay because althou i might seem shallow, i intend 2 have a family with children and i want 2 be able 2 suport them (oh k dont tease me cos like im finkin like that at 17, its a wog fing)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Nanotech at USyd is often described as lacking.
UNSW Nanotech is inflexible.
Joy for you :p

I won't be doing any maths after high school if all goes to plan: you really need to get at least honours to extract any mileage from your maths degree. If you want to do something other than finance stuff/teaching you either have to have another skill to combine with maths or you have to be really talented at mathematics.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
more maths?? waiting.........no m8

rama_v

HSC
Im hoping to do nanotechnology, but Im not sure what uni as of yet. I will probably end up going to UTS, but I hear the career opportunities are not as good in Australia but its growing...

Estel

Tutor
HSC
JamiL I think accounting is what you're after. Maybe actuarial studies and a move to Asia.
Or perhaps the life of a stockbroker.

Trev

stix
HSC
JamiL said:
how good do vets get paid??? ne1
I have a feeling veterinary science would not be a degree to 'coast through', neither would actuarial studies. Vet. science is 98.45 at some uni, I forget, so unless you're willing to work your ass off this year, good luck! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)