• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths in focus (3 Viewers)

Magical Kebab

HSC
This is the textbook we are using at school and I was just wondering if it's worth buying another book just because the questions in this seem kinda easy but the explanations seem great. So is it worth buying Cambridge for example?

Ms106

Complexity
HSC
Just use Maths in Focus then do Past papers.

Siddy123

HSC
Maths in Focus is great at explaining the concept.
However the quality of questions don't suffice.
Perhaps another book such as Cambridge or Fitzparick would be of greater help to you.
In regards to the pricing of these books, they are quite pricey, I suggest you look at the Buy/Sell Classifields, many EX-students are selling good condition books for incredibly low prices(20-25 bux?).

All the Best:)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I believe it is worth it to purchase the Cambridge series.

They have an excellent variety of questions catering to all skill levels, from the beginner to *perhaps* even the State Ranker.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I believe it is worth it to purchase the Cambridge series.

They have an excellent variety of questions catering to all skill levels, from the beginner to *perhaps* even the State Ranker.
But don't you think that Cambridge, in some cases have poor explanations?

qwerty44

HSC
But don't you think that Cambridge, in some cases have poor explanations?
Even if that is the case, he has Maths in Focus for explanations and simple questions. After that he can move onto Cambridge questions.

However I found that Cambridge explanations are pretty good, but like I said when it isn't just use Maths in Focus.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would look for Maths in Focus then do past paper questions. I got an E4 in MX1 (46) last year - what I did was learn concept from the textbook (Jones and Couchman) then go through past trial papers and do any question within range (by topic).

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Everything depends on the student, getting a Cambridge doesn't automatically mean a good mark.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Everything depends on the student, getting a Cambridge doesn't automatically mean a good mark.
That's true but if you look at the questions from Maths in Focus and Compare it to Cambridge. Maths in Focus' questions are darn simple and using Maths in Focus for HSC and with the questions in it won't put you up to the level of questions that are in the HSC.

such_such

HSC
My school used Maths in Focus mainly, but when it comes to revision, the teacher uses Cambridge questions. I reckon if you can successfully do the extension sections in Cambridge, you thoroughly understand the topic and ideas, which means you can basically do almost everything for that topic.

funnytomato

HSC
This is the textbook we are using at school and I was just wondering if it's worth buying another book just because the questions in this seem kinda easy but the explanations seem great. So is it worth buying Cambridge for example?
you could probably borrow one from school library or your teacher, and see how you find it
then decide whether or not it's gonna be a good investment

Peeik

HSC
Cambridge has good explanations but it can be hard to understand for those who arent use to the jargon used in math. But you already have MIF so you should get all your info there.
I suggest getting cambridge and do all the foundation and at least 80% of the development questions. Attempt the extension if you want a challenge. But as people above me have mentioned, a 'textbook' doesnt get band 6s/E4s unless you put in the hard work.

I highly recommend that you accompany this with exam papers from other schools so that you are well prepared for 'exam type questions'.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely worth buying Cambridge

seanieg89

HSC
I strongly recommend Cambridge as it is written by an actual mathematician (Dr Pender). The exposition is clear and the questions are excellent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)