Maths In Focus vs Fitzpatrick Vs Terry Lee Vs Cambridge (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Why does this thread still exist? :/

Math In Focus sucks lol

Use the other 2

/thread

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
MiF would be my recommendation. Chapter reviews and maths findawords are fun

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Not sure why MIF is getting this much hate. I strayed away from our class's prescribed textbook (SB Jones and Couchman) to use Maths in Focus and got the highest I've ever gotten: 87%. Nevermind about that though, I wanted to get a Cambridge textbook but I'm not sure what it's called and where to find it.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Not sure why MIF is getting this much hate. I strayed away from our class's prescribed textbook (SB Jones and Couchman) to use Maths in Focus and got the highest I've ever gotten: 87%. Nevermind about that though, I wanted to get a Cambridge textbook but I'm not sure what it's called and where to find it.
Are you kidding - are there actually schools that still use Jones and Couchman?
No wonder Maths in Focus looks so good to you.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Are you kidding - are there actually schools that still use Jones and Couchman?
No wonder Maths in Focus looks so good to you.
My school used a mix of jones and couchman and maths in focus for 2/3 unit. However in the HSC me+friend used cambridge and got 94, 98 respectively while the 3rd highest was 85 or something (used sb jones+ w/e his tutor gave him). This is for ext 1 btw. I argued to our teacher that we needed to get some cambridge books into the school, but he claimed it was "too difficult for our kids." Speak for himself much... I wrote a little comment clearly inside one of the S.B books to warn kids not to use it in the future lol.

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
get from a friend, or electronic copy if possible from teacher or something. Or just buy it from bookshop/online. Ditch the S.B and M.I.F nao.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
As much as Maths in Focus cops a heap of stick on these forums and from discussions from students that I tutor. I feel it is a good book in terms of explaining the basic concepts, examples right. The standard is 'easier' to make sure you get all your foundations right , and I personally like the book because its explained in colour and there are a heap of questions you can do. I have spent around 1 year trying to do all the problems in the Prelim and HSC book and think I have covered around 60% of the questions (putting in 2 hours a night)

In terms of another book which reinforces the concepts I actually recommend a textbook by Lee. Now the book is great because it has again coloured pages, worked out solutions and the questions are of a more challenging level. Also reinforcing material with past exam papers is essential. Look it doesn't hurt to have the whole set of books because I personally think in a busy year like year 11 and 12 it's all about 'time constraints' more than anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)