• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

maths tutor (1 Viewer)

wish

HSC
hello there!

I am going through hell at the moment when it comes to maths. My teacher at school just doesn't care much about my progress so I have absolutely no motivation to do better.

I have gone through many tutors but can't seem to find someone who knows their information well or something who can express thoughts into words!

Yes.. I NEED HELP!!!

Anyone have suggestions for tutors who are good and teach at a reasonable price as well? my tutor at the moment is not that great but he charges $65 an hour. Oh and any suggestions for motivation?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
wish said:
hello there!

I am going through hell at the moment when it comes to maths. My teacher at school just doesn't care much about my progress so I have absolutely no motivation to do better.

I have gone through many tutors but can't seem to find someone who knows their information well or something who can express thoughts into words!

Yes.. I NEED HELP!!!

Anyone have suggestions for tutors who are good and teach at a reasonable price as well? my tutor at the moment is not that great but he charges $65 an hour. Oh and any suggestions for motivation?
If this is for 2unit, tell your tutor to fuck off and stop ripping people off.

I'd be inclined to tell you to look into the tutoring section of the forum located here

http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=482

and check out the threads.

Fuck, 65$ an hr is a ripoff.

kony

HSC
yeah 65 is a bit steep.

perhaps for a music lesson, but maths lesson?

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
lol, you can hire HSC graduates that does 4U and gets 1st in state or something for $30 here.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
wish said:
this is for maths and maths extension
OMG, look.
you THINK you need tutoring.
Just put in extra effort at home. Seriously. I got awesome in my 3unit HSC mainly because i put in so much effort in at home and any questions i couldnt answer i would ask my teacher.

Its supposed to be 80% you, 20% Teacher.

Once again, you THINK you need tutoring. tutoring isnt going to get you the marks.

Tutoring is just a waste of time and money

wish

HSC
thanks for the comments.

i dont know ... im so confused right now - i dont know what i should do

its just if i have a tutor i guess it would make me feel more confident that someone will be there to help me out but i guess its also true about the amount of effort you put in...

BUT..

my teacher has made me lose all source of motivation so i really dont know how to pull myself back up...

... help?

=(

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omium said:
OMG, look.
you THINK you need tutoring.
Just put in extra effort at home. Seriously. I got awesome in my 3unit HSC mainly because i put in so much effort in at home and any questions i couldnt answer i would ask my teacher.

Its supposed to be 80% you, 20% Teacher.

Once again, you THINK you need tutoring. tutoring isnt going to get you the marks.

Tutoring is just a waste of time and money
lol u are so prepared for uni if you were 2008.
but yeah i got bad results in 3u but im faring ok at uni level maths.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
lol u are so prepared for uni if you were 2008.
lol
I think one of the reaons im going "pretty good" at uni is the fact that i had to do EVERYTHING by myself at school.

Like i had a shocking chemistry teacher. so i literally taught myself the chemistry course and finished it in term 2 (2 terms before HSC).

Any questions that i didnt understand i just posted on this website (on my other username).

For maths, i would pay attention in class, then do exercises from the book at home, if i didnt understand, i would read the example questions then try again.

Any concepts or questions that i didnt understand i would just ask my maths teacher.
Honestly, im not lieing, i was in my maths teachers office AT LEAST once every 2 days. I was very close with my maths teacher, and although they MAY sometimes not explain it very well at least you know a method to get to the answer.

Reason for my post initially was that i get a little annoyed.
I have a tutoring class for maths, and they think that simply because they come to tutoring they will automatically get very good results.

Last edited:

wish

HSC
i know that paying $65 for a tutor is too much, but i dont want to tell my parents that either otherwise they'll get angry cause you have no idea how many tutors i've had - i keep changing because i just feel as though they just don't help as much.

lets see, one has a temper i.e. if i don't understand something he will shout and say 'i've explained it to you!!! what don't you understand?' and slaps on the table, it frustrates me to have such teacher! one has an asian accent which makes it hard to understand, the other one just wastes time - i just do homework when i'm with him and if i have questions, he'll help me and finally the one now.... still not satisfied.

it would be so good though to have the motivation to study myself, and i have other subjects too so i never find extra time for maths - which is a worry! so in a way, a tutor is a way to push myself i guess??

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wish said:
i know that paying $65 for a tutor is too much, but i dont want to tell my parents that either otherwise they'll get angry cause you have no idea how many tutors i've had - i keep changing because i just feel as though they just don't help as much.
Then maybe, tutoring isn't for you?

Why not tell your parents about it? I hope they understand. :cool:

wish

HSC
lyounamu said:
Then maybe, tutoring isn't for you?
ok NOW your starting to make me feel like this is going nowhere..

im so bloody screwed!

wish

HSC
i guess you guys are all right.
maybe i just haven't put in enough effort in the first place because of lack of motivation but i will work things out eventually.

thanks to all again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)