• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths in focus (3 Viewers)

Aysce

HSC
Personally, I only use MIF when I learn a new concept to test my basic knowledge and move on to Cambridge and Fitzpatrick where the questions increase in difficulty.

iBibah

HSC
Well Cambridge does have the set of questions before development which are just as easy as MiF, but yes I would agree it can be good if you want to test basics (stick to Cambridge :D)

deb54

HSC
The Maths in Focus chapter on limits is wrong. Check the solutions, she has graphs that cross asymptotes! Crazy.

HSC
Graphs can cross asymptotes - just not at extremities...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Graphs can cross asymptotes - just not at extremities...
This. Just because there's an asymptote, doesn't necessarily mean we can't cross it. It just means that EVENTUALLY the curve has to approach it.]

Typical example:

The asymptote is the X axis (since as x -> plus/minus infinity, y-> 0), but there is most certainly an x intercept at the origin.

such_such

HSC
The Maths in Focus chapter on limits is wrong. Check the solutions, she has graphs that cross asymptotes! Crazy.
Not the sketching, rather questions that involve finding the limit is incorrect.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
This. Just because there's an asymptote, doesn't necessarily mean we can't cross it. It just means that EVENTUALLY the curve has to approach it.]

Typical example:

The asymptote is the X axis (since as x -> plus/minus infinity, y-> 0), but there is most certainly an x intercept at the origin.
What? Asymptotes cannot be crossed as n increases towards infinity.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What? Asymptotes cannot be crossed as n increases towards infinity.
I presume you mean 'as x approaches infinity', and yes they can. Refer to my above example. Here is the graph:

Like I said, as x -> infinity and x -> -infinity, the curve approaches 0.

However this doesn't necessarily mean that the asymptote is applicable everywhere, because the curve is very well-defined at the origin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)