maths at uni (1 Viewer)

are you planning on majoring in maths at uni?

• Yes

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
rama_v said:
Im hoping to do nanotechnology, but Im not sure what uni as of yet. I will probably end up going to UTS, but I hear the career opportunities are not as good in Australia but its growing...
UNSW's nanotech course is great, but it is biased towards chemistry and biology and you can't do anything other subjects with it. UTS is biased towards physics and is not as comprehensive but can be combined.

I'm going to the University of Queensland to do it. Nice funding, a strong research interest of the uni, a nice course. It's broad but not just a token effort like USyd.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Well i guess there would be some maths involved in the commerce/arts degree that i am aiming for, but it's not as if i'm going to do pure maths at uni, that would just be asking for punishment, unless your Steele ofc....... :p

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
i was jkn about the coasting, i dont wanna leave australia or sydney. my life is hear, and the ppl i luv, my family n friends are here... i dont even wanna move 2 melbourn oe qld 4 uni.
vet is 98.45 in syd and i wanna go 2 syd if i dont get in medicine in nsw, or actuarial in mac (althou not sure about actuarial). i want 2 get in2 a uni course were i can make money, not be a billion are (oh k that would be nice but im not aiming 4 that). i want enough money 2 enjoy life without having 2 struggle...
98.45 dose scare me 2 much either i hoping i can do a lil better than that, but some of my friends believe i have 2 high expectation of myslef...
vet is good 2 cos it involves alot of science, which i enjoy... anything 2 do wif physic, chemistry or biology, with maths (not full fukd up shit... nice simple stuff) i would be happy wif. i still am not sure of were im heading as medicine is by no means a garentee, so im looking at my options.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
a) Do you like pets?
b) Do you hate the sight of blood?

Answer, No to a) and/or Yes to b) and neither Vet or Med would be good for you... :p
Btw. this applies to anyone thinking of doing either of these two courses...unless in doing Med, you veer into the research aspect of it, but you still haven't to do practical hospital work during uni anyway.

JamiL

HSC
nah i could cut ppl up.. in the nice way possible, althou i would have a problem pulling the plug on som1, if it was my desition i dunno wot i would say. im glad in australia it wouldn be mine.
animals are kool...:D
if ur a vet, ur a Dr aye
:D:D:D thats a good 1 2 say 2 ur GF mum, im a Dr maam... :D

Estel

Tutor
HSC
If you're doing it for the title, do a PhD and save the world from the misery of another dodgy clinician.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Trev said:
Haha, you humour me Slide. You made a good point, a degree in mathematics sounds more appealing now.
Well thanks to Godel mathematicians will never be out of demand :p

JamiL

HSC
Estel said:
If you're doing it for the title, do a PhD and save the world from the misery of another dodgy clinician.
do a PhD and wot become a teacher... lol. nah ofcourse im not doin it 4 the title, but it would be a perc of the job...
but i would like 2 become a doctor wether it is a gp, surgent, dentist, optometrist, vet etc. not cos 4 the name, cos u help ppl (or animals)

Trev

stix
HSC
JamiL said:
do a PhD and wot become a teacher... lol. nah ofcourse im not doin it 4 the title, but it would be a perc of the job...
but i would like 2 become a doctor wether it is a gp, surgent, dentist, optometrist, vet etc. not cos 4 the name, cos u help ppl (or animals)
That's not the true reason, you want the title for the money! :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Trev said:
'Hey everybody' - 'Hey Dr. Nick!'.

Myesss..... I know who Godel is :rolleyes: *starts googling*.
Godel showed that there is some thing you couldn't prove without an infinite amount of axioms.

Basically he constructed an arithmetic equivalent to: "This statement is false"

Since you can't prove everything there will always be a job for mathematicians ;)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
JamiL said:
nah i could cut ppl up.. in the nice way possible, althou i would have a problem pulling the plug on som1, if it was my desition i dunno wot i would say. im glad in australia it wouldn be mine.
animals are kool...:D
if ur a vet, ur a Dr aye
:D:D:D thats a good 1 2 say 2 ur GF mum, im a Dr maam... :D
im not sure about your culture, but im sure that there are cultural influences that impact upon ones decision to study a university course. Especially in the eastern world.

JamiL said:
Then why not become say one of the public services such as a Policeman, or a Nurse, or a member of the defence forces, or a teacher? The list goes on...they all help people.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Xayma said:
Godel showed that there is some thing you couldn't prove without an infinite amount of axioms.

Basically he constructed an arithmetic equivalent to: "This statement is false"

Since you can't prove everything there will always be a job for mathematicians ;)
You forgot the most important point!

You can't tell if something is provable until you have proven it.

So people could try to prove something unprovable, which would keep mathematicians in a job, even if making them go insane.

JamiL

HSC
yer i am lebanese, or arabic which eva u like. my parents have no influence in my choices. my sister is at uni n she is doin a commerece/marketing degree, in highskool she did history mod, ext 1 history, buissness, english adv, 2u maths, legal. i do phys chem bio adv english 4u maths SOR1.. the only subject that we both did was english adv. my parents are preety liberal, because we have proved to them that we are responcible.
if my parents ever told me 2 study sumthing, id would, in the nicest way possible, tell them were 2 shove it.
i chose my courses off my own back because i enjoy them, and my mother was worried about me doin them all cos of the work load.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Slide Rule said:
You forgot the most important point!

You can't tell if something is provable until you have proven it.

So people could try to prove something unprovable, which would keep mathematicians in a job, even if making them go insane.
I would say that is the most important point in the context, but otherwise you forgot the point where any formal system that is interesting enough to formulate its own consistency can prove its own consistency iff it is inconsistent.

Captain pi

HSC
Templar said:
I would say that is the most important point in the context, but otherwise you forgot the point where any formal system that is interesting enough to formulate its own consistency can prove its own consistency iff it is inconsistent.
He did, but only for first-order predicate calculus.

What about transfinite induction? No-one ever stands up for it anymore!

I think all this talk about Gödel has used a bit too confused, obfuscating language. Ergo, here is my attempt to clear it up for the man-on-the-street.

Gödel stated that "To every omega-consistent recursive class kappa of formulas, there correspond recursive class-signs r such that neither (v Gen r) nor Neg(v Gen r) belongs to Flg(kappa), where v is the free variable of r."

Trev

stix
HSC
Captain pi said:
He did, but only for first-order predicate calculus.

What about transfinite induction? No-one ever stands up for it anymore!

I think all this talk about Gödel has used a bit too confused, obfuscating language. Ergo, here is my attempt to clear it up for the man-on-the-street.

Gödel stated that "To every omega-consistent recursive class kappa of formulas, there correspond recursive class-signs r such that neither (v Gen r) nor Neg(v Gen r) belongs to Flg(kappa), where v is the free variable of r."
Ah yes, that makes alot more sense to me now..... *cough* :confused:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Captain pi said:
Which only makes sense to those who understand it, but yes, that is the most formal definition.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Templar said:
Which only makes sense to those who understand it, but yes, that is the most formal definition.
I would presume that people who understand would be able to make sense of it...
But what the hell does it mean? :p :confused:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
But what the hell does it mean? :p :confused:
Basically, all consistent axiomatic systems of number theory contain undecidable propositions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)