Matrix Revolutions.... (1 Viewer)

allyteaded

*falls over* Thank goodness I've reached the end of this thread! Hahhah...

Farnarcle, that interpretation was beautiful! I finally realise why Neo chose to defeat Agent Smith in that way! I'm keeping a copy just incase I forget. ^_~ *Copy**Paste* Hope you don't mind.

I really loved Revolutions but I think - reading what people kept saying about it - "it's dorky, it's crap" kind of put me off. I think you've renewed my appreciation for it - thanks! I'm going to keep on believing it was bloody awesome. (In the words of the Kid, "Neo, I believe!" hahhahah *rolls over laughing in stitches*)

Ahem. Anyway.

Reasons why I thought it was good: I thought that (almost) every character had something very important to say. Even Agent Smith was an appreciable character. Sure he rambles on and on about a purposeless existence but there's some gold in what he says. (He just says it too damn fast for me to remember after watching it twice.) The Indian man Romawhatsisname said that humans and machines/programs were alike. Love is a word. What is important is the connection that is implied. Niobe says something important even the Kid (no, not "Neo I believe" but about him saying that machines don't care how old he is, they'd kill him just the same.)

Anyway, I should say something different to everyone else.

In terms of Japanese Animation, I hear the Wachowski brothers are big fans. Hence the resemblence to dragon ball z in Agent Smith vs Neo face off. And hence their choise in the way they did "The Animatrix."

In fact, a lot of the themes explored in Animatrix can be found in Anime/Manga (Japanese animation and comics). For one thing, what Roma says about love being universal for humans and machines alike is one of the predominant themes in the "Chobits" manga (note, the manga not the anime.) The Architect scene in Reloaded kind of reminds me of the typical plot in an anime where the main character meets the "The Creator" figure. Some examples... maybe Serial Experiments Lain...? Err... hahah, I'll get back to you on that one. My memory's not so good as you can see. And the very colourful characters? The Albino Twins (funky bad-ass characters with style), Sati (I suppose she takes the role of the anime "cutie" and there usually always is child like character in an anime...), The Merovingian (a sub villan who is power hungry - usually a military commander with sharp cheek bones. Actually, his name is the name given to French Kings who were decendents of Jesus (something of the like.)) and his sexy, seductive wife Persephone, Trinity (typical heroine really who sometimes needs to be saved and sometimes saves her loved one) and Neo (typical Hero who starts off as an average guy but turns out to have super human powers and whose purpose is to save the world.) There are others but I believe I've babbled on too much and am boring you, no?

As per now, I think - part of the reason why people don't appreciate it is because they don't understand it. Or perhaps they don't know the story behind it. I've said it many times, you've got to watch "The Second Renaissance Part 1 and 2" at least from the animatrix. The situation of the world and humanity seems sad when you know what has happened to lead up to such a reality.

Farnarcle

You must read all the material to get a full view and appreciation.

Checklist:

Comics and assorted stories on website
Matrix
Animatrix
Reloaded
Enter the Matrix
Revolutions
(eventually) Matrix Online

A background in some Manga/Anime is good as well as some reading of Plato, particularily 'Republic' and 'Allegory of the Cave', and then some Jean Beudrillard's 'Simulcra and Simulcrum', to top it off.

I've been reading into this story since it first came out, and even started to create a fan fiction, so I needed to do some heavy research for that.

"I think you've renewed my appreciation for it - thanks!"

*chalks another one up on the board*

Hehe, thanks for that, I didn't think it would have that effect. You're explanation of Anime and the Matrix is one that I have yet to delve into, but I'm sure it will open up even more avenues of thought.

What I love about the Matrix is it brings the whle Sci-fi Genre together. The capes are homage to Superman, as well as the flying. Then there is the Anime style fights and the Star Wars plotline and bodily movements (Morpheous looking up into the sky at the end). I actually had one friend sitting next to me going 'Neo, I am you Father' in the Neo/Smith fight, another friend pointing out the Akira/DBZ explosions, and another babbling on about Superman.

You know what, we should set up a Matrix Theory webpage, where everyone can contibute to the final understanding. We can finally answer the question posed to up all those years ago.

What is the Matrix?

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
I, umm, kind of disliked it.

As an action movie, yep, it's alright.

As a Matrix flick... Umm... It just didn't appear to fit all that well.

It's just... everything was so CORNY. The love scenes. The bit where Smith eats the oracle and has a good belly laugh afterwards. The entire Smith/Neo fight scene.

THE ENDING. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Alright, he goes to see the machines, beats Smith up, then... Yay! Peace and happiness for all!
*Watches fluffy bunnies prance around the place*

That and the fact that the explanation of the blast-the-sentinels thing and Smith in 'The Real World' was limited to something like: "Why can I do all this crazy stuff?" "You have the Source" *Changes topic*

That, and there's no mention of Inner/Outer Matrices. I presume everyone's happy living in the Outer? Either that, or the Outer doesn't exist and Neo has funky powers in the real Real World.

I just walked out of the cinema with, umm, a bemused expression on my face. I couldn't really believe that the last two hours was meant to be the completion of the trilogy. *Sigh*

(No, I didn't read any reviews. :D )

(Yes, I've seen the Animatrix, and I'm into anime/manga. ^_^ )

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
A little more explanation, and not such a crap ending. And less cheesy dialogue. :D

Heck, it would've been a change for once if the machines won. Fscking American 'good-guys always win' storytelling...

Farnarcle

Ok. So you want the bad guys to win? Like, all the good guys get killed or maimed or something? Don't you get enough of that in real life. I mean, a story is supposed to take you away so you can forget about all that stuff, and you want to bring it back in?

And the good guys didn't win anyway, they just scraped throguh and managed not to get their ass toatally kicked, only a little. Again, it's about human evolution.

I really don't see how the dialogue could have been better. For goodness sake, the dude can fly, his speech is the least of your problems.

Lol, I think I'll calm down now.

chris42

HSC
Yes and No.. I think he doesn't, well not in the matrix at least.

Farnarcle

Well, his body is fine. The machines can fix that. And the One program can probabaly be written into his brain much like Smith did to Bane. But his brain that was current at the time was written over when Smith got him, so its not really him, anyway, if they reload his program into the body.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
this is a reply to this reply is to Macccca yes i doo indeed hav the divx its a bootleg copy from malaysia which is not dvd quality..man seriously dont draw conclusions if u dont know something its best sometimes to shut ur mouth.

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
Originally posted by zahid
this is a reply to this reply is to Macccca yes i doo indeed hav the divx its a bootleg copy from malaysia which is not dvd quality..man seriously dont draw conclusions if u dont know something its best sometimes to shut ur mouth.
um.....you may have it now seeing as it has been pirated many times, but when you posted it, it hadnt even been premiered let alone leaked, and a screener is out of the question.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
u know wat man i aint goona argue wit u over such a little thing...fine u believe i dont and i believe i do...lets just move on and jus fuk tha shit behind us....agreed?

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
Nope. Making fun of your desire to be 'hip' holds far too much enjoyment to go abandoning now. :D

man where the fuk did u come from..damm this shit dosent even concern u shut ur fucken mouth..and dont talk bout shit u dont kno...

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm i was very very disappointed after watching that. they bit off way more than they could chew with the 2nd one, where were all the philosophical stuff they brought into the 2nd movie? they didn't explain any of the previous matrices, choice, control blah blah blah. nothing. the fighting looked great, but there was way too much of it.
it was soo corny, especially when neo and trinity's love was just skimmed over by some kisses. great. i couldn't feel any emotional intensity either like muldersgun said.

hmm, so what was the purpose of the matrix? humans and machines had a war. humans scorched the sun, didn't have energy. machines control humans and gets energy from them. humans need some sort of stimulation, so machines created the matrix. First matrix was like Eden, but it failed because there was no suffering. And so the mother of the matrix created the new matrix where there was the illusion of choice. Different versions come and go, destroy>rebuilt>destroy etc.

Ok, so that means that at the end, humans are still not freed. Remember in the first one when Morpheus showed Neo the "real" world? There were definitely no happy pretty sunrises there.

My interpretation of the ending was that this was a different matrix. The illusion of choice failed because there were people who resisted it and were "freed" (although it was only a small percentage so hmm). And so this new world was just another matrix (after the Eden-like matrix, and then the "modern world" or whatever) which made humans think that they had complete choice. But they didn't. That's why the architect asked the oracle how long the "peace" will last, (how long before humans resist it, maybe?)
The machines couldn't have struck a deal with Neo, how else are they supposed to survive if humans are completely freed? And why would they give up their energy source for a program out of control?
And if the oracle is the mother of the matrix, then she's also the one who created the illusion of choice? Unless she's not the mother of the matrix, then who is? Or is it just another one of the points that was brought up in Reloaded that didn't get answered? (grrrrr)

The only thing that delivered was Hugo Weaving, he was really great :D

edit:
wait no ok, i just read some stuff. it turns out that neo fought smith in the matrix where he has overtaken everyone. hence he says, "do you like what i've done with this place."
so that makes more sense. that went over my head, sorry.

BUT DID WE SEE HOW HE DOES THAT? no. do we know what happened to Sati and Seraph? no. Persophone, such a fascinating character from reloaded, all she did in that freaking movie was sit and smile. greeeeat. And merovingian? who is he? in reloaded i swear there were so many hints that he was the prev. the one. ok, hmm yea, so is he? nothing. nothing. nothing. the architect only appeared at the end of the movie and played no role! what was the point of his character? his presence did not affect anything (except add weight to the eq'n/ineq'n. him/oracle), neo seeing him didn't mean anything because all the stuff that was raised in their meeting didn't mean anything.

arrrgh.

Last edited:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i just finished my hsc this afternoon, (don't fuken ask! :rolleyes:), and just like end of hsc was such an anticlimax, so was watching the matrix. i still maintain the 1st was the best, although persephone's tits were a pleasant distraction! :D:p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I saw revolutions the second day it came out.

Without seeing the first 2

I don't get it :(

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
omg rage, go and watch them on dvd or something...the first one definitely...you have to!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)